Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned it earlier in the thread

the GFS seems to go through a transformation around 45 hrs that can be seen on this 7H map

the dry slot nearly gets to DCA and then backs down

seems that there is a warm push at that time as well

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=gfs&area=namer&param=700_rh_ht&cycle=12ℑ=gfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_045_700_rh_ht.gif

that was not on any of the prior runs, so I don't know if that's just a blip, wobble, or trend

often play with the dry slot in the best storms. it was on our doorstep for snowmageddon.

GFS soundings for DC look mixey/rainy at 12z Wednesday, but improve back to a snowier look at 18z Wed.  Isothermal at freezing at 12z from about 880-940mb or so and then between 0-1C down to the surface.  I wouldn't worry about that too much yet since we're talking about fractions of a degree and its the first run to show it.  

850's definitely warmer.....but surface looks better.

DCA:

WED 00Z 06-MAR   0.8    -1.7    0.10       WED 06Z 06-MAR   0.6    -0.7    0.46         WED 12Z 06-MAR   1.4    -0.2    0.33        WED 18Z 06-MAR   1.2    -1.8    0.48      THU 00Z 07-MAR   1.4    -3.0    0.42        THU 06Z 07-MAR   0.5    -3.2    0.02       THU 12Z 07-MAR   0.1    -3.2    0.01      

you have this for IAD, or better yet OKV?

thanks.

Still snow, but a very wet melting low-ratio snow.  Looks like mid/upper-levels drying out, though... moistens back in at 18z.  Looks like a near-dry slot sounding 

yeah, but in this case, because temps are so marginal, it might make the diff between all snow vs. hours of mix that kills accums (relatively speaking, of course)

im not really sweating the details, tho maybe because i know it's trickier to get double digits here than further west. if we can get ~5" that would be sweet.. anything else doubly sweet.

Non-Dentritic wet snow..

Temps are crucial for the 12Z to 18Z period on Wednesday as that's when teh majority of qpf falls.

Probably right, wxmeddler.  But if that sounding verifies verbatim, we're probably dealing with a RASN mix particularly for any locations east of DC.  It was looking like we weren't going to have to worry about extreme heavy rates for snow to fall, but that would again be the case if the 900-sfc temps are that borderline.  

That's snow in nearly every imaginable situation if that occurs verbatim.  With full sun today, it will be interesting to see what we get to temp-wise.  I think the airmass overperformed a bit on cold this weekend at least.  

I agree re: interesting to see where temps in the lowest layers end up today and tomorrow.  In Clarksburg, it has been below freezing for 60 of the last 63 hours with only the 2pm-5pm hours above freezing at 33F, 34F and 33F yesterday.  Impressive for early March.  At 11:30am this morning, it's 30.6F under mostly sunny skies with an average wind of 9mph from the NNW keeping things cool and dry (DP is 18F).

Right now, I just don't see a lot of opportunity for warming below 900mb northwest of town in the 30 hours leading up to the storm unless clouds are very late to build in tomorrow.

I have never been more confused by a storm for southern VA. Virtually everyone has a different story for how this will play out here. In just the past 10 minutes I've heard and seen everything from rain to 8 inches of snow to ice to sleet to rain ending as snow to a dusting of snow to flurries....

UKMET and CGEM are both to the South at 12z.

They are south of the GFS, but both have come slightly north compared to their 00z runs. Plus, the UK has trended slightly stronger with the storm from 998mb to 996mb when it's in southeastern VA. It's also showing a more favorable solution further north too towards New England which lends a little more credit to the GFS. Honestly a middle ground between the Canadian/UKMET and GFS would be great for many in our area to have slightly colder temps and still great precip.

Archived