amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised as the skepticism that I'm encountering from the CT crowd because they don't experience the gradients that e MA does in these events....the coast line jets back, and sharpens, thus the temperature gradients and corresponding subsidence zones, are tightened and exaggerated.

It slowly washes out as you get back into s central MA and CT.

You'll have that probably by tomorrow night...6" that is.

Yeah I agree. Dry slot never really makes it up there plus column is cold enough north of the Pike that even lift between BL and 800mb or so is enough to drop accumulating snow. Down here once that 700mb dry slot moves in I think we go to snow grains.

The 20:1 crowd is going to be in trouble during the day tomorrow south of the Pike. 

THE BEST MID LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING SHOULD OCCUR NORTH OF THE
FRONTAL BOUNDARY EXTENDING FROM EASTERN NY STATE INTO SOUTHERN NEW
ENGLAND...WHERE THE BEST LOW LEVEL ISENTROPIC LIFT BENEFITS FROM
THE SYNOPTIC ASCENT IN THE RIGHT REAR QUADRANT OF AN EXITING 110
KNOT JET STREAK. THERE IS A MODEL SIGNAL THAT MESOSCALE BANDING
WILL DEVELOPMENT IN THIS AREA...BUT AT THIS POINT THERE IS ENOUGH
MODEL SPREAD IN PLACEMENT OF THE BANDING TO ATTEMPT TO COVER THE
MOST LIKELY PLACEMENTS MORE BROADLY. GIVEN THE POTENTIAL FOR
BANDING...SLR VALUES IN THIS AREA COULD BE AS HIGH AS 15:1. THE
MODEL CONSENSUS QPF MAXIMA STRETCHES FROM EASTERN NY STATE INTO
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND...SO A SWATH OF 6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW WAS
PLACED HERE. THESE AMOUNTS ARE WELL SUPPORTED BY 00Z GEFS AND
ECMWF ENSEMBLE OUTPUT.

Mr. Whoa is me you are not getting 6". Just being that cold with that amount of QPF and everyone's mama and brother going with a general foot. Don't see it. I could see CT getting the shaft with some slants 3" inflated just to keep up with the going to have's.  OES will pad 6+" IMO on he southshore of MA. Scoots looks GOLDEN.

In the real world it comes down to how this all meshes together.  

Wow, this is some pretty heavy wording here ...

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW/GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN DANGEROUSLY
LOW WIND CHILLS ALONG WITH CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW. NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE FOR A TIME
ALONG THE EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS COAST THURSDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY
FRIDAY...RESULTING IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. TRAVEL MAY BECOME
IMPOSSIBLE."

Wonder if they'll pull the B-criteria trigger here shortly...

Asked earlier but got no responses--clearly not a popular topic.  :)  But, any guesses to how BOX might proceed with advisories and warnings?  I guessed earlier that perhaps going with an adivsory for the northern tier tonight and evolve into a warning for the entire region tomorrow afternoon?  It's not clean but the two part system isn't a really clean one.

Asked earlier but got no responses--clearly not a popular topic. :) But, any guesses to how BOX might proceed with advisories and warnings? I guessed earlier that perhaps going with an adivsory for the northern tier tonight and evolve into a warning for the entire region tomorrow afternoon? It's not clean but the two part system isn't a really clean one.

Why would they go with an advisory to the north when the whole region sees at least a couple inches tonight?

It'd be nice to see full consensus but in reality all models continue to agree on blizzard conditions in at least coastal sections.

Congrat's Messenger and the South Shore on the 12z BTV4 run....its really a good model to pick up those enhancements, but look at that coastal front jackpot on the south shore.

Nice easterly fetch upslope into the ORH Hills and East Slopes, too.

This is run total precipitation through 7pm Friday...

Congrat's Messenger and the South Shore on the 12z BTV4 run....its really a good model to pick up those enhancements, but look at that coastal front jackpot on the south shore.

btv4.jpg

I am about 6-8 hours from full fledged excitement. I'm not prone to throw out analogs but the setup could yield some craziness like 05.

Why would they go with an advisory to the north when the whole region sees at least a couple inches tonight?

I suppose it would be warranted. But, no one's forecast for a couple inches tonight.  Around an inch or so is the current call for tonight.  Official forecast up here is for an additinal 3-5 tomorrow; a little less further south.   I guess they could go straight warning assuming 8" over 24 hours.

attachicon.gifbtv4.jpg

Nice hit for them.  Am I reading the colors wrong?  I'm surprised that it has so many areas less than .5"???

Asked earlier but got no responses--clearly not a popular topic.  :)  But, any guesses to how BOX might proceed with advisories and warnings?  I guessed earlier that perhaps going with an adivsory for the northern tier tonight and evolve into a warning for the entire region tomorrow afternoon?  It's not clean but the two part system isn't a really clean one.

They have some pretty heavy-handed wording in their threat assessment that's associated with the current WWA, where they discuss the plausibility of dangerously cold wind chill, wind, and blowing snow hazard reducing visibility to whiteout, and that traveling might become impossible for eastern zones.  That is about as close to pulling the trigger for Blizzard as they can get without actually pulling the trigger, so we'll wait and see what happens on the next update.  

Archived