Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 11-12 Rain Soaker

Baroclinic Zone

From GYX's morning AFD:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

MODELS ARE SIMILAR WITH NEXT WEATHER EVENT SATURDAY AFTERNOON

THROUGH SUNDAY. STRONG COLD FRONT APPROACHES SATURDAY WITH

OVERUNNING PRECIPITATION BEGINNING AFTER SUNRISE IN WESTERN ZONES

AND SPREADING NORTH AHEAD. INITIALLY PRECIPITATION MAY START AS A

PERIOD OF SLEET, SNOW, AND FREEZING RAIN BUT THIS MIXED

PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE LIGHT AND SHOULD NOT LAST LONG. THE WARM

AIR SHOULD MOVE INTO THE ENTIRE CWA FAIRLY QUICKLY WITH THE STRONG

SOUTHERLY WINDS. EXPECT PRECIPITATION TO BE OCCASIONALLY HEAVY BY

LATE AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. PWATS WILL BE WELL

ABOVE NORMAL AS SYSTEM WILL BE DRAWING MOISTURE FROM THE BAHAMAS.

EXPECT A SOAKING RAIN OF 1 TO 2 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS

IN THE FAVORED UPSLOPE AREAS. WILL HAVE TO MONITOR RIVERS FOR

FLOOD ISSUES DUE TO ICE JAMS.

More fun than we deserve.  ;)

Love how we always seem to over perform on wet events, but rarely on snow.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burly men sleeveless toe tapping next to him @ trucks stop?

Or snow

I just hope the sat nite soaker doesn't screw up game too badly, are winds gonna be very gusty from south?

I hope the conditions are really terrible, Brady does not mind, But i am sure the colts will as the get a steady dose of blount

So...Do we see Flooding from Ice jams on smaller and larger rivers with this weekends rain or in southern areas that normally don't see this?  Drove by Ginxy's favorite tubing spot today and noticed the amount of icebuild up from the last rain event, and this was a smaller stream/river.

So...Do we see Flooding from Ice jams on smaller and larger rivers with this weekends rain or in southern areas that normally don't see this?  Drove by Ginxy's favorite tubing spot today and noticed the amount of icebuild up from the last rain event, and this was a smaller stream/river.

Yea I was just talking with a contractor who lives near me, he told me about the Moosup river flood from an ice jam in the 80's said whole trees were ripped out like nothing, apparently a jam right by 395 underpass. that would be cool. I saw one on the Androscoggin with iceberg like chunks stacked up. A concern I am sure for some rivers.

Reindeer sweaters and wool-knitted hats diving head-first through the bull-wheel on the lift.

Yeah, but what's the difference at this point... its only the 4th thaw since early December of this epic winter.  And wouldn't surprise me if numbers 5 and 6 come down the pipeline prior to MLK weekend, lol.

Its almost comical at this point that this winter is even being considered as good in some parts of New England, haha.

LOL, are we thinking something along the lines of 00:16 from below?

Awesome!  Where did you find that?  I've been looking for that trailer for a while.  I remember when I first came up here and was debating about what mountain to buy a pass at (long before my involvement at Stowe) and someone posted that trailer and said, "this is why you want to ski Stowe/Mansfield..."  I remember that vividly and that was why I chose Mount Mansfield that first year at UVM.

I feel bad for MRG...ugh.

Thursday January 09, 2014

Due to the current conditions and lack of skier traffic we have decided to suspend midweek operations until we see more snow up on the hill. We will certainly re-open for the weekend with skiing on the Practice Slope and our seasonal kids programs will go on as scheduled. This situation is certainly a bummer but please don't lose heart MRG skiers. Rest assured it will snow again, we will have powder days and we'll all be ripping up our legendary terrain soon enough. Thanks for your patience and, now more than ever, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....THINK SNOW!!!

I just spit my coffee on the screen

Classic lolz with that photo.

This may be as close as most of us come.

Frosty the pop-up snow man?

This was me in late May one year.... maybe we'll get to do it again soon.

Snow is overrated for skiing.  I killed like 500 vertical feet without touching a patch of snow, lol.

Dude, you are freaking insane.  What kind of grade/%slope do you need to even get your "rock" ski's going down that mess of dirt rock and stone?

I feel bad for MRG...ugh.

Thursday January 09, 2014

Due to the current conditions and lack of skier traffic we have decided to suspend midweek operations until we see more snow up on the hill. We will certainly re-open for the weekend with skiing on the Practice Slope and our seasonal kids programs will go on as scheduled. This situation is certainly a bummer but please don't lose heart MRG skiers. Rest assured it will snow again, we will have powder days and we'll all be ripping up our legendary terrain soon enough. Thanks for your patience and, now more than ever, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....THINK SNOW!!!

Wow.  That's the breaks with limited snowmaking however in this part of the country.

Dude, you are freaking insane.  What kind of grade/%slope do you need to even get your "rock" ski's going down that mess of dirt rock and stone?

It started out on snow to get the speed up... but if the bases of your skis are wet, just let 'em rip.  That's how those guys do grass skiing and even ski down sand dunes and stuff like that.  British Columbia has a famous summer ski race down like a sand slope.  Wet grass is almost smoother than like a heavy wet snow, lol.

back then they did, snowmaking has changed the game

Yep.  No one will be closing except those like MRG or Magic Mountain or essentially anyone that doesn't have a solid snowmaking system.  We go through this every January thaw, though this year has been worse than most, but we get all these posts about resorts closing, etc.

I'm not sure people comprehend how much rain and warmth it would take to wipe out snowmaking trails.  There's a reason why that's all still there in mid-May once the natural snow has long melted off the hills. 

Think of it this way... if you had 4-6 feet of 3:1 ratio snow spread across your front yard (essentially like multiple feet of sleet)...would you be worried about losing that in the next week?

Yep.  No one will be closing except those like MRG or Magic Mountain or essentially anyone that doesn't have a solid snowmaking system.  We go through this every January thaw, though this year has been worse than most, but we get all these posts about resorts closing, etc.

I'm not sure people comprehend how much rain and warmth it would take to wipe out snowmaking trails.  There's a reason why that's all still there in mid-May once the natural snow has long melted off the hills. 

Think of it this way... if you had 4-6 feet of 3:1 ratio snow spread across your front yard (essentially like multiple feet of sleet)...would you be worried about losing that in the next week?

Well i would lol

Well i would lol

Haha, yeah but you're different ;)

I always just look at it like 2011-2012 was an awful winter...capped off by a 10 day torch that featured 5 straight days of 30+ departures (like 75/50 type days) in March...and if resorts can make it through that, well they can make it through anything, haha.

Archived