• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

I think we're still in that time frame until everything gets properly sampled. Still have a few days to go.

Yeah just look at the 18z GFS at 30 hours.. little variability except over the Pacific. See how much fluctuation there is between the runs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought this was an interesting tidbit from Andy Wood on facebook. That being said I do believe he is back in Nashville TN. So he is probably speaking more for TN. 

The snow rumors for next week shouldn't be trusted. The wavelengths, positioning and shallow shape of the trof/dip in the east due to a weakening ridge out west will more than likely just lead to another passing front. We need a steep, properly tilted trof in the east to create backing winds in supporting gulf moisture thrown back over the top of a cold dome of air. We've had plenty of the bitter cold dome lately, just not enough backing, but it will come eventually 

We've all seen models go through some fairly significant run-to-run changes in the past concerning the placement of the "players on the field."  Someone in the bullseye today may be completely shut out when the storm actually arrives.  And those who are shutout today may find themselves with several inches of white, powdery heaven next Wednesday.  We'll hopefully know more as the players begin to "enter the stadium" on Sunday.

Other than the famous Superstorm of 1993, I would think that it's rare for any model to nail the details of a forecast 4-5 days out.  Speaking of the Superstorm, part of its place in weather history isn't just the far-reaching effects that it had from Maine to Alabama (let's not forget Cuba as well!), it's the fact that the details of the storm were modeled so well several days in advance...and that was 21 years ago!  I would like to believe that we've made some strides in our computer modeling since then, but that type of storm and the forecast that preceded it may not be duplicated in our lifetime.

The good news is that there appears to be a consensus among the models that there WILL be a storm.  As always, the devil is in the details.  Here's hoping the JMA and Canadian pull a major upset!

Thought this was an interesting tidbit from Andy Wood on facebook. That being said I do believe he is back in Nashville TN. So he is probably speaking more for TN. 

WPC extended disco from this morning, did not see it posted, sorry if I missed.

...GUIDANCE EVALUATION...THERE IS GOOD CLUSTERING WITH A NERN US LOW THAT BRINGS A TRAILINGCOLD FRONT ACROSS THE EAST COAST ON DAY 3 MON...TO BE FOLLOWED BYCOLD HIGH PRESSURE SINKING INTO THE SOUTH AND EAST OVER THEFOLLOWING COUPLE DAYS.  HOWEVER IN THE MON-WED PERIOD DIFFERENCESEMERGE WITH THE EXACT HANDLING OF SHORTWAVE ENERGY ROTATINGTHROUGH MID-CONTINENT INTO THE ERN STATES.  ISSUES ALOFT LEAD TOMEANINGFUL DIFFERENCES WITH LOW DETAILS OFF THE SOUTHEAST/EASTCOAST.  RECENT ECMWF RUNS ARE ON THE SHARPER/AMPLIFIED SIDE OF THESPREAD WITH THEIR SHORTWAVE LEADING TO A SURFACE LOW ON THE WRNSIDE OF THE SPREAD INTO WED/THU.  THIS SOLTUION HAS INCREASINGLYFAVORABLE SUPPORT FROM RECENT ECMWF MEANS...AND GIVEN RECENTHISTORY IN THIS PATTERN RECENT GFS/GEFS ENSEMBLE MEANS SCENARIOSMAY BE TOO FAR OFFSHORE.  WPC GUIDANCE SHOWS AN INCREASEDPOTENTIAL FOR WINTERY PCPN OVER THE SOUTHEAST/SRN MID-ATLANTICCOMPARED TO CONTINUITY AS THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN NOW BRINGS A BITMORE MOISTURE AND PCPN ONSHORE COMPARED TO THE DETERMINISTICECMWF.  THIS SEEMS MORE CONSISTENT WITH SUCH AN AMPLIFIED MEANMID-UPPER LEVEL TROUGH POSITION.

QPF maps for the period issued around 3pm

95ep48iwbg_fill.gif

97ep48iwbg_fill.gif

12z Ensembles still more robust on precip further west than Op Euro. Mean is 3" for RDU with a handful of 9"+ members, similar to 00z ensembles if I remember correcting. Game very much on.

Thanks for posting some of the ensemble details.  How much farther west does the precip extend as you go south and west toward South Carolina and Georgia?

18z throws out yet another different look at 5h. @87 northern energy is making it's way south. Very weakish piece is diving into TX. Mean while the energy in the SW is just sitting their spinning just off the coast of western Mexico.  Compared to 12z which had that Mexico energy trekking almost into Texas. It's gonna be a wild ride over the weekend folks. 

18z throws out yet another different look at 5h. @87 northern energy is making it's way south. Very weakish piece is diving into TX. Mean while the energy in the SW is just sitting their spinning just off the coast of western Mexico.  Compared to 12z which had that Mexico energy trekking almost into Texas. It's gonna be a wild ride over the weekend folks. 

Holds the southern energy back... misses the first polar s/w.   Watch the second one...

The 18z DGEX is a bomb.  View at your own risk   This isn't the only frame with preicp.

Was just about to post that, #Banter, not surprising though considering the 12z GFS and 18z NAM.  Clown map should be more colorful than the 6z run I posted a couple days ago.  Note how it takes the 700mb dry punch from Augusta up towards SE VA, something a few 12z GFS mems were hinting at.  This leads to some SN for the 77 corridor in NC, as well as DC.  Full run can be seen here: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/DGEXEAST_18z/dgexloop.html  Clown will not be out for a couple hours.

Archived