joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fluid dynamics, absent of UL forcing to steer a slp inland or along the coast, slp's tend to travel the path of least resistance which is the natural baroclinic zone, aka, the Gulf Stream.

I agree with you that the system will move towards a area of diabatic heating. A cyclone also moves towards areas of PVA and WAA also. The WAA is usually in the NE quadrant of a cyclone in the N-Hemi. For me, I put more weight on WAA and PVA. I do see your side though, hope your right :) 

natlanti.fc.gif

We all have to pray the GFS is on crack today. It's great how every crappy piece of energy gets caught up in the flow but the one we need just chills out catching some rays off the coast of Mexico. What I wouldn't give for a kicker. On the plus side the energy in question is out in the Pacific with poor sampling. I'll bet if the Euro shows something tonight that flights will be scheduled for tomorrow. 

Call me crazy but I do not believe the GFS depiction for a minute just parking that s/w in baja the way it does. I'm not saying this just because I want or hope for something but if I remember correctly and please someone correct me if I'm wrong the GFS has struggled in the past with these southwest shortwaves. I think wx south had a post just recently here within the last hour about this. Does anyone have more info pertaining to GFS and shortwave struggles?

We all have to pray the GFS is on crack today. It's great how every crappy piece of energy gets caught up in the flow but the one we need just chills out catching some rays off the coast of Mexico. What I wouldn't give for a kicker. On the plus side the energy in question is out in the Pacific with poor sampling. I'll bet if the Euro shows something tonight that flights will be scheduled for tomorrow. 

Like the new avatar man.

On the weather side.. I'd think if the GGEM/UKMET look the same while the GFS & Euro ops don't... there would still be a heightened awareness for a possible one too.

Call me crazy but I do not believe the GFS depiction for a minute just parking that s/w in baja the way it does. I'm not saying this just because I want or hope for something but if I remember correctly and please someone correct me if I'm wrong the GFS has struggled in the past with these southwest shortwaves. I think wx south had a post just recently here within the last hour about this. Does anyone have more info pertaining to GFS and shortwave struggles?

I believe holding energy back in that area is a euro bias or at least was at some point in recent years.

I def concur with that statement. Best post today. Knowing NWS they'll have a special winter storm flight reconnaissance mission started. I hope that comes to fruition because that was a rough run 5h setup anyhow.

Yes, WxSouth posted about that on Facebook tonight with the GFS.

For me the GFS solution is a bit off. I don't understand why it has such a strong wave so far south. Most models have a southern wave but nothing that far south and cutoff. The timing is important also, gfs seems to waste time with the southern stream and its strength. 

You can't fully dis the GFS in this instance because its more than likely right. That energy has to kick out.  * I do agree with cmichweather*  That energy is more than likely to strong and should get kicked out.  

My question is, why does the initialized energy get kicked out but the second wave hits a brick wall? I realize the second acts as a kicker for the first but should it take the same path? Very frustrating how it looks like it bounces off the MexiCali coast lol. 

You can't fully dis the GFS in this instance because its more than likely right. That energy has to kick out.  * I do agree with cmichweather*  That energy is more than likely to strong and should get kicked out.  

Although not as bad as years past, the GFS still has a tendency of being too northern stream dominant, and doesn't typically handle southern stream s/w's too well.   

have to admit that is exciting looking. Only if we can get some support for it.

wow - now thats what i am talking about lol.  we didnt have the internet in the the late 70s and 80s so i can only speak from memory of the newspaper maps and tv and imagination but that looks like the gulf lows that would move into cold air giving the se some big time winter fun lol.

if only that map were showing tomorrow haha

I think it keeps it there because it is too strong with it, Burger...Mike, ya it does have a progressive northern stream.  I wouldn't be surprised if something comes back NW a little with the end solution.

To add insult to injury as soon as the pattern relaxes it gets rocketed forward for a nice soaking rain! 

I think it keeps it there because it is too strong with it, Burger...Mike, ya it does have a progressive northern stream.  I wouldn't be surprised if something comes back NW a little with the end solution.

you know I can't help but think of the Feb 2010 GFS fiasco when it did crazy stuff sending the low into Cuba due to erroneously treating it like an MCS.   Basically, the time frame basically in the same general area again.  

you know I can't help but think of the Feb 2010 GFS fiasco when it did crazy stuff sending the low into Cuba due to erroneously treating it like an MCS.   Basically, the time frame basically in the same general area again.  

yep and then came back to a better solution within 2-3 days of the event.  i remember it distinctly.

Archived