• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

That's the inverted trough I was referring to last night... its doing exactly what we expected producing a secondary axis of lift aiding in snowfall across WNC and even TN.

You sure did, and it is helping to aid snow development in the western Carolinas. I am not sure how strong it will get, the RAP has the pressure dropping to 1019 mb, so we will see. There could be some very unique enhancements across the mountains, foothills, and western piedmont of NC. Hard to say where, but someone may be surprised.

I believe you went to UNCA, this similar situation actually appeared on one of Dr. Miller's Synoptic test.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the inverted trough I was referring to last night... its doing exactly what we expected producing a secondary axis of lift aiding in snowfall across WNC and even TN.

I can not see how areas North and West of Greensboro in the Piedmont see even an inch with dry cold air still filtering in. I would be surprised if any location in Forsyth, Stokes, Surry, or Rockingam County sees an inch out of this. Hope I am wrong though for the people back home.

Surry County already has 1/2 - 1" on the ground with light snow continuing to fall.  I think Allans snowfall map is spot on.  Plus see above the comment by Phil (and WxJordan), the inverted trough really makes a difference.

It's interesting to note there seems to possibly be a couple of weak disturbances moving northeast. One seems to be over central alabama and moving into west ga and another back over southern ms. The rap has been showing for some time now these two enhanced areas of precip moving northeast and eventually moves into eastern sc/nc. You can really see it on the 500mb to 850mb vertical velocity.

It's interesting to note there seems to possibly be a couple of weak disturbances moving northeast. One seems to be over central alabama and moving into west ga and another back over southern ms. The rap has been showing for some time now these two enhanced areas of precip moving northeast and eventually moves into eastern sc/nc. You can really see it on the 500mb to 850mb vertical velocity.

Looking at the water vapor loop made me smile  http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html  :)

Each run of the RAP wants to sharpen the trough just a little bit more and get a little more south and a little more interaction with the southern energy in Mx.  I keep thinking it will scale back on precip but it's holding OK, I am sure it will over the next few runs but it is interesting how it's handling the two pieces of energy.

@NWSCharlestonSC

"Ice Storm Wrng has been changed to a Winter Storm Wrng. Dangerous ice still xpctd but risk for snow impacts are incrg."

I'd seen the graphic changed but the ZFP still had the ice storm warnings for extreme coastal counties.  Looks like now the totals at least for Dorchester county ranging from 2-6 inches now.  1-3 snow possible overnight, another 1-3 snow possible Wednsday

Each run of the RAP wants to sharpen the trough just a little bit more and get a little more south and a little more interaction with the southern energy in Mx.  I keep thinking it will scale back on precip but it's holding OK, I am sure it will over the next few runs but it is interesting how it's handling the two pieces of energy.

If the RAP is correct we're in for a historic storm. But as others have stated use it for trends....

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service
EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)
from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.
NOUS42 KWNO 281747
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1744Z TUE JAN 28 2014

FYI...The new RTMA v2.2.1 was implemented this morning effective
with the 14Z cycle.

The RTMA TIN, it details the directory structure changes

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin13-39rtma_q4aaa.htm

SDM/NCO/NCEP

We have no advisories, nothing just a special weather statement. Hmm 

Looking at the radar and the WV things are starting to come together and maybe a big surprise if the Vort in Mexico and the Energy coming down in west Texas phase.

Forgot it's being snowing since 7:30 with the road lightly covered and slick. Still snowing

Unless something goes horribly wrong in the next few hours 4-5" looks good for RDU, probably 6" where you are.  Still hesitant though.

The way the bands will orient themselves you and myself will probably get the same thing. I'm always hesitant with NC snow. It's real hard right now to see the storm developing and having to wait for it come/develop.  

We have no advisories, nothing just a special weather statement. Hmm

Looking at the radar and the WV things are starting to come together and maybe a big surprise if the Vort in Mexico and the Energy coming down in west Texas phase.

Forgot it's being snowing since 7:30 with the road lightly covered and slick. Still snowing

That's RNK for ya, when its over with they will issue a winter weather advisory

RAP.. 6pm... the 0 line already nearing RDU by then...

http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html?&model=rap&run_time=17z&param=850mbTSLPprecip&map=SE&run_hour=6&loop=trend

Definite NW trend... may just be a RAP bias but we'll see.  I-85 looking much better than what was forecast this morning.

I think it's been pretty good so far. It's interesting to note that the rap more or less stalls the back edge of the precip for a little while. I might only be 2 or 3 hours but the rap is showing some really good snow rates so it would make quite a difference.

edit to add the latest rap doesn't just slow it down, it has the back edge not moving at all for several hours. So very close here I'm right on the line. 15 miles could make the difference of 2 or 3 inches.

Archived