INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG

239 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM TUESDAY TO 6 PM EST

WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM

TUESDAY TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER

IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE LAUREL MOUNTAINS AND SOUTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN AROUND SUNSET TUESDAY EVENING AND

CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT AND POTENTIALLY

DANGEROUS. GUSTY EAST WINDS WILL CREATE NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES

AT TIMES. THE WIND MAY ALSO LEAD TO POWER OUTAGES AS TREE LIMBS

AND POWER LINES BECOME WEIGHED DOWN BY THE SNOW.

* WINDS...EAST AT 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a lil early... but CTP just went Winter Storm Warning for Somerset/Bedford/Fulton along the PA/MD border directly north of Washington and Frederick counties in MD. Warnings are for 6 to 12 inches (includes Laurel Mts)

PIT did same for Garrett/Preston/Tucker -- 8-14 inches there

euro ens mean nudged north slightly too.. good clobbering. no se jog of low.

I suspect that SE jog is wrong, one reason is the op euro keeps pushing that further east and lessening the effect, plus I have seen that before many times on the model but not usually does it end up verifying.  Not sure why the euro seems to do that a lot.  Maybe someone with more knowledge of the dynamics of each model could give a hypothesis. 

There is definitely a consensus for a significant storm now for the mid atlantic region. Have to start paying close detail to the minute details. Ratios snow growth banding boundary layer how much qpf might be overdone etc.

and it's moving north of us too, which is a real shocker in my book

I would have never thought this had a chance to effect people in NE, but it likely will

I'm still waiting for the SREFs to come out with a 2" qpf blob encircling DCA, Central MD and Baltimore like they did for 12/19/09

anything short of that will be a disappointment :weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Without coming out of the sw juiced up on stj roids it's going to be tough to max like that. At least imo. I think we've seen the top end qpf models already and expecting more is pushing it.

One of the reasons we are already seeing such large qpf's is the speed is slow compared to similar storms and there is are some serious dynamics on the nw side of the comma. No matter which way you slice it, there is going to be a sick sick deform band rotating trough and it won't be racing out either. My avatar is actually a self portrait.

With the way you long time locals talk about pepco go look up the blizzard damage in the se mass area from the blizzard. They got a paste job and some members of the board didn't have power for a week. Winds were significantly stronger there however, but those are examples of already storm hardened communities that were hammered. At least a lot of the deadwood and trees were taken down here locally between the derecho and sandy.

and it's moving north of us too, which is a real shocker in my book

I would have never thought this had a chance to effect people in NE, but it likely will

I don't think come Thursday sne will have a huge coup over us in snow totals. I think with this track id rather be in the mid atlantic. This storm goes boom over our heads and its stacked. The metros and just nw are in the modeled sweet spot. I personally would pick Westminster as a place to be. I think Carroll sits pretty.

I don't think come Thursday sne will have a huge coup over us in snow totals. I think with this track id rather be in the mid atlantic. This storm goes boom over our heads and its stacked. The metros and just nw are in the modeled sweet spot. I personally would pick Westminster as a place to be. I think Carroll sits pretty.

If the deform band gets up here yea, but right now I would pick somewhere in NW VA with a little elevation if I had to pick one spot.

Archived