CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ridiculous schools were closed today. Period.

Some districts, like mine opted for a half day today.  Aside from the weather and politics, it can become a snowday issue.  If you get too many snowdays, you sink under the state minimum and must make them up later in the year.  It would be interesting to see how this behavior changes after 3,4,5 snow days.  that is, full days now, but half days (which count as a full day) later in the season.

Yeah pretty cool, You snowing now? I'm actually curious to see the 12z runs today. The NAM/GFS/SREFs were rather robust for overnight out my way.

nada. temps are slowly dropping though. i liked the euro despite the slight cutback up there (but that could just be noise). more N stream energy

nada. temps are slowly dropping though. i liked the euro despite the slight cutback up there (but that could just be noise). more N stream energy

1.25mi vis at TAN, mid 20's.

I have not been able to see the better Euro maps.  I was using Wunderground but since NY's they went all screwy.  Subtle stuff indeed.

Yup. I see Raynham kept schools running. Tough call. WIth the size of Taunton and the logistics of getting a few thousand kids safely to and from school, I can see why they hedged themselves.

They already cancelled afternoon K, so I think they are going to announce early dismissal as soon as the last kid gets off the bus this morning. Saves a snow day I guess.

On the salt issue some we're talking about earlier...our small street was salted this morning and is now frozen/covered and the main roads in raynham are salted but appear to be frozen also.

We're at 23/22, seems like sand is the way to go now

If anything, delayed opening would make more sense than early dismissal.  Unless things redevelop, it looks like the lull will reach up here---and not ramp up too much later on as I'll be so far from the coastal.  Thinking the lower end of my 6-8 range when all is said and done as I think the overrunning will be underperforming here.

Closure makes sense up here today.  Almost 2" down now with steady snow falling, low temps, poor visibility -  not a great day for kids to be waiting for buses.

They already cancelled afternoon K, so I think they are going to announce early dismissal as soon as the last kid gets off the bus this morning. Saves a snow day I guess.

On the salt issue some we're talking about earlier...our small street was salted this morning and is now frozen/covered and the main roads in raynham are salted but appear to be frozen also.

We're at 23/22, seems like sand is the way to go now

Yeah, once you get around 20F, salt becomes pretty ineffective at keeping roads cleared.  Sand would be preferable, I agree or perhaps something else more effective at melting the snow at lower temps.  Would guess that for most towns/cities that may be cost prohibitive.

I get the school closing in taunton. Taunton is huge, and there are so many kids going to so many different places.

I bet all schools close tomorrow, I really didn't see the point of dragging kids to school for one day after a vaca when they know they have a snowday the following day. Not much will be getting accomplished.

Just captured this from AWIPS. You can see convective rolls beginning off Midcoast ME. Nice long fetch to feed to OES.

attachicon.gifkgyx.jpg

Yeah this is about as good as you can get for OES contribution realistically in E MA without having the flow a bit more aligned vertically....the BL is so darn cold though that we don't need the flow that high up to get dendritic growth. I was saying yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if by afternoon that some spots along the shore had pretty decent totals while just a few miles away only had a couple inches.

Yeah this is about as good as you can get for OES contribution realistically in E MA without having the flow a bit more aligned vertically....the BL is so darn cold though that we don't need the flow that high up to get dendritic growth. I was saying yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if by afternoon that some spots along the shore had pretty decent totals while just a few miles away only had a couple inches.

Wouldn't surprise me at all either.

What stations on the Cape would be used to verify a blizzard? HYA and what else?

Tim Kelly's call might have been a good one

It's also possible to verify through impacts, if enough people call and report whiteout conditions. You would generally like to see some automated stations in the area consistently at 35 mph and 1/4SM though.

It's also possible to verify through impacts, if enough people call and report whiteout conditions. You would generally like to see some automated stations in the area consistently at 35 mph and 1/4SM though.

Too bad those conditions will be overnight. Fewer people up to verify. That is one thing we don't have to think about much here in the interior

You coastal folks will have fun. I hope BOS gets a blizzard

Too bad those conditions will be overnight. Fewer people up to verify. That is one thing we don't have to think about much here in the interior

You coastal folks will have fun. I hope BOS gets a blizzard

It's going to be close. GFS says yes, NAM just below, Euro yesterday said yes. For us, PSM, SFM, PWM, RKD are all already gusting to the low 20s. What will they be doing tonight?

Here;s one it seems

20 to 1 ratio of snow to water. RT @PeterK_J: at 7 am in Brighton we had 1.0 inch of snow and 0.05 inch of precip

Again, it will be possible for periods during the event, but not the entire duration. I'm just making sure the weenies don't get their hopes up by doubling and tripling their QPF to snow numbers.

Archived