• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

been watching the baja area water vapor loops for a couple of days now..slowly the flow of moisture is moving right now it looks like there is interaction between the southern flow and northern flow just north of the 4 corners area right now, not saying anything about any phasing just seeing the moisture flow north and hit the northern flow in that area....that southern flow has been slowly tilting towards the east and the leading edges have been being blown east since yesterday.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea,  it’s hard not to get tingle’s from the NAM.  Not only is the polar s/w going to capture that baja energy, but the gradient out ahead of these feature’s is not pressing down so hard, allowing for more amplification as they move east.

Yeah, you're right. The height field ahead of the system lifts out a bit more so with the retreating PV, which is going allow this system more room to amplify as it digs down to the gulf.

Meanwhile, my promise to MetalBoy might be coming true according to radar.  There doesn't seem to be much interest in the frozen precip that's happening in places that don't see a lot.  I saw film of folks sledding last night just down the road.... Mobile, New Orleans way :)  That's pretty cool, and the southern steam keeps running moisture under the cold.  Sooner or later some will run up and over like it was doing even back in Ala and parts of Ga last night.  T

What implications would these new features being shown on the NAM have down the road? Would it negative tilt faster allowing the low to hug the coast more and thus throw precip back further inland? I have to imagine with a relatively early phase, the precip. would be heavier and more widespread.

If a full phase occurs, the system is able to dig far enough south, and the PV retreats quickly enough to allow the jet to loosen up, there may very well be a negatively tilted upper level trough which would pull the sfc low closer to the coast and end up with a major snow storm for most of our area.

the biggest anomaly in the pattern next week will be the cross polar ridge. that allows s/w's to accelerate across the plains and dig anomalously. i wouldn't surprised at all to see a trend of the polar jet digging further south out west, allowing more amplification and negative tilting of the trough. it would lead to a slightly warmer/wetter solution, but i think it's a likely trend.

NAM model is in now...first of several important runs. The last two years this model picked up the Southwest systems much better than the Globals (GFS and Euro) when the Southern tier of states was concerned, so it's not as bad as some say. It also caught the Texas, LA, MS snowfall better than any other model last night and today, esp. MS, LA, AL areas. That said, it's no guarantee, and the 84 hour panel is the least trustworthy, but the trend is important.

This run samples ...the Baja low better (mentioned that in my video before the runs tonight) and captures, absorbs it into the Rockies incoming trough. Basically, it backs the flow up quite a bit, which opens the Gulf into a widespread precip maker for the Southern states, as early as Monday Night and Tuesday morning. It lifts the Polar vortex in Canada up north just in time to allow backing southwest flow. We'll see if it's onto something, or just on something. ‪#‎south‬ ‪#‎snow‬

www.wxsouth.comSee More

I would that would be either a Sleet or Freezing rain (until around HR 84) *and yes its the NAM*  for around us here in Mid GA.  Nice cold air press for sure.  

Yep surface temps are at or below freezing almost to the gulf coast.  Some of that might not be touching the ground but Talk about a huge area of winter precip.

It's the 84 hour nam so it's worth about 3 cents but imagine the peeing of pants if everyone saw that coming.

the biggest anomaly in the pattern next week will be the cross polar ridge. that allows s/w's to accelerate across the plains and dig anomalously. i wouldn't surprised at all to see a trend of the polar jet digging further south out west, allowing more amplification and negative tilting of the trough. it would lead to a slightly warmer/wetter solution, but i think it's a likely trend.

Agree.  The NAM is a case in point with the height field lifting more as the polar jet carves in further west with a southwest flow backing in.   Not too warm, but not too cold either.  An ideal example of this is the Jan 96 storm... http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1996/us0106.php

12z - The ensembles of the CMC are west of the original run. 

18z - The ensembles of the GFS and original run agree.

12z - The ensembles of the ECMWF and the original run are relatively the same. 

All with the exception of the CMC ensembles are far offshore. Taking the models as face value, i would not get excited if i do not live on the coastal plain. 

NAM model is in now...first of several important runs. The last two years this model picked up the Southwest systems much better than the Globals (GFS and Euro) when the Southern tier of states was concerned, so it's not as bad as some say. It also caught the Texas, LA, MS snowfall better than any other model last night and today, esp. MS, LA, AL areas. That said, it's no guarantee, and the 84 hour panel is the least trustworthy, but the trend is important.

This run samples ...the Baja low better (mentioned that in my video before the runs tonight) and captures, absorbs it into the Rockies incoming trough. Basically, it backs the flow up quite a bit, which opens the Gulf into a widespread precip maker for the Southern states, as early as Monday Night and Tuesday morning. It lifts the Polar vortex in Canada up north just in time to allow backing southwest flow. We'll see if it's onto something, or just on something. ‪#‎south‬ ‪#‎snow‬

www.wxsouth.comSee More

I read that too. Normally more moisture would be good except when it bring in southwest flow.Or am I missing something ?That cold polar vortex is going to be hard to move out right. I'm still trying to learn.

Agree.  The NAM is a case in point with the height field lifting more as the polar jet carves in further west with a southwest flow backing in.   Not too warm, but not too cold either.  An ideal example of this is the Jan 96 storm... http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1996/us0106.php

interesting times for sure.

I read that too. Normally more moisture would be good except when it bring in southwest flow.Or am I missing something ?That cold polar vortex is going to be hard to move out right. I'm still trying to learn.

Need a sw flow to open up the gulf.  Plenty of cold air in place... certainly not lacking this.  

Yep surface temps are at or below freezing almost to the gulf coast.  Some of that might not be touching the ground but Talk about a huge area of winter precip.

It's the 84 hour nam so it's worth about 3 cents but imagine the peeing of pants if everyone saw that coming.

Ya, most of that is prolly not reaching the ground, but even freezing drizzle would NOT be good for as cold as it has been lately.

Ya, most of that is prolly not reaching the ground, but even freezing drizzle would NOT be good for as cold as it has been lately.

Looks like it would be reaching the ground along the gulf coast for the most part based on 925mb to 850mb rh but for a very large area it's not. Regardless, quite a large area long the gulf coast/southeast would end up being creamed one way or the other though if that particular solution was right.

It's fun to speculate on this but one has to keep in mind it's the long range nam. But at least one can see the potential as hky noted.

12z - The ensembles of the CMC are west of the original run. 

18z - The ensembles of the GFS and original run agree.

12z - The ensembles of the ECMWF and the original run are relatively the same. 

All with the exception of the CMC ensembles are far offshore. Taking the models as face value, i would not get excited if i do not live on the coastal plain.

Fluid dynamics, absent of UL forcing to steer a slp inland or along the coast, slp's tend to travel the path of least resistance which is the natural baroclinic zone, aka, the Gulf Stream.

Archived