• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

Here comes my QPF tag - What the heck are so excited about for 0.5"-0.6"???? You guys make it sound life we all got 1.25-1.75".

**QPF QUEEN** (Though I am kind of serious since 0.6" doesn't equate to the 8-15 predictions from here to TWC to Timbuktu that are out there right now. )

.6 QPF with 15:1 or 20:1 ratios will be 9-12"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Americans FTW

I mean... I really hope someone will plaque this recent Euro's modeling performance to a baseball bat, and use it to topple this idea that it is the best thing ever contrived by man.  It's not infallible, as Ray so eloquently put it the other day, and this last 3 or 4 days has been atrocious dude.  Really, I think the NAM has had better continuity, and that is including its rather disconcerting 12z pull back.  

The Euro has sucked really bad people.  Don't forget it.

I mean... I really hope someone will plague this recent Euro's modeling performance to a baseball bat, and use it to topple this idea that it is the best thing ever contrived by man.  It's not infallible, as Ray so eloquently put it the other day, and this last 3 or 4 days has been atrocious dude.  Really, I think the NAM has had better continuity, and that is including its rather disconcerting 12z pull back.  

Was there some major change made to it in the last 6 months to a year? I don't know how to do verifications, and I don't want to go OT lest people get cranky, but from a layman's view it has been the lesser of the 2 biggies

I mean... I really hope someone will plague this recent Euro's modeling performance to a baseball bat, and use it to topple this idea that it is the best thing ever contrived by man.  It's not infallible, as Ray so eloquently put it the other day, and this last 3 or 4 days has been atrocious dude.  Really, I think the NAM has had better continuity, and that is including its rather disconcerting 12z pull back.  

Euro will have a total flop every once in a while, but it certianly is right more often than not. I recall its atrocious handling of Feb 2006, December 5, 2009, a couple problems in Dec 2010, and even last year it really shat the bed in the 2/26/13 event right up to 24 hours out...though surrounding that it destroyed the competition on the two KU events (3/8/13 and 2/8/13)

I think you can sort of recognize at times when the Euro is struggling...which is why many of us have been expecting warning criteria snowfall despite a couple Euro runs in past 24 hours that give barely advisory snows.

But yes, it is important to recognize that it does fail...it is still only model guidance, not reality.

When it gets right down to go-time, the model with the greatest resolution is your own, in-house climo model.

The models construct the situation, and we can apply that to are own internal databases of past experiences.

Attleboro is a little too removed from the ocean....Situate is right on the ocean, and therefore unable to reap the benefits of that slight incline that is representative of the s shore topography.

I like the S Weymouth, Holbrook, Avon, Stoughton, Brockton, Abington, Whitman, Rockland circle for jack pot potential.

Positioned optimally to maximize fetch of the Atl, yet avail of the very same orographic phenomenon that the TUG does in LE events, though on a much smaller scale.

On the N shore, the topography is a non issue, so the KBEV, Peabody, Danvers, Salem circle is likely to prevail in the battle for local supremacy.

I suspect the reason being is that further out on the peninsula, the Manchester-by-the-sea, Gloucester, Rockport contigent is just a little too exposed to maximize the oceanic contributions, and further n, up toward Rowley, Ipswich, Newbury, Newburyport,, and Salisbury etc, they don't have quite as efficient a fetch off of the ocean due to the angle of the Maine coastline.

In and around the immediate Boston metro portion of the coast line, from Lynn, down through the n half of Braintree, I suspect the angle of the fetch to not be optimal, however that is admittedly speculative on my part.

Just some arbitrary analysis derived from my own experience of which precise spots should be favored in cold events, with oes contributions.

Ultimately time will tell and I shall adjust accordingly for future considerations.

15z RPM. I like for here.

I'll tell you what, I buy that.

100%.

6" here, rapid buildup once you hit rt 128.

Jives with the my circular jackpot area on the s shore, as well....16"+ there.

I'm expecting to be screwed with subsidence.....just se of me does well.

I endorse the RPM in this articular instance.

This one is a head scratcher for school superintendents. Have school Thurs then early release and no school Friday?

Cancel both days?  Open Friday with a delay and single digit temps (old buildings that take a while to heat up)?

No head scratching.....just cancel.  Then who know what might happen Sunday night.  :)

15z RPM. I like for here.

On behalf of the 3 people in GC, we humbly accept this RPM.

Americans FTW

Olympics precursor??

This one is a head scratcher for school superintendents. Have school Thurs then early release and no school Friday?

Cancel both days? Open Friday with a delay and single digit temps (old buildings that take a while to heat up)?

Very interesting. Schools have been closed for a while now. Are they really going to heat up and open for a day?.

I could see them closing both days. However as I've talked to my bro who is still on high school. He's hearing school tomorrow, probably not Friday.

Friday is just not worth it, heavy snow early on at least, and harsh temps

Euro will have a total flop every once in a while, but it certianly is right more often than not. I recall its atrocious handling of Feb 2006, December 5, 2009, a couple problems in Dec 2010, and even last year it really shat the bed in the 2/26/13 event right up to 24 hours out...though surrounding that it destroyed the competition on the two KU events (3/8/13 and 2/8/13)

I think you can sort of recognize at times when the Euro is struggling...which is why many of us have been expecting warning criteria snowfall despite a couple Euro runs in past 24 hours that give barely advisory snows.

But yes, it is important to recognize that it does fail...it is still only model guidance, not reality.

This event reminds me of Dec 2003, PD II, and Boxing day with respect to the qualitative distribution of snowfall in e MA.

Could even add in the Jan 1994 event..very good analog to what will transpire imo.

Completely agree ... It also has better long term verification scores.

I do not mean that folks should adopt an immediate poo-poo tact with the Euro, no -- more at what you say, knowing that it can at times flop around a bit.  I think trying to identify when those times will be (perhaps using this and others to case study) would be useful for the future.  

One question I do have re its verification scores:  Is that in quadrature, or is that the whole hemisphere ... planet, integrated ?  I mean, if it has the best scores overall for the integrated domain of the entire NH (or the planet...), but consummately f-ups up say ...just over N/A, that would be less useful to us to put it nicely...  

Archived