joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I've been realizing that. I'll talk to Allan about it...48hr too.

Cool...makes it hard at times to compare...IE it looks less impressive than it is in some cases.

I'm kinda surprised how many people are going with > 10" amounts for a large chunk of the region. Yes we should have decent snowfall ratios, but you still need decent frontogenesis to really rev up the omega into the snow growth region aloft. It starts with lift, and if there isn't any or its limited at best, you can be as cold as you want and not much will happen :-/ 

Now obviously its too early to sound the alarm yet, but I like to use the hourly mesoscale guidance to get a feel for how things are lining up in comparison to the global models to see if there are significant deviations.

Thus far it looks like the major deviation is that the initial frontogenetical forcing expected for tonight is largely absent or diminished. This has implications not only for the short term WAA induced snowfall, but also how likely the coastal cyclone will ramp up, as a stronger temperature gradient traditionally aids in more robust surface cyclogenesis.

Phil I'm not willing to go that far yet I was mainly commenting on the fact that there are schools already closed through Monday before the first flake fell.  Ridiculous IMO for a storm that may largely produce 6 to 10" or so over many, many hours in some parts of New England. 

I've never understood the whole school closing before a flake has fallen. Wake up at 4am and assess then. Why waste snowdays especially early int the season?

As a parent, it does make our lives a bit easier. Arrange daycare or juggle work stuff. As a teacher, I am psyched. Although it just prolongs the year. Our district was a comedy if errors calling off this one though

The weather channel has shown the 12-18 since yesterday for Mass...not sure what run they base that prediction on...But again they are riding this hercules name like there's no tomorrow..NOAA doesn't name Winter Storms...what ever makes their weather ballon float.

OT but It doesn't help that some local stations also name them with different names.  We're not talking about a storm on the level of a tropical system and I don't think there's any real criteria as to which events get named and which ones do not.  This looks like a pedestrian event save for the temps but media outlets will do what they need to in order to drive viewers.

No, just on the RPM fetish as it has its many issues...I never disagreed that you are thnking 8" for your backyard.

I wasn't endorsing the model in general, I just feel as though in this particular instance, it has a good handle on the mesoscale aspects in e MA.

That's it.

You agree that the JMA correctly signaled 2/06...has it been your go-to model since?

Every dog has its day.

Archived