joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z NAM gives 1.25" liquid over central LI.  Can I book it?

Tricky thing is we are getting closer to range when we can trust it, or is that just wishful thinking?

This is probably going to get tweeked around yet again over the next couple of cycles.  There's just so much immense complexity in dealing with such a fast overall, progressive flow, and then having a strong S/W passing through it. 

Lol 12-16 for SW CT?

FWIW, DT isn't pulling his forecast out of thin air. He presents a pretty detailed write-up defending his bullish forecast. Here's the part of about eastern areas (i love how he calls our geography blessed, lol) But if you read through he also discusses why he thinks SW CT will do well.

I think he's a bit overdone, but we'll see how it goes.

Over Eastern New England including the eastern half of Connecticut.... central Eastern Massachusetts ....and all Rhode island your blessed geography is going to allow this area  to get a major  snowstorm.  As I said yesterday I believe that the area from Boston down towards Cape Cod is going to see close to 2 feet of snow.   The   12z GFS  ensemble now has the  1.25- 1.50" band of precipitation over southeastern mass/ Cape Cod  and   1.0 to 1.25"  covering all of Boston and Rhode Island.  Just do the math and assume a 15 or 20  to 1 ratio. ...  1.25 at 10:1  is 12-13" of snow   but at 20:1   its   2 feet.  I don't know of anybody else in New England is calling for that amount of for southeastern  Mass snow  but this doesn't seem to me to be a particularly  difficult or outrageous   call to make.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wxriskcom/1st-call-map-and-discussion-/627146927332569

FWIW, DT isn't pulling his forecast out of thin air. He presents a pretty detailed write-up defending his bullish forecast. Here's the part of about eastern areas (i love how he calls our geography blessed, lol) But if you read through he also discusses why he thinks SW CT will do well.

I think he's a bit overdone, but we'll see how it goes.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wxriskcom/1st-call-map-and-discussion-/627146927332569

I always knew e CT was ene

As others have mentioned...I think tomorrow will be a frustrating day for those of us in CT...especially the valley and southern counties. I see the initial burst of WAA snows maybe dropping a quick 0.5-1" of snow early AM then getting sucker holed rest of the day while areas near the Pike maintain the steadier light snows. Will be a long day waiting for the coastal to finally take over tomorrow evening and fill us back in. And while DTs map overdoes it...I don't think we'd need that big of a shift to get some of the better banding into CT. While I wouldn't bank on it...12-14" totals wouldn't be out of reach if that were to happen. 18z NAM almost does it...but of course nothing else really backs it up. As for now, I think 4-8" is reasonable for CT with some spot 10" amounts in the hills.

Side note...anyone else having issues with the Euro on wunderground? Hasn't updated for me since 12z yesterday. Hope their not dropping it.

Kevin has succeed in derailing this thread... 

Now back to topic...  These isentropic lift scenarios can sometimes beat modeled timing... Now-cast off looking at the NWS rad mosaic and looping it that we could actually have light snow/flurries in the air during the night, tonight. 

NatLoop.gif

18z NAM gives 1.25" liquid over central LI.  Can I book it?

Tricky thing is we are getting closer to range when we can trust it, or is that just wishful thinking?

If you look at NAM's simulated radar, you will see that we get nailed with a Norlun-ish jackpot band near the end.  That would be extraordinary good luck for us if that verifies.

post-837-0-41964200-1388610225_thumb.gif

Ed some SF maps have a JP's along the NorthShore (LOL) for the whole length of the island. Sound enhancement FTW!  

I was looking at the 18Z NAM soundings related to that early in the event (12z Thurs).  We'll have an ene wind early on with water temps around +6c, surface around 0 to -1 and 925s around -6.  850's are a bit warm (-3), not to mention from the south at that time, but I think that may keep it at least spitting some plates or needles here tomorrow AM even if the overrunning is to the north. ENE is actually a pretty good fetch around here...and a fairly rare direction with favorable uppers.

Oh, and happy New Year Don!

Archived