joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray if these waa snows dont produce more than 2-3/4 this event looks pedestrian outisde cape Ann/route 1 corridor and se mass /cape imo. And when i say predestination i mean under warning totals.

We need big amounts from WAA and it needs to produce , i have only heard phil sound alarm on this looking weaker but ...meh this storm is sort of a mess.

That lead vort w precip blossoming off se coast pushing best barcolinity off shore doesnt inspire much confidence in me of much of a coastal.

:lol:

I got ripped a new one for suggesting that I may only see 8".

Well snow will start falling in shortly (flurries already) in western areas, so it's pretty close.

I think that was an hour 18 image though. Sort of the equivalent to late hour nam. I just wouldn't worry yet. 

I'll continue to through caution flags for portions of the western interior specifically portions of CT. Coastal enhancement should keep things going during the duration for the East. 

NECN? Not a fan of the single numbers. Is that the low/high/average in those areas? From a pure contouring, I don't mind it.

Never understood why NECN refuses to employ ranges...so dumb.

I always interpreted it as "up to x inches of snow".  That way they can never say they busted badly because they never set a minimum amount.

I like the single numbers if they're the average expected accumulation +/- an inch or two, but if that's the case narrow ranges would work just as well and probably not confuse the public as much.

Maybe I can help.  Matt prefers to put single numbers on his maps that represent what he feels is a realistic expectation for what is going to happen. So I guess in a way it is an average. He told me that past experience has shown him that most viewers only recognize the number at the top of the forecast range.  So to fix this problem he went to single number forecasts believing that even though his forecast was a single number people would still be able to recognize it as really x +- 1 or 2.

Maybe I can help.  Matt prefers to put single numbers on his maps that represent what he feels is a realistic expectation for what is going to happen. So I guess in a way it is an average. He told me that past experience has shown him that most viewers only recognize the number at the top of the forecast range.  So to fix this problem he went to single number forecasts believing that even though his forecast was a single number people would still be able to recognize it as really x +- 1 or 2.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Only thing is that NECN has always done that, long before he got there.

As long as I can remember.

This has just never struck me as a region-wide 1' type of deal.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but just some advice.....don't ever hold back in far of criticism.

Who cares.

Haha yea, thanks. Not sure why there was criticism on Bruchards map earlier, for once I agree with him. He even mentioned if anything he would expect some smaller 6" or 7" totals amid the general 8-10", only seemed excited for SE Mass.

This forum died, it seems. Is it just time to feed the kids, or is the storm a no-go?

Patrick there's not much to talk about really.  SREF and even the HRRR/RAP are unreliable at the given ranges.  Basically most of us are just watching and waiting.

It is an interesting look right now at 0z so I do not expect this to be smooth forecast sailing and I'll leave it at that for now.  :)

Whatever the makeup of the individual members the GEFS mean shifted the last 3 or so runs SE, now the SREFs too.  To me it looks as though a lot of what falls is going to be driven by the OE type processes down this way. 

I expressed concern yesterday the WAA was not gonna work out as well as many hoped...the first hint of that was the 12Z SPC WRF today which was putrid on the SIM radar echoes with it for tomorrow and I have been following the HRR for hours and it does not look good nor does the RAP...it seems with these systems that dying low or inland vort tends to either die way before or later than modeled and the trends for the last day or so were for it to hit the crapper earlier which would mean less of a vort back west and hence less WAA

Archived