• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

Thanks for the post.  I am just wondering, since this storm just "appeared" on the Euro, where most other modeling has most of the precip off the coast............shouldn't we wait until we see if the storm itself can be consistently modeled before identifying any possible "trends" or specifics......... or are you bullish on the general setup as shown by the 12z Euro?  TIA

I have been very bullish on this pattern producing a winter storm for about two weeks now, lol. I agree it may be a little to early; however, I am relatively confident in the pattern producing something. I actually have watched the front off the coast on the GFS for two days and have been thinking to myself "Something doesn't look right?" The next few runs of the models will be important. The EURO ensembles, the GFS 0z and the EURO 0z will hopefully give some clarity.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP raises a eyebrow!

ON TUESDAY...THE 12Z GUIDANCE IS STARTING TO LOOK VERY INTERESTING.
BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF INDICATE THAT A POSITIVELY TILTED LONGWAVE
TROUGH WILL AMPLIFY ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND DEEP SOUTH
TUESDAY EVENING INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. AS THE TROUGH APPROACHES....A
WIDE FIELD OF H5 Q-CONVERGENCE ARRIVES FROM THE WEST AND SLIDE DUE
EAST.
AT THE SFC...A COLD FRONT WILL REMAIN OFF THE SOUTHEAST
COAST...WITH A FRONTAL WAVE/COASTAL LOW MAY DEVELOP OFF THE SC
COAST. BOTH SOLUTIONS INDICATE THAT MEASURABLE QPF WILL DEVELOP AS
FAR WEST AS THE NC MTNS. IF THIS EVENT MATERIALIZES...PRECIPITATION
WILL FALL AS SNOW AS COLD AIR WILL ALREADY BE IN PLACE.
HOWEVER...THE
12Z RUN DOES LACK CONSISTENCY FROM PREVIOUS RUNS.
I WILL TREND THE
FORECAST HIGHER POPS AND INCREASE CLOUD COVER. LOW TEMPERATURES WILL
RANGE FROM 10 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. HIGH TEMPERATURES SHOULD
REMAIN AROUND 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.

12z Euro Ens is obviously SE of the OP but not a whole lot does show a low of the SE coast and precip making it back to central NC, GSP and SouthCentral GA and lighter precip west of there.  I would consider it fairly good ENS support for day 5/6, maybe to good.

Little more on the ENS mean, has 0.25-0.50" of precip from 85 and points east, 0.5" and greater by the coast.

0.1"-0.25" goes as far west as AVL.

holy crap..anyone check out the euro's surface temps over eastern nc/sc? Lows below zero there next thursday thanks to the snow pack and high directly overhead! Meanwhile it has north ga only in the 20s or upper teens :axe:

also...the euro shows 0c 850mb temps down to...key west behind the storm. That's amazing.

Shawn/folks,

Due to being swamped, I just now finally got time to put together an analysis of today's 0Z Euro members as regards the Atlantic coastal storm threat. I know I'm behind because the 12Z Euro showed a big coastal storm (was bound to happen based on the last few ensemble runs..essentially the operational finally became one of the stormy members this time), which I won't address here (though the 12Z Euro ens. mean and members should be quite interesting!)

0Z Euro ens. members showing 2"+ at Wilmington, NC (ILM):  9 of 51, which I analyzed closely for 6 cities. The amounts for the 6 cities turned out to jibe real well. In other words, the heaviest snows at TLH, SAV, CHS, MYR, ILM and even at CAE were pretty much from the same members but with a strong tendency for mainly gradually increasing amounts in this listed order of coastal cities (no surprise there). So, ILM had the highest average and TLH the lowest.

The following are the amounts in inches for the nine 2"+ ILM members for TLH/SAV/CHS/MYR/ILM as well as for CAE, which I listed separately due to it not being coastal and it being kind of on its own in some cases (heaviest amount for each member bolded):

1. 3/5/6/5/4; CAE: 0

2. 5/8/10/12/11; CAE: 9

3. 0/0/0.25/1.25/3; CAE: 0.25

4. 2/6/8/7/9; CAE: 13

5. 0/0.25/0.25/1.75/3; CAE: 0.25

6. 0/0.25/1.75/1.25/3; CAE: 6

7. 3/4/5/6/7; CAE: 0.75 

8. 1.25/4/4/6/5; CAE: 0

9. 0.75/3/6/13/14; CAE: 6

So, TLH was, not surprisingly, always lightest of the five coastal cities at least in a tie. CAE was lightest for 3 of the 9 but also heaviest for 2 of the 9. CHS was heaviest for 1 of the 9. MYR was heaviest for 2 of the 9. ILM was heaviest for 4 of the 9.

KILM being very, very conservative as usual.. Or are behind on todays runs, or just Out too Lunch....

Weak low pressure may
develop offshore Tuesday and Tuesday night in response to approaching upper
trough and reinforcing shot of Arctic air. This may help to enhance
the precipitation shield offshore. At this time...the system looks
progressive and too weak to bring precipitation onshore.
Therefore...will keep rain and wintry mix largely offshore...perhaps
grazing the Cape Fear coast Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. If any
precipitation were to move onshore...it would likely be in the form
of snow. We will continue to monitor trends with successive
forecasts. Finally a coastal trough is expected to develop Thursday and
Thursday night...but the associated precipitation that develops is
expected to remain offshore.

OK back from my meeting. Just a word of caution, this is fun to look at but keep in mind it's just one run. Good thing going for us is that the GFS has been close and the Euro ensembles have been hinting at something like this. The bad thing is that it's still 5-7 days out. 

Agree.  I'm not going to feel good about this until I see a frame with a big "L" in the gulf, rather than apprearing east of Florida.  Until then CLT is on the edge; and that doesn't usually turn out well... 

Shawn/folks,

Due to being swamped, I just now finally got time to put together an analysis of today's 0Z Euro members as regards the Atlantic coastal storm threat. I know I'm behind because the 12Z Euro showed a big coastal storm (was bound to happen based on the last few ensemble runs..essentially the operational finally became one of the stormy members this time), which I won't address here (though the 12Z Euro ens. mean and members should be quite interesting!)

0Z Euro ens. members showing 2"+ at Wilmington, NC (ILM):  9 of 51, which I analyzed closely for 6 cities. The amounts for the 6 cities turned out to jibe real well. In other words, the heaviest snows at TLH, SAV, CHS, MYR, ILM and even at CAE were pretty much from the same members but with a strong tendency for mainly gradually increasing amounts in this listed order of coastal cities (no surprise there). So, ILM had the highest average and TLH the lowest.

The following are the amounts in inches for the nine 2"+ ILM members for TLH/SAV/CHS/MYR/ILM as well as for CAE, which I listed separately due to it not being coastal and it being kind of on its own in some cases (heaviest amount for each member bolded):

1. 3/5/6/5/4; CAE: 0

2. 5/8/10/12/11; CAE: 9

3. 0/0/0.25/1.25/3; CAE: 0.25

4. 2/6/8/7/9; CAE: 13

5. 0/0.25/0.25/1.75/3; CAE: 0.25

6. 0/0.25/1.75/1.25/3; CAE: 6

7. 3/4/5/6/7; CAE: 0.75 

8. 1.25/4/4/6/5; CAE: 0

9. 0.75/3/6/13/14; CAE: 6

So, TLH was, not surprisingly, always lightest of the five coastal cities at least in a tie. CAE was lightest for 3 of the 9 but also heaviest for 2 of the 9. CHS was heaviest for 1 of the 9. MYR was heaviest for 2 of the 9. ILM was heaviest for 4 of the 9.

Thanks for this analysis Larry!  I am anxiously awaiting the monsters that are going to show up on the individual members here in a little while.

If you compare the last three days worth of EURO 12z runs the trough has trended much further west for the target 1/28 12z time frame.  Also notice the ridge heights are much higher up into Canada on the new runs.

12z run from 1/21 - below

post-347-0-98514400-1390509037_thumb.gif

12z run from 1/22 - below

post-347-0-34750000-1390509063_thumb.gif

12z run from 1/23 (today) - -below

post-347-0-50317500-1390509081_thumb.gif

This is going to get interesting.

holy crap..anyone check out the euro's surface temps over eastern nc/sc? Lows below zero there next thursday thanks to the snow pack and high directly overhead! Meanwhile it has north ga only in the 20s or upper teens :axe:

also...the euro shows 0c 850mb temps down to...key west behind the storm. That's amazing.

Don't worry I will be more than happy to send it your way. With that much cold I would need a damn torch on my tankless water heater. 

If you compare the last three days worth of EURO 12z runs the trough has trended much further west for the target 1/28 12z time frame.  Also notice the ridge heights are much higher up into Canada on the new runs.

attachicon.gifUSA_HGT_500mb_168.gif

attachicon.gifUSA_HGT_500mb_144.gif

attachicon.gifUSA_HGT_500mb_120.gif

This is going to get interesting

Great post Moto, thanks for sharing.  Seeing something like this should get people more excited.  I wonder why other mets like Ryan M and DT (others) aren't barking for this one after seeing these maps? Any ideas?

attachicon.gifUSA_HGT_500mb_168.gif

attachicon.gifUSA_HGT_500mb_144.gif

attachicon.gifUSA_HGT_500mb_120.gif

This is going to get interesting.

The million $ question is does this trend continue  ;)  

btw....I :wub: when you get interested 

Great post Moto, thanks for sharing.  Seeing something like this should get people more excited.  I wonder why other mets like Ryan M and DT (others) aren't barking for this one after seeing these maps? Any ideas?

Probably because with that big fat PV sitting up there it will be real hard to get this thing to turn up the coast.  I think there is room to penetrate further north in the south but it's still likely to end up out to sea versus heading up the coast.

I've got a few. That's not in DT's backyard/DelMarVa, so he won't buy it. It's not in JB's market...we'll have to see what some SE mets say. Matthew East is lurking, that's a good sign. Post Matthew, post! :popcorn:

Ironically its only been below zero here twice EVER and both times were without snowpack lol....

Archived