wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
May 2013 Obs/Banter/Complaining/Sarcasm

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you seeing that? I'm not seeing it.

Just basing it off of various looks of ridging centered off the se coast in the 7-10 day range and pretty strong sw ul and surface flow. It's that time of year too. I could be totally wrong and hopefully so but I have a hunch we're gonna get some hot days and if the ridge has an anchor it could stick for a bit.

I typically don't pay a lot of attention to the lr outside of winter but I've picked up on some things this year. Especially with the gfs. When it keeps showing the same general idea at h5 at least once a day in the lr odds seem to favor it actually happening. This cool shot was modeled 10 days in advance. So was the cutoff. If we do get the troughing out west that Ian is dying for then it's safe to assume that a nice ridge sets up down stream. Haven't seen any hints at a backdoor coming down. Jet is looking to stay up well north of the Canadian border after the current airmass moves out.

Next Monday looks like it would be hot/humid, but with a good chance of thunderstorms and maybe even "severe" that day, not sure we hit the 90s.

It's just a hunch honestly. Looking at the fairly strong sw flow that keeps showing up and considering the time of year I think it would = low 90's even if the models aren't showing it yet. We overperform with heat very well in these parts. lol

True dat...but this spring seems different so far.  Probs will depend on how much sun we get those couple days.  

I think the period from late next week trough the end of the month is going to bake us a little. Good grief I hope I'm wrong but all good things have to come to an end. After the heat and fropa next week it looks prime to warm up. Globals are trying to dig another trough down to our latitude sometime mid-late next week but I think it's going to miss N because of a the potential for a dominant western trough. 

This should stoke ian's fire a little. 

^^

12z gfs says I'm an idiot.

The GFS is not to be believed outside like day 5-7. Given the pattern of late hard to expect unabated ridging but the ensembles all like more western troughing. Kinda just shifts the trough up here north.. Or we just lakes vortex forever but I kinda doubt it given the flow is still pretty fast.

Or we just lakes vortex forever but I kinda doubt it given the flow is still pretty fast.

That's the part of the 12z run that surprised me. Sure, a flatter or more progressive flow instead of a firm se ridge seems like an easy possibility but the potential for another lakes vortex with cool dry continental air in these parts kinda surprised me. I won't complain at all from a sensible wx standpoint but I just resigned to the fact that the current airmass is the last hurrah. It still might be but heat seems to wanna be elusive. 

That's the part of the 12z run that surprised me. Sure, a flatter or more progressive flow instead of a firm se ridge seems like an easy possibility but the potential for another lakes vortex with cool dry continental air in these parts kinda surprised me. I won't complain at all from a sensible wx standpoint but I just resigned to the fact that the current airmass is the last hurrah. It still might be but heat seems to wanna be elusive. 

It fits what we've seen so certainly a possibility. The long range has been super awful lately though so who knows.  Usually you do see these patterns try to even out by flipping every now and then. I don't think we see a wholesale flip per se but I do wonder about another lengthy thing like that. We saw similar modeled for this weekend's potential event out west initially, and the vortex more or less killing it, and now that seems less likely. 

I could see a case where warmth is generally periodic mixed with some nicer intrusions of air for a while still. 

It fits what we've seen so certainly a possibility. The long range has been super awful lately though so who knows.  Usually you do see these patterns try to even out by flipping every now and then. I don't think we see a wholesale flip per se but I do wonder about another lengthy thing like that. We saw similar modeled for this weekend's potential event out west initially, and the vortex more or less killing it, and now that seems less likely. 

I could see a case where warmth is generally periodic mixed with some nicer intrusions of air for a while still. 

I think the models have done ok with our neck of the woods. Especially with fairly deep ml troughs in our parts. 

12z euro also really likes the idea of a gl vortex late next week. If that keeps showing up for a couple more days then we can almost book it. I'll root for it. A coolish mem day weekend is fine with me. 

I think the models have done ok with our neck of the woods. Especially with fairly deep ml troughs in our parts.

12z euro also really likes the idea of a gl vortex late next week. If that keeps showing up for a couple more days then we can almost book it. I'll root for it. A coolish mem day weekend is fine with me.

Amen to that last sentence. Then, if we could be saying a coolish 4th of July is fine with me ....

Maybe you'll get some 99% days.....

too bad it's subject to change of course but i like the general idea. not sure we lock into a long term EC ridge but the western troughing signal has really exploded across guidance the past few days.  the 0z gfs was dirty... oh so dirty.

Sorry, but the weather the last couple of days has been pretty terrible.  Walked by the athletic fields where kids were playing lacrosse tonight.  Everyone bundled up in coats and under blankets.  51 degrees, with a wind chill lower than that on May 13... nothing good about that.

Well, maybe to a degree. It's not like they've been showing torch and we've been getting troughed instead. Overall I think the lakes/hudson bay vortex is being overmodeled in the long range tho it's certainly apparent.  I think an overall omega block look for a while is fairly likely.  This area might end up more on the border between building warmth in the southern U.S. and the NW flow regime.  Potentially scary pattern (boom or bust chasing) but better than what it has been.  I do think there will prob be some decent heat bursts the next few weeks but no signal for sustained heat around here yet really. Is 15 below in July cold?

Is 15 below in July cold?

81/62 instead of the "normal" 96/77 sounds pretty good to me.

You guys will get into the goods but it's going to require some really good analysis and some long drives imo. Things will fire off but the favorable conditions will be on the move. Pretty boring drive between s central OK and and eastern IN. 

Sorry, but the weather the last couple of days has been pretty terrible. Walked by the athletic fields where kids were playing lacrosse tonight. Everyone bundled up in coats and under blankets. 51 degrees, with a wind chill lower than that on May 13... nothing good about that.

You're out of your mind

Sorry, but the weather the last couple of days has been pretty terrible.  Walked by the athletic fields where kids were playing lacrosse tonight.  Everyone bundled up in coats and under blankets.  51 degrees, with a wind chill lower than that on May 13... nothing good about that.

Nah. It's good and shortens the number of days of heat before September. And, it could always be worse. Negative wind chills in the NNE mountains.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

You're out of your mind

It's May 13, not March 13.  I, along with others, don't find it pleasant to be outside in low 50s temperatures on a late mid-May afternoon.  Other than the kids playing, everyone at that game had coats on.

Edit: Average high temperature for today is 76 degrees.  That is more pleasant than 56 degrees (which was our high today) with a cold NW wind.

It's May 13, not March 13. I, along with others, don't find it pleasant to be outside in low 50s temperatures on a late mid-May afternoon. Other than the kids playing, everyone at that game had coats on.

It was mid 50's here with sun, and I thought it felt great.

It was mid 50's here with sun, and I thought it felt great.

I just don't understand you guys.  The only thing I like about cold weather is snow.  Didn't bother me much when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I've found cold weather to be less and less comfortable.  That's pretty common, I think.

Archived