• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

I'm gonna be that guy to go out on a limb and say we see a lot more people away from the coast get into a wintry situation. The theme of the recent past has been for some pretty strong northern energy clippers to drop down. Obv it comes down to the trough orientation but I could easily see the northern energy getting this thing to happen. My gut tells me we see a solution somewhere where the slp goes over hatteras or somewhere just inside there.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know the threat is real when JB mentions a snow in the carolinas this morning; Allan is posting, and Robert is talking about it/logging on all at the same time.

On top of that, Stormsfury is posting, Moto is back, Lookout seems intrigued.  All great signs!  Larry might have a winner thread here.  Glad I voted for him to start it!

DT's liking the possibility too.

tn - what do you mean by phasing in this context?...seeing that a lot on here.  There's no southern stream system of any significance.  Do you mean the northern stream separating more and trying to close off?

Ah, but there is.  It is weak but it what we want the northern s/w to capture, phase, in with and pull its sfc low up.  Otherwise, you get the strung out, overunning event along the immediate coast line at best.

This is what we want to happen: (p007 member)

acVbClL.jpg

JKExK0P.jpg

I'm gonna be that guy to go out on a limb and say we see a lot more people away from the coast get into a wintry situation. The theme of the recent past has been for some pretty strong northern energy clippers to drop down. Obv it comes down to the trough orientation but I could easily see the northern energy getting this thing to happen. My gut tells me we see a solution somewhere where the slp goes over hatteras or somewhere just inside there.

Exactly! Like a few weeks back and we were suppose to stay dry with all moisture of the coast, it trended way west and 2 days out finally had rain showing and lots of people got 2-3 inches of rain

KCAE:

FORECAST CHALLENGE DURING THIS PERIOD CONTINUES TO FOCUS ON   POTENTIAL FOR WINTER WEATHER ASSOCIATED WITH A DEVELOPING COASTAL   LOW MID WEEK.    YESTERDAY BOTH THE GFS/ECMWF WERE SHOWING DEVELOPMENT OF A COASTAL   LOW IN RESPONSE TO A DIGGING SHORTWAVE OVER THE OHIO/TENNESSEE   VALLEY DURING THE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY TIME FRAME WITH THE   ECMWF BEING A BIT STRONGER AND GIVING MORE PRECIPITATION THAN THE   GFS.  24/00Z RUNS TRENDED A BIT FURTHER OFFSHORE AND 12Z RUNS SHOW   REASONABLE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GFS/ECMWF WITH SURFACE LOW   DEVELOPMENT OFF THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST WITH THE BACK EDGE OF   PRECIPITATION JUST REACHING THE EASTERN MIDLANDS. ECMWF IS A BIT   MORE PROGRESSIVE WITH MOVING THE LOW FURTHER NORTHEAST QUICKER THAN   THE GFS DUE TO A MORE OPEN TROUGH PUSHING ACROSS THE EAST COMPARED   TO THE GFS SHOWING A BIT MORE CLOSED UPPER LOW OVER THE OHIO VALLEY.    THERMAL PROFILES DURING THE EVENT PERIOD ARE COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT   SNOW FOR THE FORECAST AREA ON BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF BUT THE   QUESTION WILL BE WITH THE AMOUNT OF MOISTURE AVAILABLE AND THE   FORCING ASSOCIATED WITH THE CYCLOGENESIS AND APPROACHING SHORTWAVE.    GIVEN THE DIFFERENCES OF THE MODELS AND THE CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY   REGARDING THE TIMING AND ITS EXACT LOCATION OF THE COASTAL FRONT AND   LOW ALONG THE COAST WILL BE HESITANT TO BE TOO AGGRESSIVE WITH POPS   AT THIS TIME.  HAVE OPTED TO INCLUDE A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW TUESDAY   NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY ACROSS THE FAR EASTERN MIDLANDS BUT DO NOT   EXPECT MUCH IN WAY OF ACCUMULATION AT THIS POINT.  

To me this is just like the Monday storm; a clipper forms a low off the coast, but too late for anybody east of Raleigh.  I bet it turns out the same way. 

In order for this to become a big deal inland, something dramatic like the trough going negative, closing off, quadruple phasing or something or other needs to happen.  I haven't heard any model showing that, only various distances of how far it digs. 

Exactly! Like a few weeks back and we were suppose to stay dry with all moisture of the coast, it trended way west and 2 days out finally had rain showing and lots of people got 2-3 inches of rain

If anything this will trend east leaving everyone west of I-95 out. This could end up like 1989 though when the coast got a major hit and then the rest of winter was warm and wet.

To me this is just like the Monday storm; a clipper forms a low off the coast, but too late for anybody east of Raleigh. I bet it turns out the same way.

In order for this to become a big deal inland, something dramatic like the trough going negative, closing off, quadruple phasing or something or other needs to happen. I haven't heard any model showing that, only various distances of how far it digs.

Idk you are getting some solutions showing that the ultimate path may hug the coast per Euro (especially ensembles) GFS UKMET CANADIEN. This is still 5 days away we've seen plenty and plenty of times again where models underestimate the pattern.

tn - what do you mean by phasing in this context?...seeing that a lot on here.  There's no southern stream system of any significance.  Do you mean the northern stream separating more and trying to close off?

I think there is some confusion as to what was causing the big deal on the Euro. It seemed like there were two parcels of energy. One rolling through the south and another northern stream coming down and capturing it to really juice it. GFS hinted at this as well. It seems that in actuality it was just the southern energy getting really amped up and just heading east?

Why don't you do yourself a favor, go outside and take a break.  :whistle:

Yeah all these silly questions/comments that are either irrelevant or can be answered simply by reading the thread has gotten really old. Going to have to start handing out warnings or suspensions if it doesn't stop.

For those of you with these types of questions or comments..take it to the banter thread and leave it out of this one.

A NOTE to all the folks showing up on the board. Please realize this board is run by a person just like you and me that spends hours keeping this board running. Please DONATE to the cause for keeping the board RUNNING FREE OF CHARGE.

Thanks for your time and DONATION...

2nd that motion.

GSP:

A FAIR AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY REMAINS WRT THE DEVELOPMENT OF
A SFC LOW TO OUR SOUTH FOR LATE TUES AND WED. THE LONG RANGE MODELS
HAVE BEEN INCONSISTENT WRT TO HOW FAR THE TRACK...AND CONSEQUENTLY
THE DEEPER MOISTURE OF THE SYSTEM...REMAINS OFFSHORE. THE LATEST
RUNS OF THE GFS...ECMWF...AND CMC KEEP NEARLY ALL OF THE DEEPER LYR
MOISTURE JUST OUR SE AS THE LOW TRACKS UP THE COAST. OF COURSE IF
THE TRACK SHIFTS EVEN A SMALL AMOUNT TO THE NORTH...THERE IS AMPLE
COLD AIR IN PLACE TO PRODUCE SNOW OVER MUCH OF THE CAROLINAS. THIS
WILL HAVE TO BE WATCHED CLOSELY IN THE COMING DAYS.
AFTER THE LOW
MOVES NE OF THE REGION...BRIEF REINFORCING HIGH PRESSURE WILL BRING
DRY CONDITIONS FOR THURS. THE MODELS GENERATE ANOTHER...WEAKER COLD
FRONT AND MOVE IT TO OUR DOORSTEP BY EARLY FRI...HOWEVER THE GFS
KEEPS THE FROPA DRY WHILE THE ECMWF IS WETTER. FOR THE TIME BEING I
HAVE ONLY INCLUDED SLIGHT CHANCE POPS FOR PORTIONS OF THE CWFA FOR
THE FIRST HALF OF FRI. TEMPS WILL REMAIN BELOW CLIMATOLOGY THRU THE
PERIOD WITH WARMING ON DAYS 6 AND 7

I wouldn't get to worried or too excited until Sunday and we see the evolution of the models and placement of the low (and High) as it comes onshore. I have a feeling this could very well actually go more East rather than the normal NW drift because of the strength and depth of the cold drying most of us out and forcing the low off shore with the location of the High being critical. The placement of that High will be important as to the eventual track of the Low IMO

Ah, but there is.  It is weak but it what we want the northern s/w to capture, phase, in with and pull its sfc low up.  Otherwise, you get the strung out, overunning event along the immediate coast line at best.

This is what we want to happen: (p007 member)

JKExK0P.jpg

I'm with you, but what's mainly driving the bus to me regarding how much precip works inland is how far southwest the northern piece tracks, how strong it is, and how much the flow up and down the east coast backs to the SW.  Location of jet axis upstream over the mid-atlantic is important too.

Yeah all these silly questions/comments that are either irrelevant or can be answered simply by reading the thread has gotten really old. Going to have to start handing out warnings or suspensions if it doesn't stop.

For those of you with these types of questions or comments..take it to the banter thread and leave it out of this one.

Probably wise ... a lot of us are out of storm mode shape. It's been a while.

But while we're waiting, I have a question about the GFS before it comes around again. Seems that I recall the GFS used to have a tendency to squash southern stream storms, which is one reason it was slow to click on the Dec. 2010 storm. have there been any adjustments made to the model since then, or is that a perceived bias to watch for still? Thanks!

Euro ENS mean looks very close to 0z run, maybe a hair east. Need ind members to be sure.

2nd look, definitely 20 or so miles east with mean precip field.

Somewhat concerning you could say. Would much more like to see the ensembles west still. Plenty of time to correct

If anything this will trend east leaving everyone west of I-95 out. This could end up like 1989 though when the coast got a major hit and then the rest of winter was warm and wet.

What? Then it's already behind the 8 ball.

Trends are to bring this west. I anyone thinks the model runs over the last two days are set in stone will be severely disappointed.

I have an interest in seein this drift west. That said the trend is your friend.

You would also think that any interaction or trough orientation changes would certainly hinder any further eastward tracking.

To me this is just like the Monday storm; a clipper forms a low off the coast, but too late for anybody east of Raleigh.  I bet it turns out the same way. 

In order for this to become a big deal inland, something dramatic like the trough going negative, closing off, quadruple phasing or something or other needs to happen.  I haven't heard any model showing that, only various distances of how far it digs. 

This literally has almost nothing in common with that Monday storm...at least from what I can remember. 

Probably wise ... a lot of us are out of storm mode shape. It's been a while.

But while we're waiting, I have a question about the GFS before it comes around again. Seems that I recall the GFS used to have a tendency to squash southern stream storms, which is one reason it was slow to click on the Dec. 2010 storm. have there been any adjustments made to the model since then, or is that a perceived bias to watch for still? Thanks!

It had 2 storms one in Jan & on in Feb. really surpressed....way down in S FL (it was a running joke on Andy Woods blog). Don't know if it got corrected or not.

Archived