• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 2-3 Big Snow Threat , Part 3

weathafella

So there's been a good amount of talk on the upper level temps, but have we ruled out ratios above 10:1?

Going by Bufkit, at BOS the warm nose is a little too warm tonight and tomorrow for extreme ratios. But Friday they look to be 200-300 mb deep snow growth zone. That should be some high ratio fluff.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the look for the Rt 2 corridor into adjacent S VT and S NH

I buy a 10-16" range or something in N MA and adjacent S VT and S NH. 

Sitting between Rt 2 and VT makes me feel pretty good--I've been eyeing that WAA element as the one seemingly consistent element to this for many runs.  The fact that it's been so steady has me concerned that it will suddenly disappear--lol.  But, unless something crazy happens where the coastal suddenly amps up closer,  I'm thinking that whatever it can spew out up this way will be a bonus deal to the overrunning.

Almost too good to be true, been 8 years since I've seen anything as favorable

If someone gets a 14-18" lolli...its going to be somewhere that gets OES enhancement I think...it could be one of those storms where a jackpot spot gets 8" more than a spot within 20 miles. North Shore looks good too for a time before the BL goes more northerly.

You figure sloped ascent, that really favors the area just along and N of the MA border.

Yup - the direct circulation sets up on the warm side of the best frontogenesis but as you mentioned slopes toward the cold air... so that's a pretty good chunk of real estate getting decent snows especially considering how cold the column will be (good, effiicient dendrite production). 

East areas are getting hit pretty good on all models. I think where it is going to become rather interesting is central mass down through Connecticut. I think those areas are a bit more precarious. They may miss some WAA Snows, and then may be too far west to really get into the coastal.

That analysis could be wrong, but it just seems that way

Sometimes.. Just sometimes .. Weenies know a little bit

Whoever accused them of not knowing a little bit?

I'm trying to be the voice of reason that says ratios are a moving target (not to mention a very tough thing to predict). You will get periods of extreme ratio snowfall in this event, but you'll also get rather average ratios at times.

24 hours of 20:1 this is not.

East areas are getting hit pretty good on all models. I think where it is going to become rather interesting is central mass down through Connecticut. I think those areas are a bit more precarious. They may miss some WAA Snows, and then may be too far west to really get into the coastal.

That analysis could be wrong, but it just seems that way

I could see W ORH county and into CT River valley getting a bit of screwjie if the WAA snows lift north and then the other stuff is mostly along the east slope and eastern MA. Too early to tell though right now.

Whoever accused them of not knowing a little bit?

I'm trying to be the voice of reason that says ratios are a moving target (not to mention a very tough thing to predict). You will get periods of extreme ratio snowfall in this event, but you'll also get rather average ratios at times.

24 hours of 20:1 this is not.

Winds along the coast should hamper ratios too, I'd think.  Wind ripping away at the dendrites.

Yup - the direct circulation sets up on the warm side of the best frontogenesis but as you mentioned slopes toward the cold air... so that's a pretty good chunk of real estate getting decent snows especially considering how cold the column will be (good, effiicient dendrite production). 

NAM keeps CON around 200 to 300 mb deep DGZ throughout the event, GFS is a little warmer for parts of the day tomorrow but close. That truly could be wall to wall 20:1 or more stuff. NAM basically does that, with around 8" of snow from 0.40" QPF.

Archived