• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

Can someone post a WxBell snow map of the 12Z Euro?

That is a copyrighted image, as are all WxBell maps, FYI.  If it gets out into the public domain via FB or Tweeter, fine, link it, but the EC graphics from WxBell are off limits, no need for a JB vs American type deal.  May I suggest wunderground, check out the precip, temps, and do the math.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a copyrighted image, as are all WxBell maps, FYI. If it gets out into the public domain via FB or Tweeter, fine, link it, but the EC graphics from WxBell are off limits, no need for a JB vs American type deal. May I suggest wunderground, check out the precip, temps, and do the math.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Oh. Thanks I forgot about wunderground.

From NWS Raleigh:

LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
AS OF 255 PM FRIDAY...

A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE AREA SATURDAY NIGHT...DROPPING
1000-850MB THICKNESSES BACK DOWN TO AROUND 1260M SUNDAY MORNING.
HOWEVER...THE LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL QUICKLY BACK AROUND TO
SOUTHWESTERLY AHEAD OF A STRONG COLD FRONT SURGING THROUGH THE
MIDWEST STATES. IN ADDITION TO MAINTAINING A THREE DAY STREAK OF
HIGHS IS THE 40S...THE WARM ADVECTION WILL DRAW MOISTURE OVER NC
FROM THE SOUTH...BUT FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW THIS AS MAINLY MID-
LEVEL MOISTURE AT OR AROUND 10K FT. THE LACK OF MOISTURE DEPTH AND
DRY SUB-CLOUD LAYER SUGGEST THE LIGHT QPF GENERATED BY THE GFS AT
12Z MONDAY IS OVERDONE. LOWS SUNDAY NIGHT WILL BE RELATIVELY MILDER
COMPARED TO PREVIOUS NIGHTS DUE TO THE SOUTHERLY WIND AND CLOUD
COVER....DROPPING INTO THE LOWER 30S. IF PRECIP WERE TO
DEVELOP...THERE IS A SMALL CHANCE OF A PTYPE CONCERNS BUT IT WOULD
TAKE HEAVIER RATES TO OVERCOME AND WETBULB THE DRY LOW-LEVEL AIR.

MODELS ARE IN DECENT AGREEMENT ON THE STRONG COLD FRONT MOVING
THROUGH CENTRAL NC LATE MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...WITH THE
UPPER TROUGH DEEPENING ONCE AGAIN AND SETTING THE STAGE FOR ANOTHER
PERIOD OF TEMPS WELL BELOW NORMAL FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK. WHILE
MODEL SOLUTION OF THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN AGAIN LOOK FAIRLY STABLE
AND CONSISTENT...THERE ARE DIFFERENCES REGARDING SHORTWAVES WITHIN
THE TROUGH THAT COULD HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ON PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL NC. THE ECMWF CONTINUES TO BE THE MOST AGGRESSIVE MODEL WITH
A DIGGING NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE ON WEDNESDAY THAT INDUCES
CYCLOGENESIS OFF THE CAROLINA COAST. THE GFS ISNT QUITE AS
AMPLIFIED AND DEVELOPS A LOW FURTHER EAST OFFSHORE. IN EITHER
CASE...CURRENT MODEL PROJECTIONS KEEP PRECIP...SNOW...CONFINED TO
MAINLY TO THE COASTAL PLAIN.
THIS WILL CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED.

Eastern NC is looking pretty good right now for snow.  I would be a bit concerned along the coast but inland looks to do pretty well based on the current modeling.  I would love to see this thing start up in the GoM and go Miller A on us.  Someone please chime in regarding that being a decent possibility or wishcasting.  I'm beginning to become a touch concerned for areas such as Atlanta and westward.  If the models don't start moving towards a more favorable solution for us we could be on the outside looking in.

Folks from ATL to GSO, I would not throw in the towel by any means, for one, you never want to be in the sweet spot 5 days out as systems never verify exactly as modeled given the time step.  Second, I see a good bit of evidence based on the GFS/ECMWF 200 and 300mb jet structure that could lay down concrete from Augusta to Raleigh, which has implications for areas along 77 down to Columbia, and further west.  Just saying, still at that range where it could go to hell in a hand basket quick, but do not feel is the case this go around.  Ens support stating that even with the variations at input and how they progress, consensus is there for a similar solution.  Support for at-least some form of a coastal - offshore lp is high, GoM influence remains to be seen, Gulf stream baroclinic zone is a no brainer imo.  Granted, a more energized trough axis going neg tilt west of the MS will cut a low inland, this does not appear to be the case this go around.  If the slp does trend over the next 72hrs closer to the coast, indicative of a more favorable but still pos tilted axis, look out given the cold core conveyor potential in place. 

Eastern NC is looking pretty good right now for snow.  I would be a bit concerned along the coast but inland looks to do pretty well based on the current modeling.  I would love to see this thing start up in the GoM and go Miller A on us.  Someone please chime in regarding that being a decent possibility or wishcasting.  I'm beginning to become a touch concerned for areas such as Atlanta and westward.  If the models don't start moving towards a more favorable solution for us we could be on the outside looking in.

Steve (weatherfide) wrote the discussion today but not the long range discussion for FFC. I wish he had but they are basically in lock step with the GFS. I'm not feeling this one for us Marietta. Maybe next time?

Just for reference, below is for RDU and ILM for the ind. members of the Euro for the past 3 runs.  Luckily Allan had this on his twitter for the previous runs, just something to compare to down the road.  Note, this is out of 51 members.

RDU            Accumulating     2"        6"+
1/24 - 12z       34                  21         9
1/24 - 0z         33                  21         7
1/23 - 12z       35                  23        17

ILM
1/24 - 12z       45                 36          26
1/24 - 0z         45                 35          28
1/23 - 12z       44                 32          26

Well from where I bed down at night, I will need to have a HUGH shift west to even get some flurries, (which is still possible) I want throw in the towel until Sunday after 12z runs if it's not way west of current models by then, I'm slinging the towel!!! But good luck to whoever scores with this one...  :snowing:

We now have the following:

Good Guys: GGEM, NOGAPS, DGEX, JMA, UKMET (possibly), Euro EPS.

Bad Guys: GEFS, OP Euro, OP GFS

At least for precip further inland.

It is getting that time to worry a bit if 00z models aren't any better for the OP of both the Euro & GFS.

We now have the following:

Good Guys: GGEM, NOGAPS, DGEX, JMA, UKMET (possibly), Euro EPS.

Bad Guys: GEFS, OP Euro, OP GFS

At least for precip further inland.

It is getting that time to worry a bit if 00z models aren't any better for the OP of both the Euro & GFS.

Not worried yet... let's see how things trend until Sunday. The "take-away" from today's runs are, for the most part, better than last night. The thing that I will be watching the most will be the trough axis and positioning as we head into the event. As was mentioned before, you do not want to be in the "sweet spot" right now. I will be pulling for the folks that don't normally see snow, but wishing that it pulls west as well. With the cold air available, most of the SE could get something wintry with this one.

Not worried yet... let's see how things trend until Sunday. The "take-away" from today's runs are, for the most part, better than last night. The thing that I will be watching the most will be the trough axis and positioning as we head into the event. As was mentioned before, you do not want to be in the "sweet spot" right now. I will be pulling for the folks that don't normally see snow, but wishing that it pulls west as well. With the cold air available, most of the SE could get something wintry with this one.

That's just it for me at this point. I really want the guys that don't hardly ever see snow get just blasted. Even when the models seem to depict a more westward entry of the disturbance in the PJ, it doesn't translate good for anyone downstream. It looks like an all or nothing possibility with the "all" being the coastal solution and the "nothing".....well, that's kind of obvious. Over the years, Larry has shown the ideal set ups for this part of the world and this isn't the most favored set up. We want the low to track in the northern gulf and over to around Tallahassee, FL.  If we have the block, that puppy rounds the corner and heads NE. We would be threading the needle with this system if it were to impact us. Just seems too many things have to go right but that is always the case I guess! Good luck to everyone though and maybe the EURO will bring good news to someone. This cold will truly be a waste otherwise.

I fully expect to see a DGEX clown map at some point this evening, James, Super.

72 precip, clown map still has not updated on NCEP, millage and verification may vary.

post-382-0-79324500-1390612310_thumb.jpg

Came across these "5-day forecast" Verification scores.. for 120 hrs out etc... lower is better.

Somewhat indicative of the day 5-6 performers, ~120hrs, ECMWF, UKMET, GGEM and GFS are battling for 3rd and 4th. My confidence did go up based on the 96hr UK graphic Allan posted, 12z. That was the model I was really waiting on to say this is legit. Expect the perturbations for the next 48 hours before things settle back down, maybe not as extreme as some guidance has suggested, but shovels should be at the ready nonetheless. Do not discount the NAM even at 72-84, if H5 is similar to the EC it is pretty much a lock under 120.

72 precip, clown map still has not updated on NCEP, millage and verification may vary.

Somewhat indicative of the day 5-6 performers, ~120hrs, ECMWF, UKMET, GGEM and GFS are battling for 3rd and 4th. My confidence did go up based on the 96hr UK graphic Allan posted, 12z. That was the model I was really waiting on to say this is legit. Expect the perturbations for the next 48 hours before things settle back down, maybe not as extreme as some guidance has suggested, but shovels should be at the ready nonetheless. Do not discount the NAM even at 72-84, if H5 is similar to the EC it is pretty much a lock under 120.

Thanks man. That's a fairly good amount inland. Now if we can just get the GFS onboard.

Archived