Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think many were worried aside from Pickles who was worried about CT

I was worried about CT getting less than 6"...it still might happen but the latest runs look a bit better for tonight so it should get there. Best looks to be near RI border.

I don't think many were worried aside from Pickles who was worried about CT

I was worried about CT getting less than 6"...it still might happen but the latest runs look a bit better for tonight so it should get there. Best looks to be near RI border.

This map is what happens when you forget to divide when averaging model qpf numbers...

if you read his discussion..it's based on the higher than normal snow ratios..if ratios were 10:1 it would be 8-12 with modeled qpf..so with higher ratios he's going for higher totals. 

It makes sense..but that doesn't mean that every single place is going to get that amount as you know

It makes sense..but that doesn't mean that every single place is going to get that amount as you know

But isn't that the point of a range? It's not a forecast of jackpot amounts...the range should include what you think those folks will get. A few spot 12-14" amounts in CT doesn't mean he verifies.

This is where the probabilistic forecasts are good...you've got a near 100% chance of 6" but a 25% chance of 12". It lets you know where you stand...expect 6" but may have a shot at lollipops of 12"+.

But isn't that the point of a range? It's not a forecast of jackpot amounts...the range should include what you think those folks will get. A few spot 12-14" amounts in CT doesn't mean he verifies.

This is where the probabilistic forecasts are good...you've got a near 100% chance of 6" but a 25% chance of 12". It lets you know where you stand...expect 6" but may have a shot at lollipops of 12"+.

It seems to me the idea of issuing a range over a large area is that in general the majority of areas/towns in said area is expected to get that amount. So if  80% or whatever # you want to use of the towns in CT /Mass or wherever get 12-16..then that's a successful forecast

I think that's on the high end. I will say his area has the best chance.

Dusting across the southern half of the state and 1-3" north will even out tonight when the coast gets more qpf with the coastal.

Now casting I think 6-10" with lollis to 12" seems reasonable. Banding is hard to predict.

I think that's on the high end. I will say his area has the best chance.

Dusting across the southern half of the state and 1-3" north will even out tonight when the coast gets more qpf with the coastal.

Now casting I think 6-10" with lollis to 12" seems reasonable. Banding is hard to predict.

6-12" widespread was my call yesterday with 12-18" possible coastal areas from BOS south. Looks fine.

It seems to me the idea of issuing a range over a large area is that in general the majority of areas/towns in said area is expected to get that amount. So if 80% or whatever # you want to use of the towns in CT /Mass or wherever get 12-16..then that's a successful forecast

Yeah I'd agree with that...80% seems like a good level to look for 12+ on the PNS statement tomorrow to verify DT forecast.

Archived