wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euros has RDU at 11F when it starts snowing and drops below 10F. Not sure we have ever seen that.

Feb 1979 (18th) had snow in Raleigh (10.3 inches) with daytime temps of 13-14.  In single digits in Triad.  Similar temps for Feb 1899 blizzard (High of 13 two straight days - 17.7 inches of snow).  Those are the 2 coldest I know of in the records for central / eastern NC...so yeah, that's a cold prog.

JMA looking like the Canadian

Just wondering why alot of people bad mouth the Canadian , JMA, and DGEX , and then they are ok when they are showing a good wintry event. Alot say they are a waste of time to look at?!

Imo, the difference is when you have muti- model agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering why alot of people bad mouth the Canadian , JMA, and DGEX , and then they are ok when they are showing a good wintry event. Alot say they are a waste of time to look at?!

Their verification scores aren't as good as the Euro and GFS, AFAIK. It's not that they're garbage (that seems to be reserved for the 84hr NAM), but they just miss more in the long term.

So this is a 5 day storm now.  Here is the question I have:  Is this type of pattern more condusive to stability as we close in, or is this type of pattern more condusive to volatility, gotchas, and last minute surprises?  I know that trends can take place (and you can never rule out surprises completely), but so far, we've had excellent agreement, pretty much across the board, for a system to form off the coast.  And there's not really a lot "it has to phase in the nick of time or we lose" at play here.  Just wondering....

For most seasoned people they are not the best relying on however when your looking at models some of the meteorology classes I took in college out professors would say it's better to gather all the input with some of the various models to gather the overall synoptic evolution of the pattern setting up. In this case for me with how volatile the pattern has been with the various shortwaves clippers etc.. its better to get as much details as you can as you can then gather what the overall setup is and start to decipher some of the various model outputs and get a sense so to speak on where this thing may go. Just my two cents but idk why people always just automatically throw out solutions even if they are horrid sometimes as models will key you in sometimes on what ultimately may occur.

I think there will be a storm, there is just too much evidence before us, and the trends over the last couple of days have been good.  The question is, how far (if any) of a jump will there be around hour 72-84 when all the data is properly sampled? 

If this phases, I would say the western Carolinas and a much bigger part of Georgia stand to benefit greatly.  Phasing would not only alter the lows track (closer to the coast), but it would be more expansive on the northern and western edges with its qpf field as it comes through the deep south.

You know the threat is real when JB mentions a snow in the carolinas this morning; Allan is posting, and Robert is talking about it/logging on all at the same time.

On top of that, Stormsfury is posting, Moto is back, Lookout seems intrigued.  All great signs!  Larry might have a winner thread here.  Glad I voted for him to start it!

I think there will be a storm, there is just too much evidence before us, and the trends over the last couple of days have been good.  The question is, how far (if any) of a jump will there be around hour 72-84 when all the data is properly sampled? 

If this phases, I would say the western Carolinas and a much bigger part of Georgia stand to benefit greatly.  Phasing would not only alter the lows track (closer to the coast), but it would be more expansive on the northern and western edges with its qpf field as it comes through the deep south.

tn - what do you mean by phasing in this context?...seeing that a lot on here.  There's no southern stream system of any significance.  Do you mean the northern stream separating more and trying to close off?

Archived