• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

Patrick there's not much to talk about really. SREF and even the HRRR/RAP are unreliable at the given ranges. Basically most of us are just watching and waiting.

It is an interesting look right now at 0z so I do not expect this to be smooth forecast sailing and I'll leave it at that for now. :)

Ok. So I guess I'm going to take my Great Pyrenees for a walk.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I can help. Matt prefers to put single numbers on his maps that represent what he feels is a realistic expectation for what is going to happen. So I guess in a way it is an average. He told me that past experience has shown him that most viewers only recognize the number at the top of the forecast range. So to fix this problem he went to single number forecasts believing that even though his forecast was a single number people would still be able to recognize it as really x +- 1 or 2.

That makes a lot of sense...i always just take their numbers and think about it as the average of a given range. If it says 12" and NWS has 10-14", they are the exact same forecast. But people will focus on the 14 in the NOAA forecast.

I expressed concern yesterday the WAA was not gonna work out as well as many hoped...the first hint of that was the 12Z SPC WRF today which was putrid on the SIM radar echoes with it for tomorrow and I have been following the HRR for hours and it does not look good nor does the RAP...it seems with these systems that dying low or inland vort tends to either die way before or later than modeled and the trends for the last day or so were for it to hit the crapper earlier which would mean less of a vort back west and hence less WAA

I stayed out of the WAA conversations, didn't interest me then nor does it now.  Should contribute some, but  we will have to see how much.  The RAP and others show that first weak wave moving by towards 12-15z and at that point the OES type contributions start.  Could be a snowy situation in east coastal sections but where it sets up is a big question. 

I'm amazed so many schools are already closed for Thursday. Looks meager tonight. Strong hints of oes getting involved even by this panel though. We will have to see how that goes overnight

I'm kinda surprised how many people are going with > 10" amounts for a large chunk of the region. Yes we should have decent snowfall ratios, but you still need decent frontogenesis to really rev up the omega into the snow growth region aloft. It starts with lift, and if there isn't any or its limited at best, you can be as cold as you want and not much will happen :-/ 

Now obviously its too early to sound the alarm yet, but I like to use the hourly mesoscale guidance to get a feel for how things are lining up in comparison to the global models to see if there are significant deviations.

Thus far it looks like the major deviation is that the initial frontogenetical forcing expected for tonight is largely absent or diminished. This has implications not only for the short term WAA induced snowfall, but also how much the coastal cyclone will ramp up, as a stronger temperature gradient traditionally aids in more robust surface cyclogenesis.

Some of that esp by morning is OES contribution I think too.

Off Topic but the premium NAM products on this site really need an accumulated 6 and 12 hour precip total.

21 hours shows that well with continued decent snow in eastern areas ORH and east and up and down the coast including the cape as well a lower nh/vt with less in ct.

Archived