• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

I dont know if I'd go that far. I need to see the euro further west. 

The other models are getting on board, so having multi-model support is comforting despite what the Euro's next run will be IMO. It's definitely a good thing.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the black and white maps come out first and the color ones with the precip you are looking at is yesterday's run.

That's all I ever check because I hate the color maps. The black and whites are usually updated between 11:15-11:30 (both am and pm for their respective runs).

Sweet! I didnt look at the 108 frame.

around a foot of snow in south ga/coastal carolinas it seems. Actually probably more than that. It's showing roughly 40mm in southeast ga or around 1.5 inch liquid. That would be insane.

If only we could shift it northwest about 75 miles.

However, remember our ratios would be really high so we could make up for the lesser liquid amounts because of that.

around a foot of snow in south ga/coastal carolinas it seems. If only we could shift it northwest about 75 miles.

However, remember our ratios would be really high so we could make up for the lesser liquid amounts because of that.

75 miles is well within the margin of error. Great trends so far. :)

I'll take ya'lls word for it.  I don't see any precip on those CMC maps.....probably doesn't matter anyway. 

Hoping the EURO keeps the southern stream alive and well through the gulf.

Clear your cache. That's the problem I had. CMC does what the GFS should have which is phase that energy allowing it to really pull in moisture. This is a great sign. Let's see what the good doc has to say next. 

No, 175 miles :)

lol I didn't want to be greedy. But yeah 150 to 175 miles sure would be nice. Just can't believe it's showing about 1.5 FEET of snow in parts of south ga/sc (assuming it's cold enough). Regardless someone just inland would get a foot more than likely if this run verified.

Frustrating simply because you never see those types of amounts here in north ga so it really would suck to see that much fall in SOUTH ga.

around a foot of snow in south ga/coastal carolinas it seems. Actually probably more than that. It's showing roughly 40mm in southeast ga or around 1.5 inch liquid. That would be insane.

Need 175 mile shift :)

I'll take ya'lls word for it.  I don't see any precip on those CMC maps.....probably doesn't matter anyway. 

Hoping the EURO keeps the southern stream alive and well through the gulf.

So the CMC shows a phase?  That's the difference? Does the Euro phase the streams the last few runs? 

Canadian is just digging the northern stream farther to the southwest than the GFS.  Here's the precip

fq9.gif

lol I didn't want to be greedy. But yeah 150 to 175 miles sure would be nice. Just can't believe it's showing about 1.5 FEET of snow in parts of south ga/sc (assuming it's cold enough). Regardless someone just inland would get a foot more than likely if this run verified.

Frustrating simply because you never see those types of amounts here in north ga so it really would suck to see that much fall in SOUTH ga.

The nightmare I lived in 2009. I know it all too well. I could stand for this to take a 75 mile shift and it very well could. The scary part is that it could also shift 75 miles east though that seems unlikely IMHO. 

I know whatcha mean!!!

The Canadian shows a pretty damn good track for central NC snowstorms, IMO.  I believe HKY_WX used to have a site which had the mean tracks for surface lows in 6"+ snowstorms for Hickory and Raleigh and that looks pretty close to me.

I don't know what the GGEM shows verbatim, but with that track, I'd be a little worried along the coast about serious P-type issues.

Canadian is just digging the northern stream farther to the southwest than the GFS.  Here's the precip

Thank Grit, glad to hear we're not really depending on a phase, because I haven't heard or seen many models showing one.  "Dig baby dig" is again the phrase of the week. 

REALLY want to see the EURO come west after lunch... 

Looks warm on the coast.

It's warmer based on thicknesses but sometimes that can be deceiving. Regardless, just inland would most certainly be cold enough.

The nightmare I lived in 2009. I know it all too well. I could stand for this to take a 75 mile shift and it very well could. The scary part is that it could also shift 75 miles east though that seems unlikely IMHO. 

I don't know if I would say it's unlikely..I think there is probably about a 50/50 shot it could go that way.

That was my first thought. 

Also, I'd seriously doubt any IP or ZR with this event. It's probably a rn or sn deal.

I think it's possible.  Winds would be in a favorable direction at the surface with the high centered back over the plains/lower ms valley with the low itself off shore. So winds would likely have a northern component. Plus  this is a true arctic airmass already in place and not one of these cases where locations have to wait on the cold air to arrive at the same time as the precip.  I think an area of freezing rain is a distinct possibility..especially in south ga given this type of airmass. I remember watching some old weather channel broadcasts on youtube and remember seeing a lot of freezing rain was happening in south ga  a few decades ago.

of course this is assuming it actually comes together and it's not dry.

Yeah, but that was his brothers info. Not sure if it is online anymore..

The Canadian shows a pretty damn good track for central NC snowstorms, IMO.  I believe HKY_WX used to have a site which had the mean tracks for surface lows in 6"+ snowstorms for Hickory and Raleigh and that looks pretty close to me.

I don't know what the GGEM shows verbatim, but with that track, I'd be a little worried along the coast about serious P-type issues.

Obviously, it will likely be close on the 850's. If some of the areas getting 1.5" qpf on the model actually have 850's in the +1 to +5 range, it would be a massive IP/ZR storm rather than snow of course. I'll be looking for the 850's once they're released. Either way, absent a large enough shift westward to bring the surface above 32, this would be a historic deep south and coastal storm whether snow, ZR, IP, or a combo.

Maybe a large enough shift just happened at 12Z and it is mostly just plain rain for the coast? I have no idea.

1.5 feet for south ga and how much for atl ?

Archived