joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOX 4:39p re: Blizzard Warning... still plenty of time to pull the trigger if necessary by Thursday AM (and I'm guessing OKX went ahead with less lead time...? though as I posted above, not sure they'll verify):

We thought a lot about issuing blizzard watches and warnings. At

this time we think that the full criteria for a blizzard will not

be met...but it is very close. As such will upgrade the Winter

Storm Watch to winter storm warnings and continue to mention

near-blizzard conditions at times. The greatest threat will be

along the immediate East Coast of Massachusetts...as well as the coastal

plain of southeast Massachusetts. Later shifts can reevaluate as we get

closer to this event. 

I agreed with just keeping WSW, then relay on heavy wording for the other.  Still too many holes in the plot at this point in time.

Definitely still seeing the blizzard potential for eastern areas. Late Thursday and Friday the GFS and Euro were mixing down 30-35 knot gusts for BOS up through PWM. That's pretty much what I put and what BOX has in the grids.

This light, dry snow should blow and drift easily. A lot of the reduced visibilities may be with blowing rather than falling snow.

I agreed with just keeping WSW, then relay on heavy wording for the other.  Still too many holes in the plot at this point in time.

We're in full agreement.

My question was about the bilzzard warning over Long Island. Blowing snow / snowfall intensity / winds aren't progged to be any less intense in southeast MA Friday morning.

Wish there was more wiggle room for suspense tonight. As you posted, would be exciting if the lobes of energy off the southeast coast are over-modeled.

TWC still going with a huge swath of 12-18 across upstate NY / most SNE... I think they're drawing alot more out of the initial WAA.

Expectations set low, I think I get screwed on both ends of this storm. Subsidence and just west of any ocean enhancement. 6-8" final call. Prolly same total for Thornton, lol

I see that up here as well.  Even tho the RPM is sometimes off.  It has kept the lower totals in our area, consistently every run, for the last 24-36 hours.

Waa will produce 3-5 imby IMHO. Then 8-10 Thursday night early Friday.

Harvey + Jerry combo is hard to deny.

Agree for our hood.

Was hoping the 0z-6z New Year's model trends would continue thru the day (briefly closed H5 low on 6z Nam, different beast entirely!) but the window for suspense is closing.

I'd go 5-8 for the river valley in CT, leaning toward the low side.  I'd love to be wrong, but I'm guessing that we only get an inch or two from the overrunning, and we just get clipped with three or four inches from the coastal after a lull.  Still should be an impressive storm.

OKX is much more bullish, though, with 8-10+.   I'm almost always wrong when I don't line up with those guys.

I'd go 5-8 for the river valley in CT, leaning toward the low side.  I'd love to be wrong, but I'm guessing that we only get an inch or two from the overrunning, and we just get clipped with three or four inches from the coastal after a lull.  Still should be an impressive storm.

OKX is much more bullish, though, with 8-10+.   I'm almost always wrong when I don't line up with those guys.

That sounds reasonable to me. I'm expecting 6 of 7" in many towns... a few in the hills wind up closer to 9 or 10"

Archived