Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol..I don't care that it does..i just wish it was more accurate. Always have to add a disclaimer/fwiw when talking about it.

Well the DGEX i just took a look at has no real SE snow storm.  That's actually a great sign! :P

Also, 12z GGEM had a Low of sorts but late/not here.

12z UkMET looked pretty okay for SC especially.. maybe GA too.  not sure..

Burger,

The 850 0C line doesn't come back to near SAV until just before 12Z on 1/29 or at ~144 hours. By that time, a whopping ~0.55" of qpf has already fallen. Hardly any of that would be snow since it normally doesn't snow when 850's are warmer than 0C as you know. They are as high as +4 C and the 0C 850 line is ~50 miles inland from Savannah during much of the precip. I checked with a second source of model data and it confirmed this. That leaves only ~0.05" of qpf to fall once 850's have fallen to 0C or colder! So, this looks to me like ~0.55" of a ZR/IP combo followed by ~1/2 " of snow. There's no way SAV is anywhere near 3.9" as modeled! Now if it has the 850 line too far inland vs. what actually would occur, that would be different. Regardless, the model shouldn't think it is snowing if the 850's are in the +1 to +4 range.

Any opinions?

I was just eyeballing that 850 line on SV maps and granted my ideas of where I think SAV is and where it actually is are probably two different things. Looking at the SFC map it looks like it would be ZR until 144 when thickness allows for some sort of IP/SN. Heck even an inch in SAV of snow would have to be exciting. 

The 12Z Euro ens. has a whopping 12 members giving Waycross 9+" of snow and the mean is at 5" LMAO!!!! The op. Euro is at 3" but it can only be dropping less than an inch of snow there based on the 0C 850 line. However, they, too are at or below 32 at the surface. So, Waycross, like SAV and CHS, is getting mainly ZR and IP (say ~0.50" of qpf), not snow. So, that would be quite a mess there, too.

I was just eyeballing that 850 line on SV maps and granted my ideas of where I think SAV is and where it actually is are probably two different things. Looking at the SFC map it looks like it would be ZR until 144 when thickness allows for some sort of IP/SN. Heck even an inch in SAV of snow would have to be exciting. 

I'm guessing that, too.

Of course, 1" at SAV, especially with it this cold, would be big news and a rarity since it hasn't snowed that much there since 1989! Nevertheless, should the 12Z Euro somehow come close to actually verifying, the bigger story could easily be the ZR if most of that 0.55" is ZR.

A couple of days ago someone posted a link where we could input our airport codes Im interested in KFLO can anyone post the link again...thanks guys!

Did it print out text data and do you remember if it was wxcaster with radio buttons to select the model or meteostar?

GGEM, GFS, DGEX vs Euro, EPS, UKMET(to an extent).

There's a reason the WPC/HPC chose the Euro Ens this morning nad show a forecast of a low on a stalled front off the coast.  That was before the 12z op Euro came out too.

I'm with Widre.. I don't want to see a big Euro shown storm on the GFS this far out.

And guys, the OP euro might be a lot different in a good or bad way.  The EPS is where it's at.. and has been before today really.  So don't cliff dive if it shows less or none.  If the EPS look bad, then there's a major concern for nothing.

Archived