Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 11-12 Rain Soaker

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing to look forward to is that we're able to overcome any inversion and mix down some damaging south winds.

That's always far from a lock in January. Esp with the recent cold snap cooling things off over the waters south of us.

How much will Dendrite have left OTG when it's over?

Here in Dendrite land we have just under 12" of hard pack snow.  Here is a picture with my snow stake in the distance.  It is going to be hard to get rid of this stuff so I would still think we will maintain snowcover for the most part.

post-268-0-47899100-1389202823_thumb.jpg

If it goes, it goes. NBD.

Lots of regression aggression in CT these days.

Yeah Kevin has been trying to melt everyone else's snow this year way more than normal...not sure what's up. Trying to get rid of our White Christmas and then a couple days ago after his was wiped out.

Being a winter lover, he should be happy that others were holding onto snow.

If it goes, it goes. NBD.

Lots of regression aggression in CT these days.

Consider it nice that he is so concerned for your snow ;)

I've got less than you (about 7" of concrete that I can walk on and shines like Mr Clean's bald head) and think there's a chance we see grass for the first time since November 20, but if that's how it is, that's how it goes.  This winter has been bizarre in that I've had this consistent weak to moderate snowpack but it has yet to fully disappear, yet its also not gotten above like 10.5".  It is so water-logged and frozen solid, its hard to call it snow. 

I don't want anyone's snow to melt. But I was fooled that mine wouldn't melt this week by a few on here, so I just want folks to be prepared should it happen , so they don't go thru the hardships I endured

Why be fooled by others on here when you supposedly know your climo so well.  You should trust you're own knowledge.

How much will Dendrite have left OTG when it's over?

Plenty, ditto for wxeyeNH.

That is a great spot for pack retention. Its a bit of a balancing act, Dendrite land locally can be a bit better at grabbing actual snowfall than the area up towards K1P1 in many setups but the 1P1 area is a bit better at holding it. Either way, in general its a very interesting thing. If I was a millionaire Id run a field project up there to study the CAD. They are pretty well sheltered from major winter torches, I don't ever remember ripping winds with any southerly component at 1P1 in my years up there, hell its hard to remember any sizable wind events if it was not NW'erly. I don't entirely know why the area is so unique in holding cold on a relatively large scale. Plenty of topo that, on the surface, seems similar all over the Northeast.

Models always over do the warming in that area and, at least back in 05-09, it seemed GYX never had a clue what was gonna happen.

I enjoy the snow I have left here. All the bays and inlets are frozen with a deep winter appeal as Kevin would say.

Yes, exactly, people can speak for themselves but I think a good majority of the board still has a nice wintry appeal going at the very least. Whats out there now is not futile and I consider myself lucky to have it vs going through this cold without it. Single digits with only a few stray piles in the biggest parking lots SUCKS and Ive seen that plenty. Its orders of magnitude better to still have anywhere from 50-100% coverage depending on where you go in the neighborhood and piles/roadside snowbanks are still aplenty. Looks like winter. I'm not upset and I'm not drawing the shades over the weekend rain/torch, this is no doubt going to be a reloading time vs Monday which was running a strong danger of having a "useless" cold week with nothing but brown. Thankfully, complete disaster was averted.

I don't want anyone's snow to melt. But I was fooled that mine wouldn't melt this week by a few on here, so I just want folks to be prepared should it happen , so they don't go thru the hardships I endured

Oh the humanity!

This is the kind of snowpack that doesn't want to leave, especially when we have 15 hours of darkness.  It is the kind of snow pack that you wonder why you still have snow after a string of days in the 50s and 60s in April.  It is full of water, layers of ice and frozen up well.  Goal is to breach 3 ft on the level at some point this winter, hopefully by end of Jan.  My personal record is 34" in 2011.

I am a snowpack queen because when you got a pack then every storm looks and feels like a biggie...

Oh the humanity!

This is the kind of snowpack that doesn't want to leave, especially when we have 15 hours of darkness.  It is the kind of snow pack that you wonder why you still have snow after a string of days in the 50s and 60s in April.  It is full of water, layers of ice and frozen up well.  Goal is to breach 3 ft on the level at some point this winter, hopefully by end of Jan.  My personal record is 34" in 2011.

I am a snowpack queen because when you got a pack then every storm looks and feels like a biggie...

Nothing better than snow on snow Mark, I agree

If it goes, it goes. NBD

Understand the above meaning, but the upcoming torch-deluge were sufficient to wipe out my armor-plated 16" (probably 3"+ LE) in the foothills CAD capital, it would be a big deal, especially for folks along watercourses.  Not going to happen, however, though the reality might cause enough trouble in places prone to ice jam issues.

Archived