joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mitchnick what do you think about the LWX disco using I95 as the rain/snow line? I know many of our events end up that way, but it appeared that BWI soundings have suggested more of a snow than rain profile.

NAM has been all snow and GFS has been the warmer of the 2 models

still too early to say for certain, but if the NAM is right (and except for last night's 0Z run) it has been leading the way the way I see it, we should be mostly snow except to start

That is the sickest 700mb deformation zone / positive mid-level frontogenesis I've seen since the 09-10 winter for you guys (duh). This +frontogen peaks over your area with a maturing/occluding cyclone.

I can't wait to ride the edge of yet another significant snowstorm that misses my area! lol

Question: Does the NAM overdo cold air historically? I'm in SBY and until this point had dismissed this storm as a typical rain/wind nor'easter for the Eastern Shore. Now, two runs of the NAM show significant snow as this thing pulls offshore. Trying to find a skew-t for SBY, but failing. Anyone got a link?

DC sounding @ 51. Surface @ freezing. heh. Winds ripping just off the surface.

attachicon.gifnam51snding.JPG

That little wiggle near 750-800mb is there at 54hrs as well and looks fairly close to dry adiabatic just by eye.  Suggests some convective banding.  Not surprising with the crazy frontogenesis and UVVs that the NAM is suggesting.  

Someone on the northern edge is going to get SMOKED. Like HM said...frontogenesis is sick and with all that moisture...WHHHEEEEEEE!

For now, I like where DC metro sits overall...wiggles in storm track aside. Maybe temps are an issue at first.

Northern edge, like north of DC? Near the PA border perhaps? :whistle:

Someone on the northern edge is going to get SMOKED. Like HM said...frontogenesis is sick and with all that moisture...WHHHEEEEEEE!

For now, I like where DC metro sits overall...wiggles in storm track aside. Maybe temps are an issue at first.

ANy good frontogenesis sites? 

Soundings look to stay at or below freezing all the way down to just about surface from 45h on near DCA

Northern edge, like north of DC? Near the PA border perhaps? :whistle:

I wish we had euro support but the nam/gfs has been a ship anchor for 24+ hours. And we know how these things go. IF those ridiculous bands set up, 25-50 miles north get destroyed as well more often than not. 

Could you post those h7 maps that you post in big storms?

Archived