joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ravenel Bridge connecting Charleston and Mt. Pleasant has been shut down at this time. The ice is accreting here in the Lowcountry.

Knew it would only be a matter of time, likely the Don Holt will be next.   So far here, roads are ok, but about 1/8" of ice accretions on everything elevated

Greg Fishel keeps mentioning cooling cloud tops on the latest couple images of the water vapor loop stretching from SE AL through Central SC and the southern portions of Central NC...and streaking north.  Should be interesting!

Would that translate into more qpf for those areas?

Looks like the back edge is close to the W.S./GSO/H.P. area. Can we expect anymore in the area tonight or is everything shifting eastward at a good clip. Usually the mountains stop precipitation and there doesn't look like a lot, if any, other moisture south of us. Seems like most think this is a Wake County and east event now.

Greg Fishel keeps mentioning cooling cloud tops on the latest couple images of the water vapor loop stretching from SE AL through Central SC and the southern portions of Central NC...and streaking north.  Should be interesting!

I hate to even mention this but he also said there has been some discussion about how localized the totals will be.  He said it's looking like possibly 2" and RDU and 6" at Smithfield.  I hope it doesn't work out that way but it's looking possible.

I hate to even mention this but he also said there has been some discussion about how localized the totals will be.  He said it's looking like possibly 2" and RDU and 6" at Smithfield.  I hope it doesn't work out that way but it's looking possible.

We haven't had measurable snow in three years. Does it really matter? I'd love to have a bunch, too, but at this point we should be happy to get a couple of inches.

We haven't had measurable snow in three years. Does it really matter? I'd love to have a bunch, too, but at this point we should be happy to get a couple of inches.

Nope, not to me...I'm just passing along information.  I'm happy to see snow falling.  Would I of liked more?  Sure but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Me too man. GSP always gets screwed. The last event  was Christmas around 2010 or 11 and that was an anomoly.  This stuff that is dependent on eastern moisture rarely pans out for us. We need a huge storm from Texas to make the magic happen here in upstate SC. I've tried to post a comment twice today, but I guess newbies get filtered out.

Yes, colder cloud tops are typically inferred as stronger vertical motion (i.e. stronger precip). Water vapor imagery doesn't show cloud top temperatures though...IR does.

I knew that didn't sound right. Maybe he meant it was indicative of possibly colder cloud-tops.  thanks!

Snow stopped in my area at least I thought around 7pm. I live in northern pickens county just south of hwy. 11. I thought it stopped but, for the last hour or so it started snowing again and it is now getting steadier & steadier but, the radar is showing nothing. Is this band of snow coming into the nc mountains from tennessee a trough and causing redevelopment in the nw corner of sc? 

HALIFAX-NASH-EDGECOMBE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-WAYNE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROANOKE RAPIDS...NASHVILLE...RED OAK...
SHARPSBURG...SPRING HOPE...ROCKY MOUNT...SMITHFIELD...CLAYTON...
SELMA...BENSON...WILSON...GOLDSBORO...FAYETTEVILLE...CLINTON
920 PM EST TUE JAN 28 2014...

STEADY SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA... WITH RATES OF 1/2
INCH TO 1 INCH PER HOUR.... THROUGH AT LEAST 1 AM. TRAVEL
CONDITIONS MAY BE HAZARDOUS AND MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO USE CAUTION
AND REDUCE SPEEDS WHEN NECESSARY.

HALIFAX-NASH-EDGECOMBE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-WAYNE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROANOKE RAPIDS...NASHVILLE...RED OAK...

SHARPSBURG...SPRING HOPE...ROCKY MOUNT...SMITHFIELD...CLAYTON...

SELMA...BENSON...WILSON...GOLDSBORO...FAYETTEVILLE...CLINTON

920 PM EST TUE JAN 28 2014...

STEADY SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA... WITH RATES OF 1/2

INCH TO 1 INCH PER HOUR.... THROUGH AT LEAST 1 AM. TRAVEL

CONDITIONS MAY BE HAZARDOUS AND MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO USE CAUTION

AND REDUCE SPEEDS WHEN NECESSARY.

Great except thats not for us in the Triangle. We will be done within the next hour or two with about 2" total.

Archived