• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

I think the next 12 hours could be revealing ... watch these convective plumes from the Gulf to off the SE Coast to see if they actually emerge/exist, and start controlling the PP like the NAM below... Because you can see when propagating the NAM forward that these are stressing the whole cyclone seaward and probably taking something away from the low farther W in doing so...

nam_namer_018_1000_500_thick.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question about deformation banding.  Being up here in Central NH we are well away from this storm and looking at the model qpf it obviously decreases as you move NW.  Do most all noreasters have a deformation band well away from the center?   I don't see any secondary maxs on qpf charts but would think there would be one up here.  Any input from a Met is appreciated.

Ray is certainly correct about his potential to see a relative screwjob to other areas. Boston proper generally cashes in with a situation like this. Our big storms the coastal front usually starts to the south and works up to the north and buries ray in the end. This one is sort of completely reversed with the extremely cold temperatures. I think there will be plenty of the fronto snows for him to sneak his way into anyways. The real punishing stuff might be closer to the coast in the end though and south of Boston I think. Classic eastern mass beach crush job, absolutely pumped. Can go entire years without one.

I was getting greedy. 

6z NAM even closed off at H5 briefly 18z Friday... continue that trend and I'd be more confident of blizzard conditions in eMA. Tough in this progressive pattern but not impossible.

Still a solid storm. Consensus stands for few hours near-blizzard conditions in my hood / Boston metro with 10-14" total. Could bust 2" either way in case leading waves rob more energy and shift baroclinicity further east vs. better digging trough modeled in the next 12 hours.

Archived