CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I find them fun to look at though.  Personally I just like to get a sense of where they are pegging the best snows(not qpf or totals) as you get closer to an event and ignore everything else.

There is a use for everything, SREFs included. They are nicely highlighting eastern MA for snowfall, so that provides you with some kernel of truth. But absolute values? No thanks, I'll toss the 40+ inches the extremes show.

@BradNBCCT: From late tonight into Friday, significant snow, over 10" in many towns, strong wind and bitter cold...sub zero to follow!

#FirstAlertCT

i trust this guy a lot:

Becoming more confident in a long lull in the snow during the day tomorrow. Some accumulation in the AM then snow tapers odd during day.

Euro definitely bothers me for really hammering the higher totals....but hopefully 12z sheds some light. The other guidance at 12z hasn't really backed down. Ukie ramped up too at 12z.

Yep...the Euro has been slow at times to pick up on higher QPF but it's usually had the pretty decent idea by now.  If it comes towards .8 or .9" down here I think that's a good sign.

The 12z GEFS trimmed back ever so slightly with the .75" line, but they've been very solid.

Nothing new about that here.

ugh...it never ever gets any easier.............I have really been studying the ku books and the pattern seems to go as far back as their tracking of storms in ten year intervals (1900). 

and it really doesn't seem to matter the set up it seems. I am really worried about the waa stuff though

Here are the last five cycles of the NAM's QPF for ORH, showing a clear trend toward greater impact:

.61      .... .61 ?!?!    W-T-F-

See, I am sure people have their own reasons, but I can see that, right there, as a particularly infuriating one wrt the NAM, and why it 86's its own reputation for many. There were both synoptic arguments toward greater amplitude occurring during those increasing numbers, so in a lot of ways, it made/makes sense.   Then this 12z arrives and it is less than half the previous cycle, and one is left scratching their head.   It's a process of miss-direction using that guidance at times.  

The Euro was a minor hit, but still impressive with the cold aspect.   But we're just talking handling snow.  ... The Euro has been trending off the throttle as far as significant impact.  Remember just two days ago, that incredible model run...ever since then it's just been battling against developing a storm at least excuse imaginable.  Last night's run really wasn't a storm -- just some minor snow inconvenience in a uber cold atmosphere.   Big whoop!  

May just have to now cast this thing.  

Archived