amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just had a met from GYNX tell me today that wiping was fine....as long as its not more frequently than 6 hour intervals.

yea from what i just read in there only ones they want to clear are first order stations. makes no sense why they allow some but not others? heres the link to famartins thread

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41853-new-nws-snow-measurement-guide/

nothing is dude, going to have to watch it evolve, you are golden its us interior kids that are on the edge of going from moderate to something much more interesting.

I'm in line for a solid early January snow here, but I may miss the heaviest OES banding which is likely to occur NW of here in that normal stripe from Weymouth/Braintree down to Easton/Sharon/Mansfield/Foxboro Brockton etc.

new nws guidelines dont want you to clear the board anymore, basically just want snowdepth

WOOOAH WOAH WOAH WOOOO HO HOOOO. The NWS Chaaaaanged their rules? This would be life changing for me. Litterally. I fully believe that swiping the board every 6 hours is the right way to do it. Is fair to the snow. And it's a Right of Passage for The Real weather people vs. the standard people that just think whatever is on the grounds is on the ground.

I could go on for hours on this. They better have not changed it cause we should not change.

compared to the other models I guess you could say it has been more consistent

HA, excellent point.  In that regard it's been pretty good.  If we were to trace the 1" QPF line...it's barely moving run to run, it's the .75" that's bouncing.  Crude measure I know but it's telling to the model bouncing the dynamics around for the interior folks.

When it gets right down to go-time, the model with the greatest resolution is your own, in-house climo model.

The models construct the situation, and we can apply that to are own internal databases of past experiences.

Attleboro is a little too removed from the ocean....Situate is right on the ocean, and therefore unable to reap the benefits of that slight incline that is representative of the s shore topography.

I like the S Weymouth, Holbrook, Avon, Stoughton, Brockton, Abington, Whitman, Rockland circle for jack pot potential.

Positioned optimally to maximize fetch of the Atl, yet avail of the very same orographic phenomenon that the TUG does in LE events, though on a much smaller scale.

On the N shore, the topography is a non issue, so the KBEV, Peabody, Danvers, Salem circle is likely to prevail in the battle for local supremacy.

I suspect the reason being is that further out on the peninsula, the Manchester-by-the-sea, Gloucester, Rockport contigent is just a little too exposed to maximize the oceanic contributions, and further n, up toward Rowley, Ipswich, Newbury, Newburyport,, and Salisbury etc, they don't have quite as efficient a fetch off of the ocean due to the angle of the Maine coastline.

In and around the immediate Boston metro portion of the coast line, from Lynn, down through the n half of Braintree, I suspect the angle of the fetch to not be optimal, however that is admittedly speculative on my part.

Just some arbitrary analysis derived from my own experience of which precise spots should be favored in cold events, with oes contributions.

Ultimately time will tell and I shall adjust accordingly for future considerations.

Riding that call out.

could be broad brushed a bit.

then again, it's not like this is pure OES storm. 

A general .35 to .6 across the areas in "blue" on tonights GFS run seems reasonable back from the coast.  Normally around this range the GFS is overdone and I think that's the case here.  Ratios should make up some of the normal difference.

WOOOAH WOAH WOAH WOOOO HO HOOOO. The NWS Chaaaaanged their rules? This would be life changing for me. Litterally. I fully believe that swiping the board every 6 hours is the right way to do it. Is fair to the snow. And it's a Right of Passage for The Real weather people vs. the standard people that just think whatever is on the grounds is on the ground.

I could go on for hours on this. They better have not changed it cause we should not change.

Take a pill.

yeah I have been 8-10 but I still see an upside happening.

I think that upside down this way is going to be hard to come by since the overrunning will be sort of meh south of the Pike.

Generally to get double digits in SNE I like to see 2 mechanisms to help get us there.... i.e. overrunning and comma head/cold conveyorbelt or ocean enhancement + CCB etc. 

It's hard to get 10"+ when you're solely relying on the developing comma head or you're just relying on a strong thump of warm advection snows in a SWFE. 

Archived