• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Favorite Snowstorm?

gymengineer

Borrowed from the New England subforum: What's your single favorite snowstorm? Just one-- so not like a 2/5-6/10 and 2/9-10/10 combo.

Now that there's been some time after 09/10, I would say my favorite snowstorm has switched back to 1/96. Three factors made it above 2/5-6/10 even though it was less snow and less intense rates: 1) Winds were a bit stronger. 2) Drifts were the highest I've ever experienced. 3) It was super cold during the storm.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jan 96 for sure around Carroll Co.  30+ inches of wind, and I mean wind driven snow with gusts probably near 50mph at times.  The biggest single dumping of a storm since I have lived here, including the mega twins in Feb 2010 which dumped 26" and 27" for a combined 53".  I love me some snow/wind combo and 96 had it all...pure powder no mixing too.

I might add it was pert near the coldest storm too from beginning to end.  Only Feb 2003 was colder.  Actually, Jan 66 was likely the coldest of them all for my lifetime but not nearly as much snow as any of the ones I just mentioned.

Nothing tops January 96 for me. Was living in Southern York Co, PA at the time. The drifts up there were absurd and like nothing I've seen outside of traveling in the mountainous areas out west. We were not able to get out of our neighborhood for days afterwards. It took front end loaders to clear the streets. When we were finally able to get out on to the main road to drive around it was live we were in a snow tunnel because the snow was piled up so high on each side of the road.

If I were to use depth as my gauge it is Feb 5/6th here in Leesburg with 30-34" only in my wildest dreams did I imagine 30+ " of snow.

Probably get smoked for this but I thought the valentines day sleet bomb in 07 was really fun and cool. Great memories walking in the back yard on top of the snow pack with the kids

No contest for me.

Superstorm. Hands down the most incredible weather event of my lifetime. I would love to see an event like that again with the models and media coverage options that we have now.

13 inches of snow I Birmingham, 4 inches in the Fla panhandle, 6 degrees in Knoxville, 19 degrees in Augusta, 100 mile per hour winds in the Smokies, 144 mph on Mt Washington? In the middle of March? No, for me this storm will always be the King.

Absolutely PD1. I don't know if everyone here remembers that but in DC was just incredible. Temps in teens at start. Moderate know right off the bat Sunday noonish. But what I will never forget, and why I love snow, was because of the snow fall rates etched in my mind pre dawn and post dawn Monday morning. Been here for every major one since. It wins hands down. Only 2 and a half for blizzard 66, but based only on dads pictures that wins for drifting.

Absolutely PD1. I don't know if everyone here remembers that but in DC was just incredible. Temps in teens at start. Moderate know right off the bat Sunday noonish. But what I will never forget, and why I love snow, was because of the snow fall rates etched in my mind pre dawn and post dawn Monday morning. Been here for every major one since. It wins hands down. Only 2 and a half for blizzard 66, but based only on dads pictures that wins for drifting.

Feb 79 is definitely a runner up for coldest storm.  It is likely the heaviest snow rates over a three hour period that I have ever seen too.  It was heavy from about 2am when I noticed the wind beginning to howl outback, but really ramped up in the Baltimore area between 7-10am just before it shut off.

so many decent ones unfortunately spread out over such a long period

but it's probably a tie between 2/6/10 and 1/25/00

2/6/10 was magic because everyone and every computer saw the signs 5 days out that a big 1 was likely, then w/in 3 days a big 1 was a lock and the rest is history

1/25/00 because it is what makes weenies weenies-we all hold out hope beyond rationality for a storm to hit us even though every model and met says forget it and 99.9% don't hit us, but 1/25/00 did and BWI measured 14.9"

Feb 5-6 2010 for the sheer amount of snow.

Feb 9-10 2010 is a close second, but mainly because of all the snow already on the ground that was blowing around with the new snow.  I like extreme winds almost as much as snow, especially when accompanied by precip.

i was too young, but i remember staring out onto our balcony and the snow was taller than i was.  that's all i remember, was still a cub at the time.

Archived