amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the NAM, it looks like most forecasted ranges can be hit. 

I usually like to see the NAM at this point showing something like 150% of forecasted ranges...due its wet bias. I still think this is not a widespread double digit event outside of the E coast of MA...there will be lollis to 10"+ NW of I-95, but I'm not convinced that there won't also be a lot of zones of 5-7" too.

Not exactly an exciting storm here. More like watching paint dry. But over 36 hours we'll creep our way to 8-12 inches of fluff I guess.  36 hrs of mostly -SN.

I'm at the old place now 38 miles below Albany...where I have a small house I rent out now....  -SN has begun here and 23F.

right there with you, Rick.  Pretty boring.  I suppose if we can get the breeze to blow some flakes around, we can pretend it's snowing harder than it actually is.  Thank goodness for the WAA snows.

I usually like to see the NAM at this point showing something like 150% of forecasted ranges...due its wet bias. I still think this is not a widespread double digit event outside of the E coast of MA...there will be lollis to 10"+ NW of I-95, but I'm not convinced that there won't also be a lot of zones of 5-7" too.

So you actually agree with me.

Miscommunication...I'm not an RPM hugger....just like it in this particular event.

I think all but one or two ranges begin in single digits.  Most with floors of 5-8 I believe.

So you actually agree with me.

Miscommunication...I'm not a RPM hugger....just like it in this particular event.

Well I'm not convinced it is right in this event either with all the monstrous topo features...though perhaps right near your BY, it could be ok. I'm just not a huge fan of using it in general. Sometimes it can give an idea of where the jackpots might be.

right there with you, Rick.  Pretty boring.  I suppose if we can get the breeze to blow some flakes around, we can pretend it's snowing harder than it actually is.  Thank goodness for the WAA snows.

I think the thing I'm most excited about is the chance for some synoptic below 0F snows that aren't SWFE related.

I think the thing I'm most excited about is the chance for some synoptic below 0F snows that aren't SWFE related.

CCB snows near or below 0F are reserved for places like Labrador. Pretty cool stuff that might happen late tomorrow night or early Fri morning.

But at least around here, aside from the one very wet run yesterday, the NAM hasn't been wetter than most other models which is kind of uncharacteristic.

Well I'm not convinced it is right in this event either with all the monstrous topo features...though perhaps right near your BY, it could be ok. I'm just not a huge fan of using it in general. Sometimes it can give an idea of where the jackpots might be.

48 hour QPF lines up well with the 18z GEFS mean.  I think it's in the right ballpark we just need to watch now for tweaks and tucks.

I think you'll get a wide variety of reports due to the long duration nature if the event, the cold temps promoting fluff that settles, especially in wind, and how the measurements are taken.

Some spots that are forecast to get 0.5-0.75" QPF do so without ever getting a 6-hour period to exceed 0.1-0.25" QPF. It's like 5 six hour periods of 0.15" QPF and so measuring and clearing every 6 hours may give you a value that's like 30-50% higher than what's on the ground come Friday afternoon (ie 9" snowfall, 6" depth).

I think you'll get a wide variety of reports due to the long duration nature if the event, the cold temps promoting fluff that settles, especially in wind, and how the measurements are taken.

Some spots that are forecast to get 0.5-0.75" QPF do so without ever getting a 6-hour period to exceed 0.1-0.25" QPF. It's like 5 six hour periods of 0.15" QPF and so measuring and clearing every 6 hours may give you a value that's like 30-50% higher than what's on the ground come Friday afternoon.

I hate events like that.

This is going to be one of DT's worst performances ever.

So I'm guessing we clear after the WAA snows taper and before the main show hits?

I don't think anyone clears...we don't get the dryslot so we should maintain some -SN from the WAA right into the redeveloping secondary. The main show for us should be the WAA tomorrow though.

I don't think anyone clears...we don't get the dryslot so we should maintain some -SN from the WAA right into the redeveloping secondary. The main show for us should be the WAA tomorrow though.

Lol yeah I know I was talking about measuring. Should've been more clear.

I hate events like that.

This is going to be one of DT's worst performances ever.

Yeah his amounts are ridiculously high.

Hopefully we get some more widespread areas of 0.25"+ QPF in those 6-hour blocks, as that's really when you get into the more sustained 0.5-1"/hr snows. But snow is snow so even long duration light snow events are much better than nothing at all.

Archived