• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Favorite Snowstorm?

gymengineer

My favorite was definitely feb 1979 as that had the highest snowfall rates I've ever seen and you could literally watch your car disappear from view in a matter of several hours early monday morning.  It also is the only time I'd seen a road like 450 with no traffic with the road not even having any tracks on it.  I also recorded the most snow from a single storm. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite was definitely feb 1979 as that had the highest snowfall rates I've ever seen and you could literally watch your car disappear from view in a matter of several hours early monday morning. It also is the only time I'd seen a road like 450 with no traffic with the road not even having any tracks on it. I also recorded the most snow from a single storm.

Glad to hear that Wes. I know if many others here were around or could remember that storm it would top their list. You don't forget intensity like that!!!!

usedtobe, on 19 Jan 2013 - 21:23, said:

My favorite was definitely feb 1979 as that had the highest snowfall rates I've ever seen and you could literally watch your car disappear from view in a matter of several hours early monday morning.  It also is the only time I'd seen a road like 450 with no traffic with the road not even having any tracks on it.  I also recorded the most snow from a single storm. 

This is the storm that set my passion for weather; especially snow.  I was 11 at the time and remember going to bed with the expectation that we would see 3-6 inches of snow.  I woke up early and looked out the window next to my bed.  I was surprised that I could not see anything but white.  Curious, I went downstairs and looked out the front door window.  I was amazed at the site of complete white out.  The snow was falling faster and harder than anything I had ever seen before and I was in complete awestruck.  I must have stood by the front door window for an hour just watching it pour snow.  Your description of watching the cars disappear in a matter of hours was exactly right.  THis is also the first time that my neighborhood got together to dig out our street.  No way Baltimore City was going to plow anytime soon, so after a couple of days all of the able bodies got out and shovelled out the street.  It was a real party!

Of course the blizzard of 83 was also lovely with the thunder snow.

Really easy for me.

February 2003. I lived in Frederick at the time. The cold and depth of snow made it awesome. A few plows were abandoned in my neighborhood. It's the only time I've seen two or more feet IMBY.

Moved to MD a few months after Jan. 96. January 30th 2010 is probably my second most memorable storm. Low 20's/upper teens during the entire event with some of the heaviest rates I have ever witnessed.

i'd say Jan 96, but that lull kinda sucked where I was . 

JAn 22, 87 and feb 22 87 were both awesome as well. 

i would love to see a radar of feb 22, 1987.  that was a freakish event.  i remember they were calling for like 1-3" and then it turned into 3-6, and then 4-8, and we ended up with about a foot.  heavy, wet snow that came down furiously.  i think we lost power for a few days.

Really easy for me.

February 2003. I lived in Frederick at the time. The cold and depth of snow made it awesome. A few plows were abandoned in my neighborhood. It's the only time I've seen two or more feet IMBY.

Moved to MD a few months after Jan. 96. January 30th 2010 is probably my second most memorable storm. Low 20's/upper teens during the entire event with some of the heaviest rates I have ever witnessed.

i was in mont village at the time (northern moco) and i think we easily got 2 feet from that.  i think it helped to be a little further north of dc that storm.  the rate of the snow was very consistent.

1993 was an amazing storm in that it involved so much real estate, and was so potent. The lead up to the storm was so well forecasted; !the Weather Channel was in its "Golden Age" and watching the coverage was weather weenie fantasy. I lived in Frederick,'MD at the time. The intensity of the precipitation was amazing; especially during periods of sleet. The wind the following day was intense. There were snow drifts that required front end loaders to break through. New Design Road (for any Fred. Folks) was like a tunnel. There was 6" of compacted ice on my street for close to a week. 1993 was a genuine Blizzard in MBY and I'm not sure any storm has really rivaledmits intensity. I recall the radar showing an eye at the center of the comma for a time as it worked it's way past NC.

usedtobe, on 19 Jan 2013 - 21:23, said:

This is the storm that set my passion for weather; especially snow.  I was 11 at the time and remember going to bed with the expectation that we would see 3-6 inches of snow.  I woke up early and looked out the window next to my bed.  I was surprised that I could not see anything but white.  Curious, I went downstairs and looked out the front door window.  I was amazed at the site of complete white out.  The snow was falling faster and harder than anything I had ever seen before and I was in complete awestruck.  I must have stood by the front door window for an hour just watching it pour snow.  Your description of watching the cars disappear in a matter of hours was exactly right.  THis is also the first time that my neighborhood got together to dig out our street.  No way Baltimore City was going to plow anytime soon, so after a couple of days all of the able bodies got out and shovelled out the street.  It was a real party!

I think for those of us old enough to remember the first Presidents Day storm, it easily tops the list. First of all, the temperature when the snow began on Sunday, February 18, 1979, was in the teens (the temperature range that day was 6-15 at DCA). Second, no one to my knowledge forecast anything like the 18.7 inches of snow that fell at DCA on the 18th and 19th. So, as you note, awakening on Monday morning and not even being able to see parked cars in the heavy drifts was mind-boggling. That entire morning, all of the secondary roads surrounding my neighborhood were taken over by picture-takers who could not believe what they were photographing.

I think for those of us old enough to remember the first Presidents Day storm, it easily tops the list. First of all, the temperature when the snow began on Sunday, February 18, 1979, was in the teens (the temperature range that day was 6-15 at DCA). Second, no one to my knowledge forecast anything like the 18.7 inches of snow that fell at DCA on the 18th and 19th. So, as you note, awakening on Monday morning and not even being able to see parked cars in the heavy drifts was mind-boggling. That entire morning, all of the secondary roads surrounding my neighborhood were taken over by picture-takers who could not believe what they were photographing.

I remember 79. Nothing topped that in terms of total snow depth until 2010 in myb. However, I don't remember it being as ferocious as the 93 storm. With that said, 79 was an awesome storm and we missed a week of school. At the end of that week we were wearing shorts!

i would love to see a radar of feb 22, 1987.  that was a freakish event.  i remember they were calling for like 1-3" and then it turned into 3-6, and then 4-8, and we ended up with about a foot.  heavy, wet snow that came down furiously.  i think we lost power for a few days.

Both Jan 96 and Feb 87 were in Wilmington, DE for me--

in Feb 87-- we went from a chance of SHOWERS Sunday night (Saturday evening) To waking up under a WSwatch. Upgraded to warning for up to 8 inches.-- at 10 pm, just after the snow started they said 4-5 inches. This was one of the only times I can recall their not being a "range" or whatever.  We had 15 inches or so.

Mine too since I like super cold as well as heavy snow. 9F at the height of the storm with the CCB cranking from due north.

The most memorable part of PD2 was the initial overrunning event and warm air advection, imo. Some big rates in those bands. However, I went over to a prolonged period of rain sleet, which cut into my snow totals and marked the end of major accumulations. Still ended up with just under 20".

I've though long and hard about this. I have to say my favorite was 12/09 due to the cold temperatures at onset, no precipitation issues, snow all day, etc.

A close runner up for me would be 1/00. I was living in Upper Marlboro at the time, close to Six Flags just off 214 (Central Ave.), and I swear up and down that we saw at least 17 inches and perhaps closer to 20 from that event, as my location was close to the maxima. All this when earlier that day a whiff had been forecast. I'll always remember Sue Palka's face on the 10 o'clock news that night.

Neither of these storms, which both divered approx. 17-20 inches of pure snow, in Upper Marlboro, top the my list as far as accumulation is concerned, but then the difference between 20 inches and 25 (February 5-6 in D.C.) is awfully miniscule at that level.

I know February '03 had mixing down there.... How much of an impact would it be if there was no mixing?

Did Feb '10 have mixing? Jan '96?

Personally, I was in Upper Marlboro in 02/2003, about 15 miles due east of DCA, and experienced sleet in the afternoon hours. Drastically cut down accumulations, when compared to BWI, which recorded 28". I got about 20" despite.

I was in D.C. In February 2010 and experienced no mixing in either storm, part of what made they winter so special, as no major system that winter mixed. Got 25" in the laudable 5-6 storm and 14" in the sister storm 9-10. I was in NE D.C., although relatively far from river in the northern portions on northeast.

I know February '03 had mixing down there.... How much of an impact would it be if there was no mixing?

Wasn't living up north during the Blizzard of 96 but Feb '10 was mostly an all snow event, but it was a very wet snow and just wrecked everything it touched and was hard to shovel. The most severe snowstorm in terms of accums, not necessarily interesting tho. The main snow growth region never moved north of NYC, deadly cutoff...

I remember 79. Nothing topped that in terms of total snow depth until 2010 in myb. However, I don't remember it being as ferocious as the 93 storm. With that said, 79 was an awesome storm and we missed a week of school. At the end of that week we were wearing shorts!

Odd that you would say that.  I think the Feb 83 blizz beat PD1 easily for snow depth (living in Baltimore too) as did Jan 96 (in Westminster) and Feb 03.  As I mentioned earlier the thing I recall most of the PD1 storm is incredible snowfall rates and the surprise factor of getting such a huge monster when only 4-8 was forecast the night before.  

I believe I would have had my all time biggest dumping in Feb 03 had it not been for the sleet mix overnight on Sunday/Mon. morning.  I had 25.5" total in that storm, and firmly believe I would have approached 33-35 inches without mixing which would have beaten the Jan 96 total of 30" which is my highest single storm total.

79 all day long for me. I was a snow weenie since birth I think. I was 10 in 79 and those memories are burned into my mind. Biggest storm I had ever seen. Downright shocking when I opened the garage door to start shoveling. 

I didn't live in MD from 92-99 so I missed 93 and 96. PDII was my fave since I moved back. Was living in germantown at the time. We got pretty much pummeled out there. 

Both Jan 96 and Feb 87 were in Wilmington, DE for me--

in Feb 87-- we went from a chance of SHOWERS Sunday night (Saturday evening) To waking up under a WSwatch. Upgraded to warning for up to 8 inches.-- at 10 pm, just after the snow started they said 4-5 inches. This was one of the only times I can recall their not being a "range" or whatever.  We had 15 inches or so.

i was in silver spring, md at the time.  i remember the ranges here, and they kept upping it every hour it seemed.  snow started at around 7pm and it just went crazy for like 5-6 hours...the flakes were huge...almost adding an orange tint to the night.   it was definitely one of my favorite storms.

there was a little period of sleet during pd2 where i was at in northern mont county, md, but not enough to really matter.  was in silver spring during jan 96 and we had a little sleet as well, but again, nothing to make much of a difference.  both storms were heavyweights here.

79 all day long for me. I was a snow weenie since birth I think. I was 10 in 79 and those memories are burned into my mind. Biggest storm I had ever seen. Downright shocking when I opened the garage door to start shoveling. 

I didn't live in MD from 92-99 so I missed 93 and 96. PDII was my fave since I moved back. Was living in germantown at the time. We got pretty much pummeled out there. 

You know, Phin's area down to me always seems to do so well during the biggies, and even though he does better than me in the other events, we do similarly well in terms of the biggest storms. I haven't been around that long, but I've got to see many nice storms 

Highest totals in storms I've experienced

1. PDII- 34" 

2. Feb 5/6 2010: 31"

3. 96: 28" 

4. Dec 19: 21" 

5. Feb 9/10: 20" 

6. Jan 25, 2000: 19.5" 

7. 2006er: 14" 

Lotta big storms, I loved PDII so much though, I love them all, but PDII sorta gets the nod in terms of overall snow being everywhere, with crazy conditions wise feb 9/10, had over 42" on the ground for that one at the peak and winds gusting over 40-45mph. Was insanity. 

Honorable mention to 1/26/11 for the insane thundersnow for several hours, the 3" morning surprise that no one really saw coming, and the 3" an hour rates that gave me a total of 11" for the event. 

The most memorable part of PD2 was the initial overrunning event and warm air advection, imo. Some big rates in those bands. However, I went over to a prolonged period of rain sleet, which cut into my snow totals and marked the end of major accumulations. Still ended up with just under 20".

I believe I would have had my all time biggest dumping in Feb 03 had it not been for the sleet mix overnight on Sunday/Mon. morning.  I had 25.5" total in that storm, and firmly believe I would have approached 33-35 inches without mixing which would have beaten the Jan 96 total of 30" which is my highest single storm total.

There was no mixing in Clarksburg and for places to the N and NE. My 28" was on the lower end for places that did not mix. Placed just N and NE were up in the 30"-35" range. Like you, Weatherguy, I marveled at the WAA. It started for me while the parent low was still back over Missouri. Thin, 100mi wide band that stretched east from the primary all to way to my house that just sat there as the primary moved closer and lasted up until the transfer to the coastal.

There was no mixing in Clarksburg and for places to the N and NE. My 28" was on the lower end for places that did not mix. Placed just N and NE were up in the 30"-35" range. Like you, Weatherguy, I marveled at the WAA. It started for me while the parent low was still back over Missouri. Thin, 100mi wide band that stretched east from the primary all to way to my house that just sat there as the primary moved closer and lasted up until the transfer to the coastal.

Well I am north of Clarksburg and there was definite mixing.  In my records I noted a sleet/snow mix between 2am-6am on the 17th.

Knickerbocker- 1922. Roof caved in at the Knickerbocker theatre, hence the name. 

DCA's single greatest snowfall since record keeping began. 

I was hoping you had to be alive to experience it, and if you were credit to you. 

January 25th, 2013

I was going to do this method also haha, but not one for jinxing it. 

Archived