• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 11-12 Rain Soaker

Baroclinic Zone

it's fine just get one of those helmets with speakers built in and play the glorious mountain snow reports on continuous loop as you plow through puddles.

:lol: someone must keep "pissing in your Cheerios" as Coastalwx calls it. I'm not even sure why ski areas bother...might as well shut 'er down until perfect conditions materialize.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the 60 people that I work with, nobody aside from me is unhappy with winter taking a vacation. Everyone is thrilled to have warm weather upcoming this weekend and beyond.

Oh yeah, that's all the general public wants right now. The number of FB posts I've seen that say "bring on spring" or "I'm moving south" in the past couple days is astonishing. Any non-snow lover is totally over it already, lol.

Out of the 60 people that I work with, nobody aside from me is unhappy with winter taking a vacation. Everyone is thrilled to have warm weather upcoming this weekend and beyond.

...Useless "warmth" this time of year.  It might as well be white and cold.

People are funny. They throw the word "warmer" around as if they're going to be able to head to the beach or get that huge outdoor bar-b-que going.

Looks like a couple of rain events with rapid S/W translation/turn-over through the middle range.  The first this weekend, followed by one perhaps slightly less robust, with only limited cooling in between.  The front side environment for the one on the weekend is quite a mild look as others have certainly covered.  The air behind is a modifying Pac polar air mass that warms while it's passing through, leaving a general above 0C 850mb until another fropa D6 or 7.  It's after that fropa that I think things get interesting...

Deep range PNA is really exploding at this point.  Over +2SD at CPC and at least that much at CDC, and other model type ensemble systems concur.  En route to that (16th-22nd) we could wind up with a major precipitation event over eastern N/A in keeping with Archembault signal.  The NAO is even going slightly negative at that time, which serves a double teleconnector targeting into the OV-MA-NE regions.  Small downward blip in the EPO domain in the GEFs is timed with a -30 to -40C 850mb air mass load by the Euro oper. so perhaps some cross-guidance signal for available cold.  Bottom line, a recess in winter is not that uncommon.

This period of warm-up and so forth was well signaled all along, but it has its lease. 

...Useless "warmth" this time of year. It might as well be white and cold.

People are funny. They throw the word "warmer" around as if they're going to be able to head to the beach or get that huge outdoor bar-b-que going.

Ryan feeds them on TV too. What great activities would you suggest in warm rainstorm? Bowling?

Looking on the bright side, a few things to consider....

1) it gives us something to track

2) no one will be accused of slant-sticking

3) there will be no confusion as to how much was "new" vs old.

4) people can take down their Christmas lights

5) do a yard clean-up

6) your cars will get washed

bite me

Looking on the bright side, a few things to consider....

1) it gives us something to track

2) no one will be accused of slant-sticking

3) there will be no confusion as to how much was "new" vs old.

4) people can take down their Christmas lights

5) do a yard clean-up

6) your cars will get washed

1. true dat

2. mud depths may vary wildly

3. except when there are "new" ponds created from all the water

4. damn, thats a long time to have those up. should just keep them up year round at this point

5. yup, get a jump start on the warm season

6. it helps if you drive as fast as you can. power washes it.

Just looking back at last years records, we went through the same thing and recovered fine. Last Dec had decent snows, but not as much cold. I remember snowshoeing through some pretty deep stuff for our area around early Jan, and then by the 14th we had mild temps and hvy rain. Almost lost all the snow. This year seems very similar, but a week earlier. I'm staying optimistic and hoping that by the 20th, we've got some fresh snow on the ground to build the pack yet again.

Just looking back at last years records, we went through the same thing and recovered fine. Last Dec had decent snows, but not as much cold. I remember snowshoeing through some pretty deep stuff for our area around early Jan, and then by the 14th we had mild temps and hvy rain. Almost lost all the snow. This year seems very similar, but a week earlier. I'm staying optimistic and hoping that by the 20th, we've got some fresh snow on the ground to build the pack yet again.

For what it is worth:

Almanac editor and Maine meteorologists agree — the snow will stick around

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/08/news/state/meteorologists-almanac-editor-warn-mainers-that-snow-will-stick-around/

Tomorrow aftn is when you draw the shades and play Pink Floyd through the middle of next week.

Fitting,  my wife thinks PF is depression music.

My p/c forecast looks above normal but not like days of 50's. This too shall pass.

"Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

I am attending the Patriots game on Saturday night.  Is it going to be the heaviest during the game or after?  NOAA says rain after 2 pm but most likely tapering off by 5 am.

I went to the last rain game 2 weeks ago. It will pour buckets from the 1st minute of the 1st quarter until the last minute of the 4th quarter.

Take it from me, leave your cell phone in the car. It will not survive the game.

Zip lock bags work wonders. ;)

And it is going to pour!

I have a duck hunting jacket that's 100% watertight.  There's two front pockets for keeping your hands warm. It was raining so hard it trapped the water in the pockets creating pools of water that doused my phone.    If you ever want to stay dry, Drake waterfowl jackets are the ticket. You can walk around with an inch of water in your pocket and not even know.

Archived