amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the 0z GFS is right with the bombing mid levels so that the wealth gets spread to all. Either way I'm feeling good for 10"+ imby with jackpots just to my SE.

Fwiw check out the sref snow probs on ewall for 3z, they really outline the CT screw zone and it definitely seems centered around NE CT. I hope it's wrong but it's showing up on a lot of guidance.

Why did the entire state of Mass. close schools today for 1-3 inches of snow?

Ct schools doing it right and going to school with an early dismissal. 

Can't Mass DOt handle a few inches of powdery snow?

Well, there's no lull forecasted for up here.  And, I didn't say that we should have schools closed, though I understand why they are with 3-5" anticipated by the end of the day.  My comment with respect to Somers (I didnt' realize it was a state-wide thing) was tied to the fact that conditions are good during the lull--so if you're getting them there, why not keep them there.

Anyway--silly argument.  Enjoy the snow.

6-8" or bust.

They're still licking their wounds from 12/17. Besides, guidance has it pretty steady in eastern areas with ocean enhancement later and you can already see it developing on radar. But yes...today is overkill. We got the automated message last night....no school till Monday. Within seconds I went upstairs to tell my daughter but she already knew. Texting.

We picked her and 3 friends up from a nye party around 12:30am Tuesday night and they pressed me about school vis a vis snow. My comment was that I thought they'd cancel Thursday and Friday because it's easier to reset Monday and I bet that went into the decision.

Pretty cool map the way they blend it

WINTER STORM UPDATE! Widespread 12+" forecast over much of Northeast! #Snow #Blizzard #Hercules pic.twitter.com/ihL01PJepu

It may be neat, but if it's showing me--and most central/western areas of mass getting more than eastern areas (and I think that's what it's showing) I'm guessing it's wrong.

Not even gonna need an early dismissal here...main show doesn't start until after 5pm. But there were a few schools down here that closed...North Stonington, New Britain, Southigton...all for <0.5". Not sure where they got their forecast.

I've been thinking 4-8" all along for CT...still looking good. SW areas may end up on the low end...especially with the WAA underperforming.

Not even gonna need an early dismissal here...main show doesn't start until after 5pm. But there were a few schools down here that closed...North Stonington, New Britain, Southigton...all for <0.5". Not sure where they got their forecast. I've been thinking 4-8" all along for CT...still looking good. SW areas may end up on the low end...especially with the WAA underperforming.

Pretty sure most closed because they knew they'd most likely close Friday and didn't see point in heating up buildings for one day. Might as well close up and start strong on Monday.. Maybe...

Not even gonna need an early dismissal here...main show doesn't start until after 5pm. But there were a few schools down here that closed...North Stonington, New Britain, Southigton...all for <0.5". Not sure where they got their forecast. I've been thinking 4-8" all along for CT...still looking good. SW areas may end up on the low end...especially with the WAA underperforming.

If anything, delayed opening would make more sense than early dismissal.  Unless things redevelop, it looks like the lull will reach up here---and not ramp up too much later on as I'll be so far from the coastal.  Thinking the lower end of my 6-8 range when all is said and done as I think the overrunning will be underperforming here.

You must have missed the school closing list in NBC CT.  Tons of schools closed. Not here, but many, many closings.

My kids wish this were the case, but it's not. Western suburbs of Boston almost all open, all day (Brookline, Dover, Framingham, Hopkinton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Sherborn, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, Westwood).

Archived