joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will always remember the Dgex as The Henry M> from accuweather model. Him putting those Big Daddy tee shirts and clinging on that model. Just read where it showed a HECS Feb snow in the MA a few years ago before any of the other models. 

Anyway tonight the following is crucial to me in seeing if we can pick up on any trends, then see how they evolve throughout the Sat/Sun model cycle. 

1) Euro ensembles (most dependable/consistent IMO at identifying pattern/potential Day 3-7).

2-a) Euro op to see how it jives with it's ensembles. The euro op & nam agreeing with each other inside 84 (E/E rule) are hard to bet against. Euro has tendency to overplay 2m temps as colder and underplay qpf. Also has bad habit of holding energy out in the 4 corners to long. But imo it's still the king in winter for mby.

2-) UKMET (Has a great reputation of sniffing out N/S stream phased storm), Learned this tidbit from a graphic WeatherNC posted back on eastern several years ago. 

3-a) Crazy uncle & JMA just to see if they give voice of confidence to euro op/ens and ukmet.

3-) Last the GFS. I have such a hard time trusting this thing in the mid range. It's like it goes through this 24-36 hour cycle around day 4-5 of throwing every solution known to man against the wall to see if it sticks. In fairness it runs 4x's a day and opens itself up to swinging and missing. But it does become important to get on board around day 3. 

That's my thinking. A little QPF is going to go a long way.

I think the rates even down here in KCAE would be pretty good (better than 10:1)... but the maps have been varying with surface temps and how cold 850 turns out before the precip blows out.  If it even storms here of course.

Quote of the night. If you are west of 95 in NC and can get .16-.20 with ratios

you'll get a warning criteria snow.

Don't forget to allow .15 or more to saturate the column.

Agree as of now the trend is not for an inland event. It would be nice to see a solid swath of snow pack across the state. Hopefully at least the coast and. Coastal plain scores with this one.

Robert has a video update on his site, He just posted for subscribers!

Interestingly enough he talks about the energy out in the baja and how other models weren't seeing it. The 00z NAM does have that energy there and it shots it east as a weak wave. This then gets on a repeat pattern and by 66 stronger energy is moving in tandem with our northern energy. 

It is the nam but the 0z is significantly different at hour 63. Much stronger northern and southern stream waves that seem like they may line up for phasing down the road. Not sure how it'll end up by the end of the run but positive trends. 

I'm constantly going back and fourth between the two runs for the same hours; I'm thinking by 84; something should show.. .. Southern definitely looks better.. I notice the PV piece or whatever is slightly North and the timing is a tad bit faster?

Agree as of now the trend is not for an inland event. It would be nice to see a solid swath of snow pack across the state. Hopefully at least the coast and. Coastal plain scores with this one.

There's been a lot of talk about trends today. If the conversation is not specific, then the idea is like trying to nail jello to the wall. You could say that the Op Euro trended east from yesterday's 12z and you'd be correct. On the other hand, you could say that we have more models showing precip farther inland today than yesterday and you'd also be correct.

It is the nam but the 0z is significantly different at hour 63. Much stronger northern and southern stream waves that seem like they may line up for phasing down the road. Not sure how it'll end up by the end of the run but positive trends. 

Yeah, watching that southern wave closely.  A phased solution would wake everyone up all up and down the east coast.

I might be wishful thinking; but didn't the Euro show something like this energy in the SW on the 12z run that was a big one?  I remember seeing the higher res Euro and wondering why the energy was looking broken up and then boom; and this broken up energy look seems to be on the NAM.

Out to 75 it's running in tandem with that northern energy. Hard not to get excited at that look. Painful part will be @84 it's going to be close enough to a phase to really tease us. 

12z that southern energy was non-existent... 18z is was barely registering.. 0z it's almost as strong as the leading polar vorticity.  Quite a trend.

I'm pretty sure the models take into account saturating the column, so there's no need to subtract for that.

You willing to throw $5 down on the GFS? Hate to trust the NAM that far out but....it does look like a killer solution and a sure plausible one. 

I'd bet the 18z was a bad run and it'll return to the previous runs with a stronger southern s/w.. and not cutting it off over the SW for a few days.

Like you guys said it is the nam however that 5h setup Wow put out is spectacular and a sure beauty. Idk why everyone keeps discounting the nam I know it's verification scores aren't great however there have been multiple models now that have really been amping this thing up including both GFS and Euro ensembles. The moisture breaking out in central TX would surely be a good sign to translate up the coast

We now have the following:

Good Guys: GGEM, NOGAPS, DGEX, JMA, UKMET (possibly), Euro EPS.

Bad Guys: GEFS, OP Euro, OP GFS

At least for precip further inland.

It is getting that time to worry a bit if 00z models aren't any better for the OP of both the Euro & GFS.

Lol, and it's those "bad" guys that most need to be "good" guys in the end, or it's just pipe dreams :)  Speaking of pipe dreams, I'm thinking the end result is going to be a 73 type bowling ball with 100 mile swath from Montgomery thru me to Cola, lol.  20 inches of good times.  Watch and see....it's Tony's storm, lol, except it's too cold for sleet with a bowling ball..... So it'll have to be Lookout's and Shawn/Michelle's storm, lol.   T

Everyone take a deep breath. It's the NAM at 84. I want to see a lot more than this before getting too interested, at least for GA.

But @84 it's worked out for us so much. Seriously though if I had a dollar for everytime the NAM did something crazy only for the GFS to look nothing like it...well I would be a good bit richer today. I do like though that it has those impulses of southern energy shooting off east under 48. What happens after that in reality is anyone's guess. 

Archived