• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

It looked good at various parameters, including its fictional simulated radar, but then you get to qpf and it's rather paltry outside of far east/southeast NE.

But for me here...I'm pushing 7 inches already so it's not so vital.

New NAM looks even better.  Nice, one of the very few times where all guidance improves as the event arrives and is underway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looked good at various parameters, including its fictional simulated radar, but then you get to qpf and it's rather paltry outside of far east/southeast NE.

But for me here...I'm pushing 7 inches already so it's not so vital.

It's high ratio stuff.  Radar is unimpressive away from the water but the atmosphere has been able to produce anyway.

It will be really interesting tonight when it "does" have high QPF to see how much snow is really falling in those heavy bands.

if you read his discussion..it's based on the higher than normal snow ratios..if ratios were 10:1 it would be 8-12 with modeled qpf..so with higher ratios he's going for higher totals. 

It makes sense..but that doesn't mean that every single place is going to get that amount as you know

Any idea where he gets that ratio-adjusted qpf map?  Very Cool.  Never seen it before.

Last call..for alcohol..drink it up

LAST CALL --- GAME TIME

January 2, 2014 at 12:38pmSTAR DATE 201401.02

I have 0.3" in westbrook. A glorified dusting. When's my 11.7-15.7" coming? Tonight? Oooook DT.

You got me beat! Didn't even bother to measure because it doesn't even look like 0.1". Should see steadier stuff moving back in in the next 2-3 hours. I'm sticking with my conservative 4-8" call for most of the state...8-10" in the hills. Seems there's always bigger bust potential on the high end when forecasting ratios. Although I admit...some of the amounts from the WAA are impressive and that's encouraging...but doesn't necessarily mean those ratios will translate to the coastal.

We are under this beautiful 25 dbz band now across the CD of New York. Normally that would be moderate snow, but given the ratios it seems heavy. Visibility is about a half mile tops right now and it is 1 degree.

You got me beat! Didn't even bother to measure because it doesn't even look like 0.1". Should see steadier stuff moving back in in the next 2-3 hours. I'm sticking with my conservative 4-8" call for most of the state...8-10" in the hills. Seems there's always bigger bust potential on the high end when forecasting ratios. Although I admit...some of the amounts from the WAA are impressive and that's encouraging...but doesn't necessarily mean those ratios will translate to the coastal.

Okay, just got of a conference call with NWS Tan office....  They left Suffolk Co out of the blizzard warning because they don't really feel the people who live there deserve a blizzard. They've checked their list twice and have determined who's been naughty and nice as posters, and there's just too many non-deserving people who happen (much to their chagrin) to really be wanting the drama of a severe winter storm.  It's just unfortunate for those in the minority nicers that have to take the punishment of personalized warning types... 

Okay, just got of a conference call with NWS Tan office....  They left Suffolk Co out of the blizzard warning because they don't really feel the people who live there deserve a blizzard. They've checked their list twice and have determined who's been naughty and nice as posters, and there's just too many non-deserving people who happen (much to their chagrin) to really be wanting the drama of a severe winter storm.  It's just unfortunate for those in the minority nicers that have to take the punishment of personalized warning types... 

:lol: :lol:

Brunswick Maine Storm Total: 8.3", Liquid 0.45", Avg Ratio of 18:1

It appears all ASOS stations in Coastal Maine, Coastal NH and Coastal Mass that were under Blizzard Warnings did not meet the criteria of the warnings. Some stations like Hyannis were at Blizzard conditions periodically but were not for the 3hr minimum. 

Sandwich Mass CoOp station had 3hrs of 35+ mph winds but the station doesn't report precip or visibility therefore an incomplete. 

Personal opinion is that station probably experienced actual blizzard conditions. 

Archived