Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all! I've been lurking for awhile and have recently just joined. Been spending most of my time over in the TN Valley forum due to my location. However, I'm just hoping that someone in the Southeast gets a good snow during this cold spell that we've been in. With all that being said, referring to a couple of the previous posts, if the storm does phase with the northern stream, will that mean a significant shift to the NW? That would allow more inland areas in SC, GA, and NC to get in the heavier precip correct?

Thanks in advance for the help in understanding. I've loved weather, especially winter weather, since I was a kid. I'm a model newbie and just trying to gain understanding.

Welcome.  Phasing gets mentioned a lot, but more than anything, the northern stream wave has to track farther to the southwest than shown on the GFS, through OK/TX, and the 500mb flow along the east coast has to back from westerly to more southwesterly, and sooner, in order to get the precip farther inland.

KMYR looks like snow while KCHS looks to be ZR for a bit.

Interesting run and closer to previous coastal special runs it's had.

Until the EPS really relaxes on interior totals; I'm still all in.

Due to the further west run of the 12Z GFS and warmer 850's, it has a sig. ZR/IP for Waycross (AYS), SAV, and CHS for late Tue-Wed. 91/28 to 1/29) as 850's largely remain just above 0C but the sfc is below 32 even at the warmest on Wed. QPF is ~0.50" for this corridor. If this were all IP, it would be as much as~2" of accumulation as modeled.

Hey Kabong,

I'm with ya on the idea of the novelty of a big storm south of us.  Fun to think of the empty bread shelves in every Dollar General south of the Gnat Line. (if ya don't know what it is, be thankful).

Last nights CMC gives us in south Georgia, the panhandle, L.A., something to ponder, and with what seems to be a favorable look for the coast shown on the Euro, a genuine threat for a lot of folks that mostly live vicariously through the more northern posters.

And yes, "where's Chris (Delta)"?

Shack,

It's not very often that we're too far north, but this could be one of those times.  Nevertheless, as the saying goes, there are "ducks on the pond" so we'll have to wait and see which way they fly!  The latest GFS still has the storm so hope remains.  This afternoon's EURO should be interesting as many are pulling for a westward trend.  It's been so long since we've had a storm to track, I forgot how much fun it is!

It looks comparable to that. Maybe a little west and perhaps a littler warmer along the immediate coast.

Thanks.  From my staring at the black and white maps it looks like the low is pretty close to Cape Hatteras.  Should make the precip shield further inland.  The MA and NE folks haven't given up and thinks that they still have a chance.  I guess they do if the NW trend continues or they get a phase bomb.  It would be pretty remarkable to have such a major storm that would effect so many costal areas from Texas to Maine!

Archived