Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just glanced over EPS members.

Haha, looks a Hell of a lot better than they did at 00z the night before last.  No worries.

KSAV and coastal areas get crushed with MAINLY snow this go around if other maps/temps are the be believed.

Michelle and KCAE guys; still a EPS mean of 3"+ here.  Here is a funny sight for KCAE compared to OP:

rofl.png

Look at that precip blossoming in S TX at 102 hrs on the 12z GFS.  That southern wave is continuing to trend stronger.  Very interesting.

Yep, that's been the trend when comparing the 0z/6z and now the 12z GFS, unfortunately it still weakens it fairly well after 102 before it can phase, so this should miss wide right again, possibly scraping the coast.

This looks like it's going to be a good run...gulf moisture is ramping up big time at 105

Like Wow said that energy in the gulf needs to get swept up. Even so though that back side energy is starting to dig in Texas I would think downstream that says something good for parts of the eastern seaboard. 

Just to my untrained eye based on SFC maps alone this is going to be extremely close to what we all want. 

Yes it is.  Quite close.. if the southern s/w continues to trend stronger.. we'd be set.  I know the GFS has a tendency to kill off southern waves too quickly anyway.

The 12z GFS takes the storm up the coast, just a little too far off the coast for most; however, this is a very good run and a big step in the right direction. The southern stream energy has trended stronger; however, it does miss the phase with the northern stream. This is what I expected to happen with this run of the GFS, so that is good.

I still expect a northwest trend over the next few runs, because I believe the storm phase together. The GFS does not handle phasing very good in general, and it may take a few more days before the  model realizes what is going on.

All in all, this was exactly what I expected to see on this run. I would like to see the EURO come in a little farther west, but we will see about that. It will also be important to see how the GFS compares to the GFS ensemble.

Yes it is.  Quite close.. if the southern s/w continues to trend stronger.. we'd be set.  I know the GFS has a tendency to kill off southern waves too quickly anyway.

The 12z GFS takes the storm up the coast, just a little too far off the coast for most; however, this is a very good run and a big step in the right direction. The southern stream energy has trended stronger; however, it does miss the phase with the northern stream. This is what I expected to happen with this run of the GFS, so that is good.

I still expect a northwest trend over the next few runs, because I believe the storm phase together. The GFS does not handle phasing very good in general, and it may take a few more days before the  model realizes what is going on.

All in all, this was exactly what I expected to see on this run. I would like to see the EURO come in a little farther west, but we will see about that. It will also be important to see how the GFS compares to the GFS ensemble.

Yeas something tells me there are going to be some ensemble member a lot of us really like in the SE. 

Good summary, thanks.

Just throwing this out there...   new updated zones for Pensacola, Fl.   AFD attached:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOBILE AL
949 AM CST FRI JAN 24 2014

.SHORT TERM (THIS MORNING AND AFTERNOON)...UPDATED FCST ZONES AND
GRIDS TO REMOVE HARD FREEZE WARNING...PLUS MORE IMPORTANTLY EXTENDING
MIXTURE OF LIGHT SLEET AND SNOW FATHER EASTWARD INTO THE WESTERN
FLORIDA PANHAHDLE. THE PRECIPITATION COULD BE BRIEFLY HEAVY...BUT NO
SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED. STILL...A DUSTING ON GRASSY
AREAS AND ON CARS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE
FCST AREA. HRRR MODEL IS INDICATING THE POSSIBILITY OF A HEAVIER BAND
OF PCPN EXTENDING FROM STONE AND GEORGE COUNTIES OF MISSISSIPPI INTO
MOBILE COUNTY OF ALABAMA THROUGH AROUND NOON TODAY...BEFORE GRADUALLY
TAPPERING OFF. RADAR IS SUPPORTING THIS TREND...AND WE WILL HAVE
MONITOR THIS AREA FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF A LIGHT ACCUMULATION.
OTHERWISE...FCST TEMPS ARE IN LINE FOR THE MOMENT REMAINING IN THE
LOWER 30S THROUGH AROUND MIDDAY...BUT MAY HAVE TO ADJUST MAX TEMPS
FOR TODAY DOWNWARD. WILL MONITOR THIS POSSIBILITY AS WELL. 12/DS

Hello all! I've been lurking for awhile and have recently just joined. Been spending most of my time over in the TN Valley forum due to my location. However, I'm just hoping that someone in the Southeast gets a good snow during this cold spell that we've been in. With all that being said, referring to a couple of the previous posts, if the storm does phase with the northern stream, will that mean a significant shift to the NW? That would allow more inland areas in SC, GA, and NC to get in the heavier precip correct?

Thanks in advance for the help in understanding. I've loved weather, especially winter weather, since I was a kid. I'm a model newbie and just trying to gain understanding.

Hello all! I've been lurking for awhile and have recently just joined. Been spending most of my time over in the TN Valley forum due to my location. However, I'm just hoping that someone in the Southeast gets a good snow during this cold spell that we've been in. With all that being said, referring to a couple of the previous posts, if the storm does phase with the northern stream, will that mean a significant shift to the NW? That would allow more inland areas in SC, GA, and NC to get in the heavier precip correct?

Thanks in advance for the help in understanding. I've loved weather, especially winter weather, since I was a kid. I'm a model newbie and just trying to gain understanding.

It could. The phase would help to make the storm stronger and could help to pull the storm farther inland. The upper air maps are definitely supportive to this idea, and I have seen cases where this happens and when it doesn't happen. So if the phase does happen, that would more than likely pull the surface low closer to the coast and would provide heavier snow inland.

Archived