joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMC actually looks pretty close to the NAM at 5h out to 81. 

The NAM is usually overly amped at 84 hours vs what actually occurs but its usually in the GFS ballpark but with a noticeable north and west amplification, in this case its night and day vs the GFS leading me to further believe the GFS is way too flat...the biggest red flag of all though is the NOGAPS with precip to near Columbus GA at 108 hours...the NOGAPS is by far the most suppressed and progressive model of all, that tells us for sure we're going to see the GFS start changing alot in the next day or two.

The NAM is usually overly amped at 84 hours vs what actually occurs but its usually in the GFS ballpark but with a noticeable north and west amplification, in this case its night and day vs the GFS leading me to further believe the GFS is way too flat...the biggest red flag of all though is the NOGAPS with precip to near Columbus GA at 108 hours...the NOGAPS is by far the most suppressed and progressive model of all, that tells us for sure we're going to see the GFS start changing alot in the next day or two.

Thanks for updates SnowGoose!  We'll take any info you can give us.

So hard to try and add up mm from those maps, but looks like between 40 and 45 at 108 and 120 hours, then another 5 or so at 132 for areas of SE S.C. -- 50 mm = just under 2 inches of liquid. Mercy.

***** storm of the century really for the coastal plain/just inland if this verified. Depending on exact soundings it's either a monster snow storm or a monster ice storm along the coast.

00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_C

I don't know..it's hard to get excited over the 0.30 or so that falls here when 1.5 inch plus falls as snow not far from savannah lol

Something must not be right on my end.  I'm seeing less than that for KCAE?  UGH.  I'll try deleteing my cache etc.  Thanks for the heads up with this post.. Snow maps should be pretty.

Thanks, it's tough to take the GFS seriously with everything else saying no.

Looks like 0.1" gets as far west as around Wilkesboro on the GGEM.   GSO has maybe 0.20" and somewhere around Burlington or Hillsborough gets 0.3".  Charlotte looks like 0.15-0.2" or something like that.  Somewhere around Raleigh is where you get above 0.5" and you get into a real historic storm.

The whole state gets 0.05"+ QPF, from Murphy to Manteo.

I'll take half a foot of snow and not care what anyone else gets, honestly. It almost seems like a carbon copy of 3/1980 when it comes to sensible weather.

I wish I had more experience with ratios since this would be a very cold storm. I'd be happy with 20:1 though.

But still. Many of you have seen over a foot of snow before. I never have so It would be a bit disappointing and frustrating seeing a foot and half plus that far south. I mean if the canadian was right, you are talking about the difference between a really good snow and an epic snow that will be remembered a hundred years from now.

It would sure beat nothing though that's for sure.

Yeah, normally you feel pretty good with the NAVGEM where it's at, but hard to believe GFS is so different.

Good lord, that's insane.. 6" starts at the purple. 9" is where the pink begins.

Keep in mind that is 10:1 ratio. Ratios over the back end, including eastern nc will be quite a bit higher. Temps are probably in the teens in eastern nc and upper teens/near 20 over the back end of the precip shield with 850mb temps of -10 to 12c. Eastern nc would probably be measuring in feet, not inches.

I so agree.  If there is a storm I can see it being an I 20 south storm in Ga easily.  I can't help but feel the Gfs will find the solution in the end.  It may be supressed, but not that suppressed, and in the short run it found last nights events pretty well :)  I had pretty good virga, from a plume that was north of where it showed for a lot of runs on the Gfs, but it was edging it up into Ga in the last few runs.  And it worked up pretty good in to even my area.  I'd be surprised if someone down this way didn't see a flake or two this morning early.  Tony

Archived