• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

That is after the storm has passed on thur am. . However, it does show temps in the teens over eastern nc for most of this storm. That is impressive enough.

I'm not going to allow myself to get too excited. I know moto showed a favorable trend in 500mb heights but I'm still worried this will be crushed or it shears out and we stay dry while the coast/south ga has all the fun. Especially considering that ensembles generally agree on this likely being further southeast than northwest. Just about everywhere in the country has seen snow or ice except around here...even most of north ga. I think I would be rather sick if this hammers areas to the south. ugh.

I think  one of the more interesting aspects of this run is the fact of freezing rain (or sleet/snow depending on exact soundings or changing to snow before ending) that could occur over extreme south georgia and extreme north florida. Snow on the carolina coast is pretty rare  but not incredibly so but freezing rain down into north florida I would guess is rare indeed.

I hate to be jaded but I agree on your sentiments. It would crush me inside to see areas that very rarely get snow get pounded while we get the bare minimum. Over 3 years now since Atlanta has accumulating snow. Even if this trends just 100 miles West or Northwest, Atlanta would be around 3-5 inches. I'd take that and run as fast as I can.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, we're going to want to see if the Euro holds at 00z, but to see the Euro and its ensembles in good agreement at this time frame has me pumped for now. If the Euro is on to something, I wouldn't be shocked at all if this trends further NW, either. It's not like we haven't seen that before.

I do worry a little about the Euro overamplifying this, though.

Is the projected snowpack the only reason their is a 20+ degree difference between the Western Piedmont and Eastern Piedmont of North Carolina?  That seems like a huge difference.

Largely due to snow pack and likely clear skies night after the storm.

Although during the storm, cold air will be pulled down with the snow.

Like others said I have witnessed 10 to 15 degree temperature snow storms many times in Central and Eastern NC, and teens even on the coast during snow storms.

Can happen...we need to get back to the way winters used to be !

Might as well quote this as well: 

Again even that one didn't look great but sure I'll concede that it was as I stated one of the two times I saw a "big dog" storm for the SE. Go ahead and show me all the other examples since they seem to be so plentiful.

You must be right then, the GFS does cave to the Euro more times than not, let's end this argument it's pointless.  Let's see how the mighty Euro does with this storm and we can come back to this thread in 5 days and see how it worked out.  I hope I am wrong and your right and the GFS does cave to it.

Looked like 35/54 ecmwf ens members had some accum snow at RDU on the 28/29th. Looked like 23 had multiple inches. 17 6+ inches.

Crazy for ILM…26 members had 6"+, nuts.  Book it right, what everyone is saying.

44/54 had some accumulating snow for KILM. 32 multiple inches. 26 6+ inches. 21 9+ inches!

44/54 had some accumulating snow for KILM. 32 multiple inches. 26 6+ inches. 21 9+ inches!

This is what is worrying me for the western carolinas/north ga quite frankly. I don't like seeing essentially all of the ensembles on the euro and the gfs showing the bulk of the precip so far south. I mean it's one thing for the operational runs to do it but I fear the cold air is so strong it very well could keep this thing really supressed.

I mean the gfs is showing -20c 850mb temps at hour 120 almost to the nc mountains,  with the gfs/euro showing 850mb temps of -14 to -16c in general over the western carolinas/north ga

That is some serious cold and it's hard to picture much precip being thrown back into an airmass this cold over the interior southeast. Plus if the water temps are colder than normal, the baroclonic zone will obviously be further south too. For us interior folks, I just don't know. All these "it will trend west" posts might be premature or wishful thinking.

This is what is worrying me for the western carolinas/north ga quite frankly. I don't like seeing essentially all of the ensembles on the euro and the gfs showing the bulk of the precip so far south. I mean it's one thing for the operational runs to do it but I fear the cold air is so strong it very well could keep this thing really supressed.

I mean the gfs is showing -20c 850mb temps at hour 120 almost to the nc mountains,  with the gfs/euro showing 850mb temps of -14 to -16c in general over the western carolinas/north ga

That is some serious cold and it's hard to picture much precip being thrown back into an airmass this cold over the interior southeast. Plus if the water temps are colder than normal, the baroclonic zone will obviously be further south too. For us interior folks, I just don't know. All these "it will trend west" posts might be premature or wishful thinking.

I think that's true to a degree, but 5 days out if you told me the gfs was supressed 500 miles and the euro was a hit, i would take it. (;

Archived