• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

I think you'll get a wide variety of reports due to the long duration nature if the event, the cold temps promoting fluff that settles, especially in wind, and how the measurements are taken.

Some spots that are forecast to get 0.5-0.75" QPF do so without ever getting a 6-hour period to exceed 0.1-0.25" QPF. It's like 5 six hour periods of 0.15" QPF and so measuring and clearing every 6 hours may give you a value that's like 30-50% higher than what's on the ground come Friday afternoon (ie 9" snowfall, 6" depth).

Yeah a straight depth measurement on Friday morning would lead to heavy heavy disappointment.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Par the course for season characterized by progressive flow.

That's what I was thinking...fast flow and the models have no idea. It just sucks because you think one model has a very reasonable solution, then 6 hours later it's completely different and another model flips the opposite way. Even the ensembles have been all over the place.

I think you'll get a wide variety of reports due to the long duration nature if the event, the cold temps promoting fluff that settles, especially in wind, and how the measurements are taken.

Some spots that are forecast to get 0.5-0.75" QPF do so without ever getting a 6-hour period to exceed 0.1-0.25" QPF. It's like 5 six hour periods of 0.15" QPF and so measuring and clearing every 6 hours may give you a value that's like 30-50% higher than what's on the ground come Friday afternoon (ie 9" snowfall, 6" depth).

new nws guidelines dont want you to clear the board anymore, basically just want snowdepth

Archived