• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

It had 2 storms one in Jan & on in Feb. really surpressed....way down in S FL (it was a running joke on Andy Woods blog). Don't know if it got corrected or not.

It had the surface low for the February 2010 Valentine's Day Storm over Cuba (literally) 90 hours out.

I don't think there's any reason to freak out over a small change in an ensemble mean.  It happens.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It had the surface low for the February 2010 Valentine's Day Storm over Cuba (literally) 90 hours out.

I don't think there's any reason to freak out over a small change in an ensemble mean.  It happens.

Agreed, pretty amazing model/ens support for eastern NC, I would take this 72 hours out and still feel good, although still have this feeling RDU gets fringed.

This literally has almost nothing in common with that Monday storm...at least from what I can remember. 

Both northern stream energy coming down, digging, and forming a low off the coast.  Is that not right?  The individual players on the field are different, different locations, etc but it seems pretty similar. 

Both northern stream energy coming down, digging, and forming a low off the coast.  Is that not right?  The individual players on the field are different, different locations, etc but it seems pretty similar. 

It's a completely different setup all the way around. There's really no comparison.

However, that's doesn't mean that the precip won't be confined to the coast (east of RDU).

To me this is just like the Monday storm; a clipper forms a low off the coast, but too late for anybody east of Raleigh. I bet it turns out the same way.

In order for this to become a big deal inland, something dramatic like the trough going negative, closing off, quadruple phasing or something or other needs to happen. I haven't heard any model showing that, only various distances of how far it digs.

Lol you obviously don't know how phasing works or how it changes the entire look. You must have not been around Dec '10 or you wouldn't make the snarky "quadruple phase" comment. Sit back and watch

To me this is just like the Monday storm; a clipper forms a low off the coast, but too late for anybody east of Raleigh. I bet it turns out the same way.

In order for this to become a big deal inland, something dramatic like the trough going negative, closing off, quadruple phasing or something or other needs to happen. I haven't heard any model showing that, only various distances of how far it digs.

This is a friendly suggestion. Read more and post less. This system is not going to close off and I've never heard of a quadruple phaser. Even two pieces phasing can cause quite the storm. Me thinks you might be trolling which will buy you a suspension during the first storm we have had to track in three years.

Agreed, pretty amazing model/ens support for eastern NC, I would take this 72 hours out and still feel good, although still have this feeling RDU gets fringed.

There is a shocking amount of model agreement and lack of variation ( at least major changes) run to run for the time frame we are in. In fact it is pretty rare to see this kind of agreement and consistency in this range. I doubt the models change that much between now and when they first start sampling the actual energy. That is the time when I would expect to see any major shifts in the model thinking on this system, if there is any.

The long range NAM and really is not worth discussing. Jmo

In my experience I don't think I've ever seen the 84 hour nam verify.

Agreed. Fun to look at but that's about it....but it does lead credence to the overall "flow" in that time period since it's showing close to what the Euro/GFS/CMC show. 

In my experience I don't think I've ever seen the 84 hour nam verify.

Good to use to see if it is following the trend of the day.  A follower, not a leader.  The polar s/w is trending west... the southern energy is trending stronger.  

This is a friendly suggestion. Read more and post less. This system is not going to close off and I've never heard of a quadruple phaser. Even two pieces phasing can cause quite the storm. Me thinks you might be trolling which will buy you a suspension during the first storm we have had to track in three years.

Good idea, I'll take your suggestion.  Didn't seem too friendly though. 

wow, its nice to come to the board after a couple of hours away and see a thread that has exploded about a potential storm lol.  ahhh seems like old times.

what is interesting is that there does appear to be plenty of support for some kind of storm next week, and it could be a biggie for some.  the details are still too uncertain its just nice to have something to track.  as others have said, what will be really interesting is once all the players are within range for sampling and getting a good handle on how strong, location etc.  then the models will hopefully hone in on a similar solution.  as in real estate, location location location.  the temps are probably not an issue for once (never say never in the se) its just where and when.  a 50-100 mile shift will take a lot of out, or add a lot of us in.

once the sampling gets better hopefully it looks better and better for most of us

A note on the southern s/w that I'm keeping a close eye on:

It originates from energy tailing out of the Aleutian trough within the next 2 days.  This feature won't be accurately modeled until it makes landfall by Sunday.  The stronger it is, the more influence it will have on the northern wave pivoting down from Montana, allowing it to phase in with the southern wave.

I think this wave is important because we don't have the room for the polar s/w to pull away from the PV given its proximity.  Had the PV been much weaker, then the wave could very well do it on its own, ala Jan '96.

12z GFS @90

Z41Fc9V.gif

Thanks guys appreciate the support. That's all I was essentially using it for anyhow was to look to see how it sets up compared to the other models. I've actually only see it be on the money at 84 a couple times but that was mostly confluence events and cold air damming when I still lived in Connecticut so it's not impossible.

A note on the southern s/w that I'm keeping a close eye on:

It originates from energy tailing out of the Aleutian trough within the next 2 days.  This feature won't be accurately modeled until it makes landfall by Sunday.  The stronger it is, the more influence it will have on the northern wave pivoting down from Montana, allowing it to phase in with the southern wave.

12z GFS @90

Z41Fc9V.gif

Ha, that's my cue to check out of the thread until Sunday night  :shiver:

wow, its nice to come to the board after a couple of hours away and see a thread that has exploded about a potential storm lol.  ahhh seems like old times.

It seems like it's been forever doesn't it? 

Well, I know it's way too early for this, but heck, we get into this debate every year, so maybe I can nip it early...so here goes....."At least if we do get some type of storm, we won't have to worry about ground temperatures this time!"  There.  I said it and feel better. :D

post-1217-0-87923100-1390598457_thumb.pn

There is a shocking amount of model agreement and lack of variation ( at least major changes) run to run for the time frame we are in. In fact it is pretty rare to see this kind of agreement and consistency in this range. I doubt the models change that much between now and when they first start sampling the actual energy. That is the time when I would expect to see any major shifts in the model thinking on this system, if there is any.

I actually think we are still at the time frame where things could change significantly.  If you look through the GFS ensemble members for example, there are some that are off the coast and dry, some that are mainly a coastal hit, and some that are well inland and warmer....and there is notable variation in how the various shortwaves rotate through the eastern trough. 

It seems like it's been forever doesn't it? 

Well, I know it's way too early for this, but heck, we get into this debate every year, so maybe I can nip it early...so here goes....."At least if we do get some type of storm, we won't have to worry about ground temperatures this time!"  There.  I said it and feel better. :D

Looks different than what I show: http://www.daculaweather.com/4_ga_soil.php

I actually think we are still at the time frame where things could change significantly.  If you look through the GFS ensemble members for example, there are some that are off the coast and dry, some that are mainly a coastal hit, and some that are well inland and warmer....and there is notable variation in how the various shortwaves rotate through the eastern trough. 

Look at the individual ensemble members and you'll see plenty of variation.  This event is 5 days out... still much to discern here.

Just remember that the super clipper that hammered I-95 a few days ago really didn't look like anything much until a couple days before.  I know this is a lot different, but we have a long ways to go and anything could potentially happen.

EDIT: The ECMWF snowfall mean just came out on WeatherBell. Using 10:1 ratios, I went from 1.8" to 1.6" (and that's probably low since ratios will be higher)! Not much difference.  Don't meltdown.

I actually think we are still at the time frame where things could change significantly. If you look through the GFS ensemble members for example, there are some that are off the coast and dry, some that are mainly a coastal hit, and some that are well inland and warmer....and there is notable variation in how the various shortwaves rotate through the eastern trough.
I think we're still in that time frame until everything gets properly sampled. Still have a few days to go.

During a possible winter threat; we pick apart everything about a suite of weather models.

Look, remember how the GFS has been missing on some key things this year and AFTER the fact we realize and talk about how it wasnt going to rain etc..

Well, same could and probably will happen again with so much GEFS spread currently.

We just don't notice so many intricates on boring rainy days nearly as much.

Archived