Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

Here;s one it seems

20 to 1 ratio of snow to water. RT @PeterK_J: at 7 am in Brighton we had 1.0 inch of snow and 0.05 inch of precip

i can attest; we probably have 1.5-2 OTG in brighton and this stuff is pure powder

if you look closely you can see each flake stacked on top of the other

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit I'm a little bummed that I'm not in Newton or Boston anymore. Been movin around NE too much lately.

Ahhhh no TRUST me. Cumberland / Smithfield are better than those. If you want to come see my Massive Excel Spreadsheet on all kinds of winter stats in SNE you'll see that.

So I'm interested... Whats your personal thinking of why Cumberland, RI has been in the "jackpot zone" for most of the storms over the years? Its not on a plateau at all.

Check out my map. The Blue Line represents the Rain / Snow Line in Many of the Battle Ground R/S Line Storms. All other lines you want to be East or South of, all describing different kinds of systems systems that occur best for SNE. The purple one is say a Comma Head pulling away in a Nor'Easter where CT is too far west for the action. As you can see, Northern RI is fantastic outside of any Nurlon or Firehose or OES situation (Red Line). I made that while thing to explain why Foxboro Is a tremendous place to be and why I am as well. Foxboro wins though. North Cumberland all won the Great Blizzard of 1978.

3/7 "never forget"

you can see the town of Cumberland, RI contoured in there w/ the snowfall, it's crazy. Sorry OT..

snowtotals3_6_8_2013.jpg

Yes RI had the worst day possibly ever for many reasons But, I got just over 12" so couldn't complain.

Well KIND OF!

post-2792-0-03398400-1388672539_thumb.jp

Ahhhh no TRUST me. Cumberland / Smithfield are better than those. If you want to come see my Massive Excel Spreadsheet on all kinds of winter stats in SNE you'll see that.

Check out my map. The Blue Line represents the Rain / Snow Line in Many of the Battle Ground R/S Line Storms. All other lines you want to be East or South of, all describing different kinds of systems systems that occur best for SNE. The purple one is say a Comma Head pulling away in a Nor'Easter where CT is too far west for the action. As you can see, Northern RI is fantastic outside of any Nurlon or Firehose or OES situation (Red Line). I made that while thing to explain why Foxboro Is a tremendous place to be and why I am as well. Foxboro wins though. North Cumberland all won the Great Blizzard of 1978.

Yes RI had the worst day possibly ever for many reasons But, I got just over 12" so couldn't complain.

Well KIND OF!

What in the hell is that?

think we have to be careful with the OES stuff...flow will bend NE/NNE/N relatively early in this event with the LP so far to the SE. it might be messenger special as opposed to typical south shore spots. 

Phil it's a tough call.  I think the area just east of those normally favored...maybe on and just east of Rte 24 may be prime later.  I could make up for it after midnight into/thru part of Friday.

To be fair to DT, I think some lucky spot will pull nearly 2'....within that oes circle of win that I outlined  last night.

His general area of 12-18" is absurd, though.

I can undeerstand why he had the 17-22" swath as large as did becaus ehe's a national met, and doesn't know the nuance of sne climo like a lot of us do.

I would have a general belt of 10-16" from Boston points s and e, and along the IMMEDIATE n shore....with a 17-22" blob representing my circle of win area.

n and w of Boston, I'd go 8-12" INSIDE of rt 128, and 6-12" outside of it.

On the cape, 8-12"...islands, 6-10".

I'd also have a swath of 8-12" over the east slopes of the ORH hills and Berkshires, as well.

My final thoughts around the area.

Pretty sure most closed because they knew they'd most likely close Friday and didn't see point in heating up buildings for one day. Might as well close up and start strong on Monday.. Maybe...

I think this, and that the thought of what's the point of coming in for one day in 16-17 stretch (Monday is a prof. dev. day with no kids in some places).

Snow is definitely more impressive this morning than I thought it would be... all basically low level stuff. 

Yep and things should remain that way... because its so cold near the surface and aloft, basically the dendritic snow growth zone extends all the way to the ground. Even low topped echoes should be effective producers of dendrites which is a boon to snowfall totals. Combine that with OES and you have a recipe for an impressive snowstorm. 

Why is everyone confused at that map?  I could name you 5 storms easy for each one of those lines.  This storm includes both the Green line (definitely want to be east of it) and the Red line as well for OES and just to be close to the coast.  I bet Will could name 100 Storms that fall under each line!  What's so confusing?  12/9/05 would be a bit of the purple (intensifying but moving out comma head).  Out to Sea storms that barely hit us would be the Orange line that you'd want to be of course South of.  

Archived