joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole trend is going to be north, just like Larry was talking about. The cold didn't push as far south, therefore the line of heavier precip will be further north. They are still in the 40's along the Florida gulf coast, in the 50's in Savannah. I was almost 4 degrees warmer last night than I was suppose to be.

I assume most know this, well maybe not the new folks around here.

Always good to remind the group.

Thanks

Ok, but is that a fixed reflectivity or a dynamic reflectivity based on these conditions?

Edit: this is a very very dry advection based on nws asessment

This whole trend is going to be north, just like Larry was talking about. The cold didn't push as far south, therefore the line of heavier precip will be further north. They are still in the 40's along the Florida gulf coast, in the 50's in Savannah. I was almost 4 degrees warmer last night than I was suppose to be.

That's why you have to account for the NW trend every single time. I had a feeling cold air wouldn't penetrate as far south. Now it's looking like the area between Atlanta and Macon will be plastered when it was showing areas south of Macon before.

The RAP is taking into account that if you compare the sim refl to actual surface precip. 

Correct.

It sure is behind what was being shown just 24 hours ago. It's still only 33 here when I was supposed to be 25 or 26. Nam now has highs here around 35 or 36, gfs has temps staying about where they are, and the rap is just off the charts showing temps in to the low to even mid 40s. With very thick cloud cover, precip starting later this morning, those temps aren't going to happen most likely. In fact, the rap doesn't hardly show any surface cooling at all well after precip is reaching the ground..which is just impossible.

But mid 30s to even as high as 37 or so is not out of the question here if there is a delay in the precip. That is 10 degrees warmer than the nam/gfs were showing up until last evening.

Correct.

It sure is behind what was being shown just 24 hours ago. It's still only 33 here when I was supposed to be 25 or 26. Nam now has highs here around 35 or 36, gfs has temps staying about where they are, and the rap is just off the charts showing temps in to the low to even mid 40s. With very thick cloud cover, precip starting later this morning, those temps aren't going to happen most likely. In fact, the rap doesn't hardly show any surface cooling at all well after precip is reaching the ground..which is just impossible.

But mid 30s to even as high as 37 or so is not out of the question here if there is a delay in the precip. That is 10 degrees warmer than the nam/gfs were showing up until last evening.

i knew the cold air was delayed until it blasted through last night.  however i am a bit surprised - most of the cold air masses this winter have tended to be a bit (or lot) colder and stronger than anticipated and i assumed this one would be too.  interesting to say the least (and just shows even at the imminent beginning of a southern snow you still just never know lol)

Current 850

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/s19/850mb/850mb_sf.gif?1390913577425

Current 925

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/s19/925mb/925mb_sf.gif?1390913627907

Correct.

i knew the cold air was delayed until it blasted through last night.  however i am a bit surprised - most of the cold air masses this winter have tended to be a bit (or lot) colder and stronger than anticipated and i assumed this one would be too.  interesting to say the least (and just shows even at the imminent beginning of a southern snow you still just never know lol)

I know. The good news is, I think snow will start reaching the ground very shortly just south of atlanta if the returns hold firm. Even basic reflectivity shows returns now near the atlanta radar site which means it's making it pretty far down with top dbz on the order of 30dbz. Will be interesting to see just how heavy it has to be before it reaches the ground but I said yesterday whoever is fortunate to be under the initial band(s) of precip will see it reach the surface before most others. That band is forming in this direction so we'll see.

wow, my memory isnt the greatest when it comes to the previous model runs etc. but am thinking that is quite a bit different.  neither really seems anywhere near the coast at this point, and close to macon

Well if it does indeed turn out that way. Which it does look more favorable between I85 I20 and I95 I guess it will be a good bust

wow, my memory isnt the greatest when it comes to the previous model runs etc. but am thinking that is quite a bit different.  neither really seems anywhere near the coast at this point, and close to macon

Looks like the 850 front is lagging behind too. Which would support heaviest precip axis further west.

Checking MYR: They're at 37 with a TD of  only 16 as of 7 AM. So, wetbulb is now 30. Per the 6Z Goofy, they were progged to have temp of 36 but with a TD of 33 for a wetbulb of 35. Despite the lag of the Arctic air, this may be an ominous sign down the road with regard to the major ZR threat down the coast. I had thought that the lag would possibly save some in the SAV-CHS corridor (especially SAV) from a bad icestorm. Perhaps they still could be saved. However, this dry air will be advecting down the coast and likely make it to CHS within a few hours and to SAV a few hours after that. So, I'm not as hopeful. Stormsfury may be right about this air being too dry to prevent the widespread, sig. icestorm.

I know. The good news is, I think snow will start reaching the ground very shortly just south of atlanta if the returns hold firm. Even basic reflectivity shows returns now near the atlanta radar site which means it's making it pretty far down. That band is forming in this direction so we'll see.

Just looking out the window they are making it pretty far down here right now. Been virga-ing steadily since I got up this morning around 4:30. 

People are going about their normal routines in Atlanta. The interstate was packed and people were driving like maniacs. I could see a potential traffic nightmare getting ready to unfold for Atlanta.

Snowjam '88 redux? 

That early morning RAH discussion regarding dew points and .15 qpf to moisten the column was not what I expected to read this morning...especially after all the talk last night of the cold under performing in other areas.

I was expecting to see snow reach the ground here around 4pm...if that is still the case then I think the original accums will work out. Otherwise...losing one quarter of total accums in such a tight gradient could be painful.

I know. The good news is, I think snow will start reaching the ground very shortly just south of atlanta if the returns hold firm. Even basic reflectivity shows returns now near the atlanta radar site which means it's making it pretty far down. That band is forming in this direction so we'll see.

even though its virga, i will admit it is certainly nice to see the radars all starting to fill in (usually its the opposite it seems).  the heavier returns are showing up near atl so hopefully you are right and it will soon saturate and reach the ground.

That early morning RAH discussion regarding dew points and .15 qpf to moisten the column was not what I expected to read this morning...especially after all the talk last night of the cold under performing in other areas.

I was expecting to see snow reach the ground here around 4pm...if that is still the case then I think the original accums will work out. Otherwise...losing one quarter of total accums in such a tight gradient could be painful.

I think we'll be okay once the precip gets here and we won't be wasting much.

Archived