wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo if the euro ens are north of op it would be nail in the coffin to post winter storm warnings confidently. You would then naturally expect another north trend in overnight euro.

You have to be curious how the rain snow line develops obviously. A place considered to be out of jackpot prestorm might luck out by being further north and west. I think as long as banding develops as modeled there will be no problem staying snow away from the normally warmer spots. An isothermal paste typhoon tip blue snow bomb might occur in spots. Significant power outages might be expected along with moderare to somewhat strong winds.

Yes, there is always the rogue band parked over northern VA and northern MD. The Euro depiction (and especially the GFS and NAM depictions) would support such a band, albeit not in the same exact spot.

1.75 for RVA and a nice flip to snow on the back end. Accumulating decently especially in more populated part of the western Metro. Oh and by the way, us folks in central Virginia apologize greatly for posting in here, we should really know that the term Mid-Atlantic is exclusive to DC/Baltimore and it's exurbs. We'll happily go back to our sub-sub forum that folks in the 703/571/301/443 have relegated us to. Cheers!

The euro is going to have one last tiny jump N at 0z. It's still having issues resolving the problem in which I pointed out late last night with the revolving s/w around the gulf of ME low. The GFS,NAM, RUC, SREF's, all the American guidance has already resolved this.

Yes, there is always the rogue band parked over northern VA and northern MD. The Euro depiction (and especially the GFS and NAM depictions) would support such a band, albeit not in the same exact spot.

The NAM fsu banding site should be updated for the NAM now. That should look quite impressive if someone wants to screenshot and post it

Well for big events I am sure you are right, but for our little piddly events down in RDU it was fairly good.  You like SREF's?

As some of our subforum modeler met's have attested to, the ARW members of the SREFs have some issues apparently.  I thought they were good the last 2-3 winters, but they haven't been great this year.  I'd say go with a GFS/Euro blend.  The HPC map Ian just posted looks pretty good to me.  

To me that looks like a couple-few hour difference in timing and virtually no difference in track.  

pretty much. the main diff is the se jog the euro has been doing. la la lock it up.

if EUro loses the SE jog, I would expect heavier qpf to make it NE than currently depicted ending up similar to GFS

THe euro does this sometimes, might be its higher resolution, I dont know, but it sometimes stalls out a system too soon.  Did it in New ENgland a month ago.  Each run has the low make it a bit further east before that weird loop, my thinking is the SE loop/jump never actually happens.   

We should probably step away from overanalyzing bl temp stuff a little bit. Gfs threw a thermal curve so it will be interesting to see what the next couple runs do with the trend.

Current airmass is very dry and cold for this time of year. We can use actual obs and balloon data along with short range models to make common sense decisions tomorrow. Warmth shouldn't be deep. Wetbulb temps leading into precip is an important part of nowcasting. Every degree means a lot this time.

I know many know this already. Figured I'd say something before euro temps get drilled on.

Archived