Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 11-12 Rain Soaker

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i won't enjoy it, but as it will ruin my ice skating pond. But at least it will melt the glacier in the driveway and get rid of the ice pack.

As others have noted, ice jams and flooding are a serious concern for the region. Montpelier, with the Winooski River running adjacent to the downtown region, is particularly vulnerable. An inch of QPF, the quarter to half inch of water in the snowpack, and an ice jam make for some potentially ugly conditions.

I would bet significant money there's much more liquid in the snowpack. Even if only 4-6" in depth it's solid ice. I bet there's 1-2" locked up, with all the rain/freezing rain we've had since Dec 20, most is still in the snowpack.

I never understood why they put the capitol of the state there. Floods so often with ice jams.

I've heard that some of the issues there have to do with a dam (which wasn't there way back when) that slows the water down enough to freeze up quite thickly....and then backs up at the bend just downstream of the dam.

Although the Army Corp says the dam helps:

http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/FloodRiskManagement/Vermont/Baily.aspx

Not really sure...

I would bet significant money there's much more liquid in the snowpack. Even if only 4-6" in depth it's solid ice. I bet there's 1-2" locked up, with all the rain/freezing rain we've had since Dec 20, most is still in the snowpack.

I think you're right.  The NOAA Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center shows widespread 1-2" equivalent water in the snowpack.

Not sure my rock solid glacier will make it. One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of run off with the frozen snow pack and frozen ground. Never-the-less, it will snow again.

I am thinking we see .75-1.0" here, It may survive, High temps look to be around 43F saturday and 36F saturday night

Sunday may be the first January day at my place that stays above 32.  I've had two days with the lows right at the freezing mark, but this time it looks like only a Sunday evening cooldown would block a milder minimum.  Even in Ft.Kent I had January days that stayed 33 or milder, and in Gardiner, Jan 1995 featured a day with 45 as the low. 

I'd guess there's close to 4" LE in my 16" armorplate.  Unless we get 2"+ at 45 or milder, most of that should still be in place on Monday morning, albeit with a worn and tattered look.

Sunday may be the first January day at my place that stays above 32.  I've had two days with the lows right at the freezing mark, but this time it looks like only a Sunday evening cooldown would block a milder minimum.  Even in Ft.Kent I had January days that stayed 33 or milder, and in Gardiner, Jan 1995 featured a day with 45 as the low. 

I'd guess there's close to 4" LE in my 16" armorplate.  Unless we get 2"+ at 45 or milder, most of that should still be in place on Monday morning, albeit with a worn and tattered look.

What was your high temp last rainstorm? Mine was 49.6F with same dew point. I'd say we lost half our pack. If we get the same temps/dews, I think we lose much of what we have left which around my house is a solid 8-10", more in the woods.

What was your high temp last rainstorm? Mine was 49.6F with same dew point. I'd say we lost half our pack. If we get the same temps/dews, I think we lose much of what we have left which around my house is a solid 8-10", more in the woods.

CAD capital - never got above mid 30s.  Same thing happened in the pre-Thanksgiving deluge.  While Jeff was contemplating cooking his turkey on the picnic table in 60F warmth, neither my thermometer nor Farmington COOP got past 39.  We're also in the ice bullseye for this one, though it's progged to be nuisance level except for walkers and drivers.

Just had to do a round robin from my house to Boston and back.  Such a huge difference in climate with a 2 hour drive.  Left here at 10am with snow and 14F with 10" on the ground.  It was so nice to feel 32F in Boston and see bare ground which I have not seen in so long.  Back up here now and 19F after a high of 22F.  Looks icy tomorrow as my CAD always holds on so long up here.  My snow cover is not going anyplace very fast.

Just had to do a round robin from my house to Boston and back. Such a huge difference in climate with a 2 hour drive. Left here at 10am with snow and 14F with 10" on the ground. It was so nice to feel 32F in Boston and see bare ground which I have not seen in so long. Back up here now and 19F after a high of 22F. Looks icy tomorrow as my CAD always holds on so long up here. My snow cover is not going anyplace very fast.

I think we easily get into the 40s with these next 2 cutters. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose most of our pack by the middle of next week.

Archived