• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

Latest RAP is shifting that band of heavier moisture west in central NC. MBY keeps inching closer to the .50 mark. Gonna greatly depend on the bands we get under. 

Honestly looking at the 500mb flow it shows the trough sharpening up over TX,LA,AR which would pull everything back further west.

Considering the looks on WV I would expect this trend to continue and the model runs by rap to continue and even get better/wetter along the I85 corridor.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it takes that into affect. Even if it didn't and we assumed that the RAH estimate of .15 was correct that still leaves much of the east with .40 which would be 15:1 ratios so no complaining if it pans out!

Awesome. Thank you sir. That's what I thought. No complaining at all from me...and you KNOW THIS, MAN!

That is a BIG increase from one hour to the next. Not sure why, though.

I actually think models are a bit too quick moving the precip in. I'm talking about what will actually hit the ground.

Chris,

What is your forecast looking like for central Georgia?  I'm about 30 miles south of you and hoping that we at least get a mixture of IP and snow.  The NWS forecast is calling for predominately ZR and sleet.  According to them, we're not supposed to go over to all snow until after 3AM.  Appreciate your insight.

Chris,

What is your forecast looking like for central Georgia?  I'm about 30 miles south of you and hoping that we at least get a mixture of IP and snow.  The NWS forecast is calling for predominately ZR and sleet.  According to them, we're not supposed to go over to all snow until after 3AM.  Appreciate your insight.

El K, the nam has me with a lot more sleet, which I hope is true, but the gfs gives me less qpf, and all snow.   All along Ptree City has given me a mix.  And that's what coming down now.  But who knows once the real show begins.  T

Chris,

I still think we start out with a little bit of rain/sleet/freezing rain...maybe up to .20" of ZR/IP then 1-3" of snow after about 7pm.

12z NAM painting a slightly less icy scenario for Charleston as it cuts back on precip during this afternoon/evening (also keeps sfc temps a bit warmer).  Precip is now a bit heavier after 1am and lingers past noon, when the temp profile is more supportive of sleet and ultimately snow.

I know I don't post much, but I have always enjoyed reading you guys' posts on here. Are there any different ideas for the Upstate SC area? Specifically Greenville and Pickens Counties? Right now our local guys are saying anywhere between a dusting to possibly 2 inches with the high end of some estimates. 

The models don't matter (besides the rap for certain trends)...

this page has everything you need:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

The 850's are crashing right North of my house a little bit sooner it seems.  I still think there will be a sharp cutoff of predominantly snow vs sleet in Mildands of South Carolina as a whole.  Reading NOAAS discussion this morning reinforces that.  Just depends on where that warm nose is.

Temps were a little slow getting in here; but should continue to drop through the day.  Dewpoint is around 7 for KCAE proper.  Could be a good thing that we aren't into the negative dews as long as the surface temp comes down which I am sure it will, along with Larry, Tony, and Stormsfury's locations.  Here's hoping you guys get out of nasty ZR quickly!

Latest NAM and RAP are really moving the NW edge of the decent precip further NW.  This has pretty big implications for the Triad region.  If the models are to believed, the 3 inch line has moved between Greensboro and Winston where earlier runs had it closer to Burlington.  We will see if these totals verify, but I'm wondering what the models are picking up on?  It seems as if the overrunning moisture at the onset is merging with the main storm that was supposed to be confined to coastal SC/NC regions.  It's providing extra lift in the I-85 corridor I think which starts to fill in the gaps in these regions.  I don't think it will get all the way back to the foothills though.  Fun times!

Archived