• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

We should probably step away from overanalyzing bl temp stuff a little bit. Gfs threw a thermal curve so it will be interesting to see what the next couple runs do with the trend.

Current airmass is very dry and cold for this time of year. We can use actual obs and balloon data along with short range models to make common sense decisions tomorrow. Warmth shouldn't be deep. Wetbulb temps leading into precip is an important part of nowcasting. Every degree means a lot this time.

I know many know this already. Figured I'd say something before euro temps get drilled on.

it really is...even with the sun shining today, it's still brisk for this time of year.  tomorrow looks like the calm before the storm so it may not be quite as chilly out, but nice that we're not preceding this event with mid 50 temps and warm ground.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for comparison, here are the precip totals and snow totals from 1/26/11, including the rain portion before the changeover and the early morning slop:

DCA- 1.52", 5.0"

BWI- 1.82", 7.6"

IAD- 1.31", 7.3"

I think in DC at least like .6" was all rain/some sleet before the changeover.

He's overdone in SW VA...

up here his call is probably near the perfect scenario if you like snow in the metro are. it's not crazy but probably better to hedge a bit at this pt.

I am lucky to work for a great met like for Eric. He definitely knows what he's doing. His 30 years working the weather in the south central PA shows.

Yeah I have worked under him for the past few years with Campus Weather Service and have learned a lot from him. Unfortunately I ran into financial problems and had to stall out my met degree for a year or two.

Here is a map by a very good meteorologist Eric Horst up at Millersville University.

http://snowball.millersville.edu/~wic/storm_outlooks/latest.jpg

We noted last night that one of the biggest challenges would be figuring out the accums east of 95 across central/eastern VA and the lower MD/VA eastern shore. Even a few hours of mod-heavy snow on the tail end can give a quick 1-3/2-4" over areas we think going in would be *primarily* all rain. I still believe the 4-5+ inch contorus will be rather tight and focused N and W, however the 1-3" zone will spread out closer to the coast because of that changeover and likely good snow rates toward the end of the storm.

Yup--the rain was heavy and washed away the salt. So maybe 0.7-0.9" was the snow portion? That's about the best case ratio (between 5:1 and 7:1) we are aiming for down by DCA. 

DCA was 0.75 during the evening snow portion...don't remember what they got in the morning.....In Mt. pleasant in 210' I had 8:1 ratios for part 2..I don't remember 850 temps

Srefs are out. All the info I have is it bumped up qpf for our friends up north. Can someone look at it for us? I'm mobile (15z)

H5 goes right over Norfolk and out the mouth of the bay. It looks like some members are just a slight tad fast to the NE (25-50 mi).

Srefs are out. All the info I have is it bumped up qpf for our friends up north. Can someone look at it for us? I'm mobile (15z)

1.5-1.75 for Baltimore south and west, 1.25 to 1.5 N&E. 1.75 - 2 by Winchester and at DC extending eastward almost to the bay there. 

Archived