The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANy good frontogenesis sites? 

This is a classic for the NAM (hasn't updated for the 12z run yet):

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/banding/

The best tool is GEMPAK of course but oh well. You could just take a 700mb chart for your article, draw a few lines and say "wow" ...that should get the point across. It is such a clear deformation zone.

Well I'm just going by the H7 low track, but that site from Hart...the FSU banding site should be sweet in a couple of hours when it updates.

Here is the 850-500 RH/VV and critical thicknesses for the 12z NAM

attachicon.gifeta_42_vv.gif

attachicon.gifeta_48_vv.gif

attachicon.gifeta_51_vv.gif

attachicon.gifeta_54_vv.gif

been 3 years+ since we've seen Coastalwx post these maps in the MA forum

thanks!

It's also a combo of a sick firehose moving from ESE-WNW too..not just critical banding. At least on the NAM..but the GFS had it too.

Yeah, I was saying a few days ago what a beautiful spot this area can be when the wind direction is right. When you get strong easterly winds lifting up into the Apps like this, man it is a thing of beauty. Feb 03' was a perfect example and of course anything from 09-10 but this could possibly rank in that league.

Yeah, I was saying a few days ago what a beautiful spot this area can be when the wind direction is right. When you get strong easterly winds lifting up into the Apps like this, man it is a thing of beauty. Feb 03' was a perfect example and of course anything from 09-10 but this could possibly rank in that league.

Yeah gotta imagine the erly uplsope is going to be epic in the foothills and mtns. 

Still would like to hear the pros thoughts on the wind component.  I want a Blizzard.

I don't think we have a chance of verifying blizzard criteria (mostly due to the wind criteria within), but I could certainly forsee several hours of sustained near 20KT and gusts to 30-35KT.  Higher down toward the shore obviously.    

Think I'm going to stick with my first guess for now.  Frontogenesis and uvv looks insane with the banding.  For anyone outside of the banding, their totals might be on the very low end of my snow total ranges, or even fall an inch or two below.  But with the banding, all bets are off.  

I know it seems bullish because of temps, but I'm thinking that the dynamics and rates will easily overcome that even during the day.  Still don't think blizzard conditions will verify for many.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39568-the-march-6-storm-the-last-great-white-hope/page-41#entry2175666

Archived